K02's with or without DT?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I went to the tire place to order my K02 285/65r20's and the salesman said that it listed 2 different ones. One of them had a DT and one did not. He had no idea what the DT stood for and neither did I. The only thing we could see was that one said raised black letters and one just said black. I told him that didn't matter to me just pick one. Now I feel stupid that I don't even know which one we ordered.
After I got home I got online and the only thing I could find was on tirerack.com and they said

"All-Terrain T/A KO2 tires labeled "DT" utilize a different tread compound designed to improve wear in high-torque applications and improved chip and tear resistance in gravel. Tires featuring this compound carry a 50,000-Mile Treadwear Warranty and are NOT branded with the three-peak mountain snowflake symbol. They can be identified by the "DT" branding on the sidewall immediately following the service description, and are labeled on the Specs page and in search results."

I live in Ohio, so I have to deal with snow, and my offroading pretty much max's out with driving through a field or mud puddle.. My Truck is just my daily driver when the weather doesn't permit taking the motorcycle.

Any idea which one I should have ordered? which one is everyone else getting?

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I found this in another web site:
""DT" stands for different tread, which means different tread compound (for longer life). Some of the BFG ATs were wearing quickly because the mountain/snowflake is typically a softer compound and wear is most noticeable on the heavier vehicles.
The new KO2 DT has a new sturdier tread compound that will allow for a longer tread life. They no longer have the 3 Peak Mtn. Snowflake for severe weather conditions."

Wonder if they're stll good in snow/rain etc. ?

Hugh Jabbals

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
K02 carries the 3 peak mountain symbol or something like that. Has to do with meeting some benchmark for snow use. DT does not carry that rating. At least that's what I found. Er go regular K02s if you encounter snow. DTs if you're like me, live in CA and want some better tire life for those long drives out town. 50K mile warranty on the DTs as well.

bfill_rebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yea the DT is a harder compound. Therefore it wears better/should last longer. However with a harder compound comes a little less traction in the wet and slick stuff which is why they lost the rating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LugsLeadOut84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
It's probably not critical to you, but I'd choose the 3 peak mountain/snowflake version. It means they are "severe snow service" rated (I had KO2's on my prior Ram). I believe some areas in Canada have roadways which legally require the vehicle to have mountain/snowflake symbol or chains between December and March.

I bought them for performance in both snow and light off-road and loose-sanded beach driving. I didn't buy them for extreme longevity - so I'd choose the one's that offer more performance. My 3PMSF KO2's wore well in the 5 years I had them (they had 30k miles on them when I traded the truck).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ftank