Is this just the power band?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

preachp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi All,

First can't the VVT be re tuned for a lower rpm kick-in, and if it is an electronic controlled flapper in the intake runner why can't that also be re tuned to kick in lower in the rpm or on WOT signal.

Secondly I got a solid taste of what these trucks can do the other day. My uncle and I were cutting a huge oak tree that is too near my house (like 8 ft away and 85 ft tall).
So he tied off to a branch that was about 12" in dia. so it would fall away from the house, and we hooked up to my RAM, then I started backing up all of a sudden the front end felt kind of funcky and he starts yelling pull forward!! PULL FORWARD!!!. So I ask him what's up? HE says your front wheels are off the ground! OK so I pull forward and relieve some of the tension.
Point is this thing did not even spin the tires, it just lifted itself up in the air. So this is not a race engine setup BUT Holy smoke the torque this thing can deliver in lower rpm is just amazing! I have since decided that even though I don't like not being able to spin the rears, this truck is setup to work and work it will without the slightest hesitation.

preachp

jcat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have 3.21 and seriously considering 4.10. Being that I don't race, I wonder if I should save the $200 and get 3.92. I just care about everyday driving low end and pulling capacity.

3.92 will be plenty for your application. A 4.10 really won't provide that much more hauling/towing capability than the 3.92 and all you'd do is burn more fuel from hanging at higher revs.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Jcat, do you know that from personal experience from having kept records from both ratios, or are you just repeating what is considered to be true?

jcat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Jcat, do you know that from personal experience from having kept records from both ratios, or are you just repeating what is considered to be true?

same truck, 3.92 vs 4.10 will not make a significant difference in towing nor in fuel mileage, at least enough to justify the additional cost.

They offered up to 3.92 from the factory which puts the towing right up around 10k on the 1500 chassis because that's probably about all it will handle.

In terms of fuel mileage, a 4.10 will keep the engine revving higher than a 3.92, which means more squirts of fuel per minute, which means less economy.

Should I continue?

Lhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Predator 4x4 Dually & 2012 Ram Puinsher R/T 1 of 1
Engine
6.7 Cummins Turbo & Hemi 5.7
I love less economy!!!

Kelli25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have 3.21 and seriously considering 4.10. Being that I don't race, I wonder if I should save the $200 and get 3.92. I just care about everyday driving low end and pulling capacity.

If you are switching gears to accomplish goals, everyday driving, low end, and pulling, then I would go ahead and go to the 4.10s. I wouldn't recommend going through the trouble if you are not going to get the most out of the situation.

And as someone here mentioned, your milage will go down due the higher RPMs you run on the highway (though I have heard of some folks gaining city MPGs due to the fact that they aren't having to stomp the gas to accelerate as much as they desire). But we can't have it all, and I assume if milage was super ultra important to you, we wouldn't be having this discussion. :) And as far the gears making a difference. They do.

:favorites13: