intermittent rear drivers brake smoking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
twice in the last month and a bit when it has been in excess of 35c ambient temperature I have had my rear drivers side brakes start smoking in the middle of a trip.

the first time I was on the way home from work, 15 minutes in to a 30 min drive I was on the highway and it smelled like brakes but there was lots of traffic and I was ha thats for sure not me! no dragging or loss of power and the smell slowly went away.
get into town and its smelling again so I stop in the closest parking lot and get out to do the old touch your wheels test and sure enough the left rear was too hot to touch and a fine wisp of smoke was coming from the pads it seemed. all others normal.
I was like **** me Im going home! less than 5 mins away at in town speeds.
bring it back to work the next morning cause I dont have a garage at home. went fine.
after work i removed the caliper from the disc, nothing was jammed. the pads were as free as can be ( I do a full brake service every spring) the piston was perfect, no signs of corrosion in the bore. I lubed it up and compressed and extended a few times nothing out of the ordinary. I then deglazed the disc and pads. once cleaned up the pads were in great condition considering what had happened (wagner severe duty)
I buttoned everything back up and road tested and it was great, braking well and not sticking, which was a good thing because I was taking a 500km+ road trip the day after and it didn't stick at all no problems.

The only thing I didnt do was remove the disc to see the parking brake assembly. I tested the parking brake with the truck in neutral on the jackstands and it worked perfectly. I also use it every day. I never thought about it being the culprit I was sure it was the caliper but I never found anything conclusive.

fast forward a month and bit more than 1000km later during a longer weekend road trip with sudden stop and go traffic on the highway (construction zones, idiots in general) about 1 hour into the trip I get that great brake smell again! I was about 15 or 20 minutes away from my target gas station and when I got there it was hot but not burning hot. you could tell the rotor had been blued again and there was a faint brake smell. I carried on to the destination another half hour away then went 160km home and everything was fine, aside from reduced rear brake power but no sticking.

that was last weekend and its been fine since. I am going to parts shotgun this one because I have to do it one shot. will order 2 new calipers, discs, pads and parking brake shoes, just incase.

Im thinking out of round caliper piston that only sticks when super hot. this is just a theory thats where I want you guys to help me haha, what could cause this intermittent sticking?
Thanks for reading!

2021 classic 1500 cc warlock 4x4 hemi 77k kms

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
At this point, that's probably the way to deal with it.

There could be a few reasons, like rust build-up under the caliper seal, a sliding pin that hangs up in a certain spot, a ridge where the brake pad goes. Let us know if new parts solves the problem once and for all.
:waytogo:

GoodSignGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Great tip LP.

a friend of mine just found this on his truck yesterday. After replacing all of his brakes and it was still doing it that it was the brake line because it was in fact damaged by The Hanger itself or at least slightly compressed so you should definitely check into the hanger directly near the caliper upline and pry it out a little bit and then get some free play in there if it's pinched that could be your problem. Probably should always be replaced as well in case it's internally damaged and acting as a check valve which this would do the same thing as the last poster just said. Prob worth a shot.

if it is just pry it out to loosen it grip (sometimes corrosion can build up in the bracket.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
caliper SLIDE PINS is my best guess

How do I know if my caliper slide pins are bad?

d9GcRhpSmQcsdcJ290Xl1n8NY4mT8NmirykxHDlc8Jp_LvDA&s.jpg

Here's how you can tell if your brake caliper has gone bad:
  1. Pulling to one side. A seized brake caliper or caliper sliders can cause the vehicle to pull to one side or the other while braking. ...
  2. Fluid leaks. ...
  3. Spongy or soft brake pedal. ...
  4. Reduced braking ability. ...
  5. Uneven brake pad wear. ...
  6. Dragging sensation. ...
  7. Abnormal noise.

1 MEAN66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT-MDS
Do Not forget the Flex brake hoses. There are official pinch tools for these that will not harm them. Lots of people use vise grips and never have a problem. But they can "restrict' (read crush- the actually insides of the hose). Easy way (but time consuming) to fine out if it is caliper or hose: Put your floor jack in the back of the truck and take they tools you need to remove tire/wheel assembly, also a wrench to crack open the bleeder.. Drive it till it gets hot. Stop jack it, verify which wheel, remove tire, Crack the bleeder, If it releases it is the hose! After repeated stops the hose restriction does not allow fluid to leave caliper, brake stay applied, so friction still there brakes get HOT. If stays "stuck" piston in caliper swelling/cocked or? whatever and will not go back into bore of caliper. Remember brake fluid (less dot 5) accepts moisture. Moisture and metal cause pitting and/or rust. Which is the MAIN reason to change brake fluid. Volaries/Aspens were an early car that were popular to have a newly invented caliper piston - Phenolic - read plastic, that could not take the heat brakes can generate Excess of 250 degrees on just a "little old lady' type stop. They swelled up and seized. I think you would be better off if you diagnose what the problem is before just throw parts at it! Just an "old Farts" rants.

Green_Manalishi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here's how you can tell if you'e getting old:
  1. Pulling to one side. A bad knee or hip injury can cause you to limp to one side or the other while walking. ...
  2. Fluid leaks. ...
  3. Spongy or soft belly ...
  4. Reduced thinking ability. ...
  5. Uneven Crock wear. ...
  6. Dragging sensation. ...
  7. Abnormal noise from the rear. ...
Fixed it, sir!

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
twice in the last month and a bit when it has been in excess of 35c ambient temperature I have had my rear drivers side brakes start smoking in the middle of a trip.

the first time I was on the way home from work, 15 minutes in to a 30 min drive I was on the highway and it smelled like brakes but there was lots of traffic and I was ha thats for sure not me! no dragging or loss of power and the smell slowly went away.
get into town and its smelling again so I stop in the closest parking lot and get out to do the old touch your wheels test and sure enough the left rear was too hot to touch and a fine wisp of smoke was coming from the pads it seemed. all others normal.
bring it back to work the next morning cause I dont have a garage at home. went fine.
after work i removed the caliper from the disc, nothing was jammed. the pads were as free as can be ( I do a full brake service every spring) the piston was perfect, no signs of corrosion in the bore. I lubed it up and compressed and extended a few times nothing out of the ordinary. I then deglazed the disc and pads. once cleaned up the pads were in great condition considering what had happened (wagner severe duty)
I buttoned everything back up and road tested and it was great, braking well and not sticking, which was a good thing because I was taking a 500km+ road trip the day after and it didn't stick at all no problems.

The only thing I didnt do was remove the disc to see the parking brake assembly. I tested the parking brake with the truck in neutral on the jackstands and it worked perfectly. I also use it every day. I never thought about it being the culprit I was sure it was the caliper but I never found anything conclusive.

fast forward a month and bit more than 1000km later during a longer weekend road trip with sudden stop and go traffic on the highway (construction zones, idiots in general) about 1 hour into the trip I get that great brake smell again! I was about 15 or 20 minutes away from my target gas station and when I got there it was hot but not burning hot. you could tell the rotor had been blued again and there was a faint brake smell. I carried on to the destination another half hour away then went 160km home and everything was fine, aside from reduced rear brake power but no sticking.

that was last weekend and its been fine since. I am going to parts shotgun this one because I have to do it one shot. will order 2 new calipers, discs, pads and parking brake shoes, just incase.

Im thinking out of round caliper piston that only sticks when super hot. this is just a theory thats where I want you guys to help me haha, what could cause this intermittent sticking?
Thanks for reading!

Replace the short flex hose to that caliper. You are describing classic internal intermittent hose blockage due to collapse. You're replacing everything else, right.... heck man, replace both of them for good measure. Replacing the flex hose to the top of the diff from the steel line running up front might be prudent as well.

OP
OP
hemihustlin

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Replace the short flex hose to that caliper. You are describing classic internal intermittent hose blockage due to collapse. You're replacing everything else, right.... heck man, replace both of them for good measure. Replacing the flex hose to the top of the diff from the steel line running up front might be prudent as well.
yea thats what ive been thinking. going to replace the rubber hose parts first and then if still having problems will replace calipers.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
Perhaps look at stainless steel braided brake lines for replacements, too.
I see them online at KLM Performance and Russell Performance.

I replaced them all on my SRT 300 back in the day when I rebuilt the Brembo's as the rubber lines were worn out and showing signs of needing replacement. It was a huge improvement in brake feel. I plan to do them on my truck in the future.

BLUEDERANGO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
As with most of the rest of the responders here,, Check your rubber (Flex) brake lines. You won't be able to see the blockage externally, you will need to remove it.
If you are in a "BAD" weather area just replace it with a new one,, It's a cheap part. Also if you drive in a lot of snow and ice examine your hard brake lines for kinks or other damage, any restrictions in the brake system plumbing will cause brake "Drag".

04fxdwgi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Perhaps look at stainless steel braided brake lines for replacements, too.
I see them online at KLM Performance and Russell Performance.

I replaced them all on my SRT 300 back in the day when I rebuilt the Brembo's as the rubber lines were worn out and showing signs of needing replacement. It was a huge improvement in brake feel. I plan to do them on my truck in the future.
The braided S/S brake lines don't "swell", like the rubber ones, when the brakes are applied and give a more positive feel to the brakes. Have done the replacements on some vehicles, too, and swear by the results, especially on my Harleys. Just make sure they are DOT approved braided lines.

OP
OP
hemihustlin

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
so I ordered all the pieces last weekend July 1st

discs pads and calipers from autoshack.ca
first time ordering from this place for me and now that I have seen the quality I will highly reccomend them to my Canadian rammers! free shipping to most places in Canada and the price cant be beat for what you get. I got the performance rear kit; drilled and slotted powder coat black surfaces, real sharp looking, I hate to see rusty rotors lol
comes with their performance "ceramic" pads but I saw something that looked alot like bits of the forbidden copper but hey Im no friction engineer I wont tell the government :patriot:

even left and right directional discs I am really satisfied so far

thats the good part

ordered the parking brake shoes from Canadian tire along with some permatex orange ceramic brake grease and 1 litre of dot3 brake oil
they didn't have the shoes in stock they were supposed to ship them to my local store then i pick it all up in 3 to 4 days
well the shoes never came in by Saturday when I went to pick up

the brake hose I ordered on Amazon after I posted this thread here delivered to my place was a nice quality reboxed sunsong piece with the rubber part and the metal line going up to the junction
it looked like a perfect fit and I was happy that it came with the metal part because other ones I looked at didnt come with that part and people said they had to cut and flare the original metal part because from the factory its a one piece metal line rubber hose combo

every piece looked good yesterday afternoon so I dove into the rear brakes
when I took apart the rear drivers (problem zone) this time the caliper was completely stuck. even when I took off the hose and put it on the bench and used my big pipe pliers it did not budge
so I was happy to have new calipers!
stripped both sides down to the parking brakes. excellent condition cleaned and lubed and lightly sandpapered the friction surfaces
discs pads calipers everything going great saved the hose for last just before brake bleed
unscrew it all up to the junction on the frame
go to install new metal line, realize the fitting on the new line is wrong, must be a standard instead of a metric :favorites68:

Saturday after 5 pm all parts stores and Canadian tires are closed
dont have a flare kit nor the proper fittings
so no choice had to reinstall the old line and get the thing off the jackstands and out the garage lol

let both calipers gravity bleed a good bit and then proceed to bleed as normal. everything went perfect even on the rear drivers side
I was suprised that it went well and it drives fine and doesn't grab so far

monday though I will bring the line to someone that can change the fitting for me

according to my Google-fu the fitting should be m12x1.0
the wrench I used was a 12mm and the threads were fine so seems logic

can anyone confirm?
thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20230708_175928.jpg
    IMG_20230708_175928.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20230708_175925.jpg
    IMG_20230708_175925.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 20230708_225952.jpg
    20230708_225952.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 20230708_225923.jpg
    20230708_225923.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 5

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Thanks for reading!

Replace the brake flex hoses. Also, run the truck up to 30-40 MPH and slam the on and energize your ABS to exercise the unit so you can eliminate a sticking ABS hydraulic valve. Flush to brakes with clean new fluid per manufacturer's specs.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thoffmann517