Interesting test between an EV F-150 and a 6.2 gas powered GM towing a trailer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

star_deceiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Golden To Revelstoke is 149 kms over the Rogers pass with no charging stations (that I can find) in between.

2653B0EF-E154-4A25-8634-B3F8B8997589.jpeg

The standard range version of the battery takes 45mins from 15-80%.

Wonder if it would make it towing a normal travel trailer? Might take over a day to get from Calgary to the Okanagan.

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Golden To Revelstoke is 149 kms over the Rogers pass with no charging stations (that I can find) in between.

View attachment 497121

The standard range version of the battery takes 45mins from 15-80%.

Wonder if it would make it towing a normal travel trailer? Might take over a day to get from Calgary to the Okanagan.
Anywhere Saskatchewan / northern Alberta / northern BC / northern Manitoba would almost fall into the same catagory,also throw in -40 temps to compound the problem lol

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
This was the 2nd of these tests I have seen. The first was a Rivian EV track vs an EcoBoost F150. They were towing a 7000lb enclosed trailer and the Rivian only made it 90 miles on a charge.
These guys in this video even said these trucks are really only good for towing locally.

And in the other one I saw they determined it cost .24/mile with the Rivian and .27/mile for the F150 and they used premium in the F150. They said if they had used regular it would have been about even. If you were charging at home (or for free somewhere) then the EV would be cheaper obviously.

Randy Grant

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This was the 2nd of these tests I have seen. The first was a Rivian EV track vs an EcoBoost F150. They were towing a 7000lb enclosed trailer and the Rivian only made it 90 miles on a charge.
These guys in this video even said these trucks are really only good for towing locally.

And in the other one I saw they determined it cost .24/mile with the Rivian and .27/mile for the F150 and they used premium in the F150. They said if they had used regular it would have been about even. If you were charging at home (or for free somewhere) then the EV would be cheaper obviously.
No such thing as "free". Even if you charge at home, it costs. I own an RV park, and just for the heck of it plugged in the wife's Prius to see what 27 miles was costing us. $0.75. Cheep, but not free.

Fediej

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
No such thing as "free". Even if you charge at home, it costs. I own an RV park, and just for the heck of it plugged in the wife's Prius to see what 27 miles was costing us. $0.75. Cheep, but not free.
There are certain shopping centers and hotels that do offer free charging stations to their customers as a courtesy. But they're not exactly readily available everywhere.

Fatbob Frank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
My wife worked for the Rural Electric Company ( till she took early retirement last week)
They have the only charging station in a 3 county area.
Last year to promote electric vehicles they purchased a Tesla.
Every employee had the opportunity to use it for work use at some point.
( My wife said it was scary fast but pretty cool to drive)
They just tallied the annual cost of charging it for the year.
7,200 miles for the year. Total cost to charge=$217.
That's about $.03/mile...

Livinthedream

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Something that is nearly always ignored in every battery discussion is temp. Live anywhere that the temps fall below 20 in the winter and will will only see a portion of the warm weather mileage. This is due to the battery heater running while sitting unused and the poor efficiency of the batteries in cold weather. Extreme high temps will also result in a drop because the battery cooling system will have to run while the vehicle is sitting unused.

mark

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
If you were charging at home (or for free somewhere) then the EV would be cheaper obviously.
Unless you don't pay for electricity, how is charging at home free? Some of the at home chargers are 240V and require a 40 amp circuit, for size reference that's equivalent/more than the Air Conditioning for the house. Wait till people find out they need to upgrade the electrical service to their house as it doesn't have enough capacity for the EV chargers.
As for the free charging stations those will go away.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Unless you don't pay for electricity, how is charging at home free? Some of the at home chargers are 240V and require a 40 amp circuit, for size reference that's equivalent/more than the Air Conditioning for the house. Wait till people find out they need to upgrade the electrical service to their house as it doesn't have enough capacity for the EV chargers.
I’ve explained this too. Some of the home chargers go up to a 240v 60amp breaker. Bigger than an oven breaker. Lol. Try that one. And I have customers with small 125 or 150 amp services in older rural areas that try to buy electric cars and I tell them they’d need to get a panel change and service upgrade and they about crap their pants. Same goes for people who want tankless water heaters/instant water heaters…

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
And we still haven't gotten to what to do with all those worn out batteries....
Those will be sold to a place I worked at for 10 years right across town from me (Inmetco). They separate the different metals and use the nickel for their stainless then recycle the cadmium and re-sell it. Not sure about other metals as we mainly focused on NiCads back then. But even then the cadmium plant was a loss. We knew going in that we wouldn't make money off the cadmium but that was offset by the nickel. The bigger issue was the fires we had and the environmental impact. We had several major fires that could be seen for miles and you could smell it in the air even on the other side of town. I left there in 2005 so not sure what they do now as far as batteries.

1657282720370.png
1657282731392.png1657282748703.png1657282766515.png

Randy Grant

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
240 50/60 amp is for fast chargers like the Tesla and the like. I charge the Prius on a 110 household circuit ant also works out to a little less than $0.03 per mile. And it costs a lot less than a Tesla. With mostly in town and short trips the lie-o-meter says we are getting 160 to 190 MPG. Beats my ram at 15 to 20 MPG.

Fediej

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
@dhay13 isn't necessarily saying charging at home is free, it's just cheaper than using the quick charging stations.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I didn't say at home was free...I said 'charging at home or somewhere free would be cheaper', meaning if at a hotel that offered free charging, a friends house, etc. Nothing in life is 'free'

Fatbob Frank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
240 50/60 amp is for fast chargers like the Tesla and the like. I charge the Prius on a 110 household circuit ant also works out to a little less than $0.03 per mile. And it costs a lot less than a Tesla. With mostly in town and short trips the lie-o-meter says we are getting 160 to 190 MPG. Beats my ram at 15 to 20 MPG.
Yeah, as of now we have no plans to upgrade to a fast charger either.
Her Grand Cherokee ( if it ever comes) is a PHEV that is capable of using 110 too.
Sure it takes longer, but when she parks it it's usually there over night so it isn't really an issue.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
My neighbor bought an electric car last year. Over the winter he could not drive it to work when it was more than -20 F as he could not make it the 30 miles, takes about an hour during rush hour, to the office. Even at -5 he had to charge it at the office to get home as it is parked outside. Car or truck, I think it is going to be a while before full electric is a viable option in places that get to -50 like it does here.

Last edited:

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
If only we could figure out a way for these electric vehicles to be able to run on some sort of, I don't know, fuel of some kind. Maybe take advantage of the existing petroleum based infrastructure all over the planet. It's a crazy idea I know. I call it a "hybrid" because it's a melding of two technologies.
Oh, who am I kidding. It would never work.

Jebb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I remember back when digital compact discs ("CD's") first came out. The sound quality was unbelievable - but you couldn't play them on your vinyl turntable and they couldn't be played in the cassette/8-track player in your car. So everybody had to go out and buy new hardware to support the new technology. USERS had to change to adapt the new technology.

Electric vehicles are the future. But too many people, it seems, focus on the current shortcomings and don't look any further. What we should be looking at, instead, is how we CAN make it work. So many nay-sayers compare EVs to fossil fuel vehicles with the worst possible scenarios they can find. Yes, dino-powered vehicles are CURRENTLY better for long range. But back when gasoline cars were first brought out you couldn't go very far with them either. "Gas station"? What's a "gas station"?

If you've ever driven a late model EV you know that the performance that can be obtained from EVs kicks the crap out of any gas powered car. 0-60 in less than 2 seconds? Good God! And with no exhaust and very little noise. And don't forget that all diesel-powered locomotives are actually propelled by ELECTRIC traction motors. Unbelievable towing torque.

As the EV infrastructure builds and new battery technologies emerge it will change the way we live. And for the better, IMO.

BTW - I love my Hemi - right now. But when the new Ram EV comes out ...

Last edited:

JKLines

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Limited
Engine
Cummins HO
Saw that same article and I believe they were toy trailers that were empty. I then saw another article where a Riven pickup was used to tow a trailer with a Shelby GT on the trailer from I believe Detroit to somewhere in California. Long trip. Ran into many of the same issues. Could only go 100 miles between charges. Had to stop to charge their truck something like 27 times. The other issue both tests ran into has to do with the way charging stations are set up in a row along the edge of a curb. The one article they said they were required to drop their trailer while they were charging and then hook it back up after ... so add that time to each charge and that adds up as well.

So basically, if you own an electric pickup ... you own a truck that can't work. And the government solution to buy electric vehicles ... how many electric semi-tractors do you see on the road ... zero because there aren't any ... and if the infrastructure is not set up properly for charging pickups with a trailer in tow they definitely aren't set up for a semi. I believe Elon is realizing the problems with electric work vehicles and has I believe put both his pickup and semi on hold for now.

And as for the cost of energy ... those electric charging stations are probably subsidized at this point and gas is taxed pretty heavily. You already have states talking about lost revenue from electric cars and wanting to somehow tax drivers of electric vehicles so that they are contributing their fair share to the maintenance of roads.

Then you have the long term issues of disposal of batteries with no solution for that. Car fires involving electric cars that are almost impossible to put out. In one case I'm aware of, the fire department had to have a trench dug and essentially buried the car to put out the fire. It was one that had been in an accident as was sitting in a junk yard for a couple weeks and self ignited. Any concerns there? And as far as additional environmental impact ... how about the impact of the mining for the materials to build all of those batteries.

I'm not against electric vehicles. My only point is the technology isn't there yet and there are way too many issues for the government to be telling us to buy electric cars and shutting down coal plants and natural gas generation plants. I had a high school electronics teacher back in the 70s that used to talk about a bread boxed sized nuclear generator. Now that makes sense. We use nuclear power for ships and subs so it's proven technology for driving big loads using electricity.