Intermittent Clicking Sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Izzie1701

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Can’t figure out the ticking noise. Best way to describe it is a hockey card on bike spokes. It seems to come and go and nothing seems to cause it. Only occurs while moving and occurs at all speeds. Harder to hear at high speeds but it’s there. Sound doesn’t click faster or slower at different speeds. It seems to go away if I punch the gas but not always. Seems to be different amounts of time it goes for. I originally thought maybe a CV axle as my boots ripped but I don’t get the typical grinding when I turn and it’s not a constant sound. I checked my front dif and it’s topped up and no metal shavings. Front drive shaft U joints are all tight. Not sure if it’s related but don’t think it is by I’m throwing an intermittent cam shaft position code as well which is newer then the sound though. I think it’s a completely deprecate issue but as I’m not sure maybe it is something related. Trucks a 2015 Ram 1500 with 230,000km. Drive on gravel a lot so figure it’s the cv especially with a ripped boot but confused why it’s not grinding no while turning if it is in fact a CV.

sagre301

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
I have a 2018 and at first at 46000 miles it was real faint and intermittent. It has gotten increasingly louder and all the time I am moving now. Keeping pace with the speed odometer it seems and bumps in the road changes or interrupts the sound .

sagre301

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
I found the source of the ticking, it turned out to be a fluid line possibly a transmission fluid line that the fastener that was glued to the brace that supports the front driveshaft holding the fluid line in place came unglued and was rubbing against the forward driveshaft. Almost wore through the braided line. A tie wrap and ta-da fixed.