Key Fob Button Protector/Cover??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dantra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I didn't used to carry my key in my pocket but since getting this Ram with the Prox key, I have started to do so. I think I'm just more protective of this key and it's a tad bit bigger so I carry it in my pocket rather than on a clasp that's clipped onto a belt loop.. or just leave in the cup holder haha. I do alot fabrication/welding and fear damaging it and if I leave it on my desk, I walk all the way out and realize that I forgot it..

Anyway, I've set the panic alarm off several times at the house with it in my pocket. Sometimes just while crouching down to untie my boots or feeling for a pocket knife in my pocket. Was wondering if anyone has came across a slim case that maybe recesses the buttons more or something?? At first I thought a case that covers all buttons would be fine since it's a prox key but I do like being able to hit that remote start in the morning when I'm all sleepy eyed.

Anybody else?

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I set off my panic alarm all the time. It ****** me off FCA didn't put a lockout on it.
Like you, I'm afraid of losing it. Cost me $138. when I lost the last fob.

Used to keep my keys on a double split ring with an O2 tank wrench stuffed in my back pocket, keys hanging out.

Interested to see what others are doing.

Glad / Sad it's not just me.

OP
OP
Dantra

Dantra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I set off my panic alarm all the time. It ****** me off FCA didn't put a lockout on it.
Like you, I'm afraid of losing it. Cost me $138. when I lost the last fob.

Used to keep my keys on a double split ring with an O2 tank wrench stuffed in my back pocket, keys hanging out.

Interested to see what others are doing.

Glad / Sad it's not just me.
Well thank God I'm not alone here haha

I need to look and see if I can disable it in AlfaOBD. Also might be another good reason to start dabbling with a 3D printer. I'm always looking for justification!

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I hate how easy it is to set off the panic alarm. It should require the button to be hit twice or something. Manual says it has to be held down for 1 second but it seems more sensitive than that. At least it can be deactivated by another button push. On my Dakota I have to drive over 20mph or something stupid. Had it go off a few times on jack stands with wheels off, that really sucked.

Razzman

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited CCSB
Engine
6.7 Cummins
fob-jpg.152205

Hate stuff in pockets so i use this on my belt

Razzman

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited CCSB
Engine
6.7 Cummins
neither did i, lesser of two evils.

NoveskeFan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Crew Cab Short Bed Copperhead Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Razzman

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited CCSB
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I honestly can't say what brand it is, found it at my local outdoor store. It's about 4x3 and I don't think it would work with a covered fob. What would work is a belt pouch/case for a zippo lighter.

OP
OP
Dantra

Dantra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Last edited:

fastbike02

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I opened the remote up on my kia and removed the button off the circuit board for panic now I never have to worry about it going off

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
I opened the remote up on my kia and removed the button off the circuit board for panic now I never have to worry about it going off
exactly what i did to my jeep renegade fob which is the same as this ram fob. i used to set panic off all the time until i removed the contact.
i did the same to my classic ram keys

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
This must be a sign.

I just scared the crap outta myself today by setting it off again while taking the headlights out!! (**** canning the LED Low beams, putting HID's in).

Don't want to disable the function permanently, just make it next to impossible to hit it accidentally.

I like the Zippo pouch idea. Gonna do a test fit. I have the lowly Tradesman fob you stick into the ignition.

727c0273cadeaa6ca43360084dd10a22.jpgf12e2d1e23b414df2bee1854513bce54.jpg

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I heard an odd noise in front of my garage when I walked out and there sat my truck with parking lights on with engine running . I now hang my keys on the wall when I come in .

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I heard an odd noise in front of my garage when I walked out and there sat my truck with parking lights on with engine running . I now hang my keys on the wall when I come in .
Wow!
Never considered that. Suicide by accidentally starting your truck.
The worst I can do is make noise.

Rijrnnr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My '10 likes to crank up when I reach a job site and get about 200 feet away. Thats a real ****** when it's 100 degrees in the shade and I have no idea that it is running...mot good!

ramrocker

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
This leatherman cut way down on my accidental button presses.
Cut the flap off, Stretched it just a bit with a wood blank.
LEATHERMAN - Heritage Leather Snap Sheath for Multitools, Medium.

This leatherman cut way down on my accidental button presses.
Cut the flap off & it slips in my pocket.
Had to whittle a piece of wood and stretch it just a bit.
LEATHERMAN - Heritage Leather Snap Sheath for Multitools, Medium.

Last November:
Leatherman-1.jpgLeatherman-2.jpg

Now: Leatherman-3.jpg

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have the leather version cover from Amazon that NoveskeFan linked to his post. I don't use the key clip that it came with, but it works well and I have not had any mishaps with it while in my pocket. I used to know a saddle maker that made a couple of custom Leatherman tool cases for me, seeing the above post, I would have had him make a case similar to that. That's a pretty good idea.

Kc7pwx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well thank God I'm not alone here haha

I need to look and see if I can disable it in AlfaOBD. Also might be another good reason to start dabbling with a 3D printer. I'm always looking for justification!

Your definatley not alone.
I carry 2 key rings and the second one has alot of keys on it and has a tendancy to set off my panic alarm and has even unlocked my doors in the past.
When I found the doors unlocked I was not as angry about the alarm anymore and more worried about the doors.
Unfortunatley I can't carry my keys on my belt so a pouch wont help me and I have a second gen so I dont have a keyless fob.
I almost bought a 3d printer just to make a protective cover that recesses the buttons but did not go through with it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joeyoliver45