Just in time for Halloween: a horror story

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shoffer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Something
So about 4 years ago, I bought a used 2011 Ram Laramie. About 12,000$ 160K miles. Ran good, no issues.
Just shy of the last 100$ left to pay it off, I got the dreaded cylinder 3 and the cam metal shavings surprise.
The dealer says a crate engine with reinstall would be 12K.

When I asked an engine rebuilder about rebuilding...he said he cannot find anything but cheap Chinese parts and does not want to use those.

Anyone have some suggestions and estimates, recommendations in Minneapolis/Saint Paul area for engine rebuilders? Already rebuilt engines? Shops that would do the swap and such?
I thought I could eke out a few more years and now I have a paperweight and cannot sink 12k and cannot spend on an equivalent truck based on even used trucks these days.

I am open to hear other people’s horror stories as well as ideas, suggestions and tips and such.

Thank you.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Look for a low mileage used engine. Many will at least come with some form of warranty if it's blown on install. Definitely the cheapest option to get back on the road. More than a few rams get totalled every year.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Reading the title of this thread I was thinking something more sinister... your significant other traded your Ram in for a Chevy

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not sure if they are still a good engine builder, but Jasper engines were a good choice. Maybe someone will chime in on this.

Curt Gobbell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
Shoffer. Read the link below it will walk you thru how to repair it yourself

Mike Van

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi Shoffer,

I have a similar dilemma, I bought a 2011 (120,000K) at an auction and it had the tick. I read everything here and watched a bunch of YouTube videos. Although I have the skills I lack the garage to work in. I found a local shop that bought the cam and lifters from Texas speed shop and a new chip as I wanted to eliminate the MDS.
The shop is working with me. I am going to be paying 2,500 for the cam job and 400 for a upgraded chip.

The job does not seem too hard, it is just having the time and patience to do it right. I chose to pay and work a little OT...lol.

Mike

DA67Goatman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I second looking into a Jasper as they don't just rebuild it like new, they fix many common flaws and problems right out the box. Plus I thought they offered different warranty lengths based on install procedure and how many of the ancillary parts are replaced at the same time.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I’ve not heard much if any good about jasper, contact some local junk yards ,they have a network to find low mileage used engines .

xtremeroller

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 & 2008
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Powertrain products seem to have a good rep from what I have found.

Mike Van

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It turned out my total costs were 4,200. This included the new chip and the programming. Flushing the engine to get any metal from the old cam that was worn (#3 spot) pretty badly. More than I expected, but the tuck now runs great.

DJ18hemi1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It turned out my total costs were 4,200. This included the new chip and the programming. Flushing the engine to get any metal from the old cam that was worn (#3 spot) pretty badly. More than I expected, but the tuck now runs great.
Mike, how is the truck running after 5 weeks?

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I second looking into a Jasper as they don't just rebuild it like new, they fix many common flaws and problems right out the box. Plus I thought they offered different warranty lengths based on install procedure and how many of the ancillary parts are replaced at the same time.
Jasper has come a long way to the positive, they fixed the piston scuffing by putting longer piston skirts, upgraded main and rod bearings, Hellcat roller lifters there's more, these are off the top of my head, and give you a good warrantee period, It's a remanufactured Engine.

67440dodge

Military
Reaction score
They've been in the Mopar business since I lived there in late 80's..

I don't know if Mancini sells any Gen III crate motors since they got bought out, but might want to give em a a call..

If you going to go boneyard route, try to see the truck first, wrecked trucks are pretty much guaranteed to have been running when totalled, whereas a flood truck is pretty much wasted whether sitting or driving..