I've had enough - intermittent radio issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

workn2fish

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 2007 RAM 3500 6.7 has the factory radio. Since the day I bought the truck used in 2012, it's had this intermittent issue. When you turn the key on, the radio works fine, after you start the truck, it's dark and won't function. The clock still works but nothing else. Sometimes after it's warmed up, it will stay on after I start the truck but it seems to be getting worse. I was told a while ago that I might benefit from switching to AGM batteries since they have higher reserve than flooded. If I leave the block heater plugged in, it seems to have less issue than if I don't. Yesterday was by far the worst. On a 525 mile ground trip with about 6-7 stops, the radio only worked once when it was dead cold and once a couple hours later. Never worked the rest of the trip.

Any ideas?

Smokeybear01

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I'm having issues with my radio ever since I replaced the batteries. Everytime I start the truck it acts as though it's a brand new install and keeps running through a promo skit or some dumb s..t. Someone thought it might come around after a few starts but that hasn't happened. If I turn the radio on after it's running it will work. But if I leave the radio off so just the clock shows (which is where I have it most of the time) it starts flashing the promo. It does retain all my settings when I turn the radio on. It has the BT, Pandora, 10 presets, etc and it likes to remind me every damn time I drive it, repeatedly. Good luck with your issue, wish I could help.

Smokeybear01

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I'm having issues with my radio ever since I replaced the batteries. Everytime I start the truck it acts as though it's a brand new install and keeps running through a promo skit or some dumb s..t. Someone thought it might come around after a few starts but that hasn't happened. If I turn the radio on after it's running it will work. But if I leave the radio off so just the clock shows (which is where I have it most of the time) it starts flashing the promo. It does retain all my settings when I turn the radio on. It has the BT, Pandora, 10 presets, etc and it likes to remind me every damn time I drive it, repeatedly. Good luck with your issue, wish I could help.
Wow, I feel like such a fool. My dear Wife figured it out. While I ran into a store to pick up something in town, she waited in the truck and played with the radio. It appears this radio has a 'Demo' mode which is activated whenever there is a hard reboot. IE; battery replacement. She turned off the 'Demo' mode and now it works fine. Just kick me! It sucks to grow old.

MikeT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
As a side note, there is a secret to replacing the batteries on a Cummins powered truck. Leave one battery connected while replacing and connecting the other one, once finished replace the originally connected battery and you won't have a hard reboot situation to deal with. Just be careful because the vehicle will have power applied through the entire process.

Mike

Smokeybear01

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
As a side note, there is a secret to replacing the batteries on a Cummins powered truck. Leave one battery connected while replacing and connecting the other one, once finished replace the originally connected battery and you won't have a hard reboot situation to deal with. Just be careful because the vehicle will have power applied through the entire process.

Mike
haha I knew that but was in a parking lot doing the bat swap and had a brain fart. Had both bats in the cart for the return before I knew it.