Junk tranny?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Then you won't have any power so it won't matter what trans it has. Good luck.

OP
OP
J

jstacey8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Not have any power? Your kidding right? The cummins in a turdle stock form? Lml's mate making 500idh at the wheel once tuned and deleted and the trannys still hold up just fine. ✌️

Bigdaddycodes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
the allison behind the LML is a decent transmission, still not bulletproof by any means, and it may be making 500 at the wheels but the rest of the truck is still garbage..

OP
OP
J

jstacey8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
If you call them garbage I'd hate to hear what you think about a cummins

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
350k trucks sold
200 trucks have bad shift issues
this means Dodge sucks, the transmissions suck, the drivers suck, and anything that dodge makes sucks, we'll include fiat, and chrysler in the mix too.

This type of logic is why people want to raise minimum wage to 15 bucks an hour. Failed logic is bad logic.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
There is no way around a gear change it's gunna be 3k plus with there great idea to weld the front ring rear in and when I got my truck 2 years ago it would do the same thing when it was cold so I've had it reflashed 2 times before getting a tuner hoping it would help firm up the shift points. Maybe it's only a problem in colder temps but 2 of my friends trucks do the same thing unless you drive them aggressively and they still do it some and I can't see driving aggressively making the tranny last any longer? I live in the middle of no where and it's hilly country roads 35-55mph northern Maine roads so I'm almost always in 4th and that's the weakest gear. After dealing with it for 2.5 years I can see a lot more flaws with my truck with only 15000 miles compared to my dads chevy with 40000 miles and his is used for work and plowing and is far from being taken care of as well as mine. In all honesty I baby my truck a lot. With that said I'm selling my truck tomorrow and making the switch to chevy. Maybe if I had a 8 speed it would be different but mopar is seriously lacking in anything aftermarket

if you are unhappy with your ram, you might be happier with another brand. i would hate to loose all the depreciation dollars, so here are some suggestions. rule out a TC issue at the dealer. if all checks out then have them do a "relearn flash". the trans will adapt to your driving style. if you still arent happy, use the ERS, it will put you in the gear you think you should be in. i suspect you still have some warranty left, so drive it hard if you like, the trans can handle it. if it blows up, highly unlikely, have it fixed/replaced under warranty. good luck with what ever you decide.

OP
OP
J

jstacey8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I'm glad you guys have had good luck with them but 3 outa the 5 rams in my town all have the same problem as mine. So I think your 200 out of 300k is off a but there chief but good try

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I'm glad you guys have had good luck with them but 3 outa the 5 rams in my town all have the same problem as mine. So I think your 200 out of 300k is off a but there chief but good try

Are you here to bicker with people that like Ram or find a solution? Your not going to get a lot of support bashing a Ram on Ramforum try another brand site if you want that. We will suggest things and you will refute the solution anyway. Sorry you had bad luck move along or fix the problem.

roadshow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anecdotal evidence is and always has been a terrible way to back up a point because the variance of personal experiences is endless. For example I could counter your example with the dozens of ram trucks not having this problem in my parking lot. And then another poster can counter me by saying the complete opposite at his work. And so on.

But since you are the one making this claim, and also since it's a rare claim around here, I think the burden of proof is pretty much on you not us. I'm just happy to see you're not throwing a crybaby temper tantrum like the one I saw yesterday lol.

moparman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
take the 65rfe out and put a g56 behind it....that's if you can work 3 pedals :roflsquared:

my truck has a 65rfe and with the sonnax line pressure booster, it firmed up the shifts and stretched them out enough that the truck doesn't go from 1st to 4th lockup by 30mph.

you have to understand that this day in age every manufacturer is after fuel economy. 6-8 speed transmissions are becoming common now and they shift fast. if you don't like it, give daddy back his truck and ****

powderbrad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I find it frustrating as well. In the back of my head I'm almost creating problems that may not be there.

I'm so conscious about how I drive it and how it shifts and it seems rather inconsistent.....freaks me out. Sometimes weird things seem to occur, even when easy driving.

I too wonder how much borrowed time I'm on.

powderbrad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've started driving more in 3rd . Higher rpm but figure is easier on clutch packs from 3-4. Sounds better too.

The mileage is inconsequential as if you're light on the throttle 3rd gets ok mileage according to the dash compared to 4th. And it'll never drop a gear accidentally by steeping on it.

I use manual mode almost exclusively unless highway. But use manual mode for all downshifts.

All because I'm paranoid about it.

Come spring time I'll be at roughly 45000 kms...I'll. Flush tranny and add new filtration. Piece of mind.

(That's when it's most lowly to blow after spending time and money on it right?? Haha)

Last edited:

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've started driving more in 3rd . Higher rpm but figure is easier on clutch packs from 3-4. Sounds better too.

The mileage is inconsequential as if you're light on the throttle 3rd gets ok mileage according to the dash compared to 4th. And it'll never drop a gear accidentally by steeping on it.

I use manual mode almost exclusively unless highway. But use manual mode for all downshifts.

All because I'm paranoid about it.

Come spring time I'll be at roughly 45000 kms...I'll. Flush tranny and add new filtration. Piece of mind.

(That's when it's most lowly to blow after spending time and money on it right?? Haha)

I do the exact same thing. I get a code on my tuner usually when I let it shift from 4-5 on it's own, so that has me extra paranoid!

crewchief

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT
Engine
6.7L Turbo Diesel
I have to say that the reply's on this thread have been the most professional grown up replys i have ever seen. I applaud all of you for your maturity. I am definitely going to enjoy reading and being part of this group.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Please tell me how to drive it? Last time I checked these things are made to be driven and didn't come with a rule book on how to drive? I hardly ever go wot and usually drive normal. Not my fault ram is restarted and can't build a tranny to save there life not to mention there amazing shift pattern and not to mention 1st gear is way to high but hey let's stack 2nd and 3rd 150 rpm apart and make this 6 speed a 5 speed and while we're at it let's make the gear that you drive in the most the weakest (4th). And then there is 0 after market options. Never again will a buy a mopar product I'd much rather have a under powered gmc over a truck that will fall apart if you drive it slightly aggressive and has practically nothing aftermarket and everything aftermarket cost so much it's not even remotely worth it

What about the other 500k+ on the road? They're all trash too?

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

just a thought. you havent been specific about when it goes into 4th. i also just noticed you are in maine. if this is a recent issue it is due to the cold temps i think you are having. the trans is designed to do this until it reaches operating temps. the key is getting it up to temp. i had this happen a few times when we o to below temps here in jersey. my 2000 chevy also had sluggish shifting, i believe it stayed in 2nd until it reached operating temps. yes, i was a chevy guy at one time. hope this helps.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
A regear does not cost that much. I will tell you it makes a big difference. Your attitude is pretty much like the title of your thread right now. Giving you an idea of what you can do to enjoy what you have and not spend an insane amount or take a bath on a trade. I have an old 4th gen on here has a lot of miles and probably half while towing and yet mine works very well still. I attribute that to maintenance and regear. Take it or leave it.

actually, in the jersey area, that price isnt out of line for front and rear. , maybe 500.00 high. no idea what things cost in maine though.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
actually, in the jersey area, that price isnt out of line for front and rear. , maybe 500.00 high. no idea what things cost in maine though.

Then drive a few miles and go to a small specialty shop. No way it should cost that much. Even if it did it makes a big difference so worth it.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Please tell me how to drive it? Last time I checked these things are made to be driven and didn't come with a rule book on how to drive? I hardly ever go wot and usually drive normal. Not my fault ram is restarted and can't build a tranny to save there life not to mention there amazing shift pattern and not to mention 1st gear is way to high but hey let's stack 2nd and 3rd 150 rpm apart and make this 6 speed a 5 speed and while we're at it let's make the gear that you drive in the most the weakest (4th). And then there is 0 after market options. Never again will a buy a mopar product I'd much rather have a under powered gmc over a truck that will fall apart if you drive it slightly aggressive and has practically nothing aftermarket and everything aftermarket cost so much it's not even remotely worth it

I currently own a 15 Silverado 1500 and i can tell you the transmission is no better on this side of the fence. The dealer tells me it's "normal" For the 6 speed and they put that in writing and told me there is no way to improve it. It seems to have a mind of its own. Some days it shifts great. Others, i get loud downshift clunks from the 3-2 downshift. Other times I'm on a back road and the transmission thinks it needs to be in 5th gear doing 35mph, which is luggjng the engine at 1,000 rpm going up a hill (won't downshift unless you really get on it) and that causes a slight driveline vibration. Again, all normal per the dealer.

The 2500 ram i test drove, while it had some of that was not nearly as bad and had a much more responsive throttle without all the torque management BS that gm has in their trucks. So i can tell yall, the grass isn't any greener and from what i can tell is more brown than the Dodge.

It has a lot to do with the crappy TCM programming the government is forcing down the automakers throats to hit fuel economy standards.

I'm not saying this is your issue. However, if your curious, head over to gm trucks.com and check out the 2014-17 Silverado 1500 problems /issues area. There is a bunch of topics there. I have not been on this site long, but these trucks seem to be a whole lot less problematic.

Even the fords have issues with their 6 speeds. From what i can tell, unless you get a tune, which could void your warranty, these transmissions are what they are.

From what i understand, the tundra has a good shifting transmission, but i simply won't own a foreign truck. Yes Chrysler was bought out by fiat (which i hate that they did), but the Dodge is still an American truck in my opinion. To each their own though.

There are lots of folks over on gm trucks Thad have switched to dodge and are very happy. Ford builds a good truck, (not perfect either, they have their issues too ) but they are a lot more money and in my opinion, from just looking at a 17 super duty f250 and is undercarriage, it's not built any heavier than the 17 ram 2500. I simply don't think they are that much better than Chevy / dodge to warrant that much extra money.

I'm considering making the move to dodge myself and i never have owned a brand new mopar product. I did have a 1997 ram 2500 and that was a good truck.

Just my .02 from a different perspective. My Silverado is a good truck, runs fine and is reliable, but it's not perfect. None of them are. Pros and cons to each. But I like what i see in the Dodge. You can get a lot of options in the lower trim levels you have to go to an xlt ford to get.

The 2017 Silverado 2500hd i priced was way more expensive and had a lot less options and was not nearly as heavy duty as the 2500 ram in my opinion (axles, suspension, steering components ) The 2500hd Chevrolet is also known to have some trans shifting issues and some vibration issues. Plus i just like the looks of the ram better then Chevy or ford. I don't care for the front end of the 17 ford superduty at all personally. I like that dodge has stayed with their trademark front end and styling, which was copied in my opinion by ford to some degree when they released the 99 superduty.

Good luck in your decision, but if you went with a gm truck, you'll find things there you won't like also.

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
man, I'm so tired of all the whining. I want a thread like this to come up with solutions, instead of just endless generalization's and pointless complaining.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Demon Hunter 441