interchanging tail gate latches

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

silversmith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
Tail gate latches swap:
Does anyone know if you can use the tailgate latches on earlier ram(2003 to 2017) on a 2019 ram tailgate.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
If it's for your 2019 Cummins truck, the tailgate gate I believe has electric release latches something prior years didn't use. The latch pin is most likely still the same size and location as the prior years if yours is the standard tailgate now.

OP
OP
S

silversmith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
Thanks for the info, I'll run down to the nearest salvage yard and dig up a set.
Jerry

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Thanks for the info, I'll run down to the nearest salvage yard and dig up a set.
Jerry
There’s quite a bit more to it than that. You need the release rods that connect to the handle. Since the electronic handle is different, you’d need the old handle too, which is too small for the 2019+ handle hole. Old handle also uses the analog backup camera, so you would lose the use of that too.
Then you need to wire in the secondary lock/unlock wires to the bcm, and program that if you want the handle to lock and unlock.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
@Jimmy07 the OP is most likely looking into install a fiver tailgate onto his truck. They're notched so the pin can line up with the hitch without opening and are usually louvered to allow air to flow through them. The tailgates usually don't lock and probably doesn't have a mount for the camera.