Key FOB Fix - YMMV

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

troutspinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I responded to a thread yesterday about a Key FOB issue and I mentioned my Key FOB was not working either and it prompted me to finally get off my butt and look at it.

This is on a 2014 Ram with a typical Key FOB, not a push button start vehicle. Anyways, I remembered a video I seen on YouTube where someone showed that their FOB did not unlock or remote start the vehicle but oddly, lights on the dash / security system did respond to remote presses. I tried mine and this was exactly the same issue.

I don't even know why I thought of it but I inserted the key and started the truck. While it was running and the key was in the ignition, I pressed the lock and unlock buttons on the remote a few times. I shut the truck off, removed the key and "magically" the key FOB started to work as normal again, locking, unlocking and remote starting the truck.

I can only assume it was a glitch or the key needed to be recognized / authorized again by the truck. As the title says, YMMV as this is a very specific scenario but I figured I would post this so it could possibly help someone having similar issues.

milspecmark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wow, thank you. I just tried this and it actually worked. I had the same issue

Biker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
diesel
Thanks, I will try it in the morning.

SJGUSMC21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
Thanks for post. Unfortunately, this did not work for my situation. I guess I am going to have to bite the bullet and pay them to program a spare I have....

Woohoo! This did work however...

Screenshot_20191021-200332_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited: