2019 Ram 1500 electronic tailgate crapp will not open

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sean McGillicuddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie's tail gate will not open.
I miss the old mechanical opening system.
This new fangled crapp is the only thing on this truck I hate .
One side sounds like it wants to open, the other nothing.
The tonneau cover and ice and snow help ..Ugggg
Is there a trick to by pass this ?
It opens when you do not really need it but if you plan to get hay it will not open or if you jam the tailgate close and your against a hay bale it has a hard time to open.
I have has several dealers look and they like to blame the tonneau. ice, rain etc etc. etc.

OP
OP
Sean McGillicuddy

Sean McGillicuddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So yesterday it decided to open o_O ... I took the back off to check the plug/connection and sprayed a bunch of lithium grease all over the actuator's moving parts... hope this helps..

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
So yesterday it decided to open o_O ... I took the back off to check the plug/connection and sprayed a bunch of lithium grease all over the actuator's moving parts... hope this helps..
I'm thinking it would have been better to use silicone spray instead. Lithium grease will only attract dirt and make a mess.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
sprayed a bunch of lithium grease all over the actuator's moving parts... hope this helps..
Been using this stuff for years to keep mechanism and locks from freezing in the winter
It doesn't attract dirt like lithium grease does.

Musky Mike

Reaction score
Ram Year
I don't really think anything you do is going help. Adjusting the strikers will help, but when you put pressure against the tailgate, it binds the latches and switching solenoids aren't strong enough to over come the pressure. The problem is the solenoids to move the latches are too weak.

Last edited: