Ball Joint Replacement... Just joint or entire arm?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jjsxr9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7l FlexFuel
Hi all,

I have a 2008 1500 4x4 w/ 4.7l FF Motor

tl:dr
I'm needing to replace my ball joints soon, do I:
1. Replace just the ball joints?
2. Replace the control arms as well?
3. Should the shop have replaced the ball joints on the side they repaired?

Long story:

Recently got hit in my passenger front tire...while I was turning right into a parking lot. Dude thought he could pass me on the right...?

Visibly bent my tie-rod. Other cosmetic damage as well. I made sure they knew to look at the steering and front suspension assembly when I made my insurance claim. ( I limped it home with the weel turned to 3 o'clock). I called the shop to make sure they looked at the front right steering/suspension also.

Got it back from the shop today. They replaced the front right knuckle & tie-rod. Did an alignment... "reconditioned" the wheel.
Drove it home with the steering wheel tuned to about 10:30. Now, it by no means drove straight prior to the accident, and maybe I'm used to my rental. But that seemed like too much to have just had and alignment.
Took it back, they realigned. It drives more like it did now.

Mechanic told me about my ball joints needing replaced and how they got it the best they could.
They quoted me$700 to do the lower ball joints and another $400 to do upper(included a new arm... necessary?) ((Both included labor which seemed redundant to me)).
Called around, got $750 for both upper/lower.

I'm handy and can do the work, I have most of the tools (need to rent a press). Would is the benefit of doing the entire upper arm rather than just the joint (costs 2x buts saves time?) Should I do the entire lower arm as well or just the joint?

I do acknowledge they need to be replaced and I have the time to do it.

Thanks for the advice!

BenWade

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I replace the control arm. I'm OCD and the thought of having a new ball joint in a used control arm with worn bushings bothers me. All new bits & pieces makes me sleep better at night.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For the uppers just buy the whole arm its cheap and quick the lowers you can press out/re use the arm.

mrack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
IMO your much better off replacing the complete upper and lower control arms, you get all new bushings, it's way easier then pressing in and out the ball joints and you don't have to bother with buying or renting a bj press. Especially on an older, presumable higher mileage truck. I used mevotech supreme lower arms on my trucks, they're quite affordable on rockauto.

OP
OP
J

jjsxr9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7l FlexFuel
IMO your much better off replacing the complete upper and lower control arms, you get all new bushings, it's way easier then pressing in and out the ball joints and you don't have to bother with buying or renting a bj press. Especially on an older, presumable higher mileage truck. I used mevotech supreme lower arms on my trucks, they're quite affordable on rockauto.
Thanks for the input! I was leaning toward doing both new arms for the same reasons. RockAuto is way cheaper than where I was looking. Thanks again!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat