Knob dial vs shift on console

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rvance

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pent 3.6
I had a girlfriend with a BMW and she put it in park while rolling 5 mph once. It slammed to a stop...

Does the dial knob on a ram have a safety to prevent being turned while driving?
Yes.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Who comes up with these gimmicks? I don't like the transfer case shifter in my 2015 Laramie. Juat another electrical component to malfunction.

I've broken more manual cables and linkages than electric switches or relays.

It's a fantastic feeling to suddenly go to idle and have zero resistance on the gas pedal.... Also had a manual brake pedal come loose on an '80 Corvette. I ran a red light with no incident, pulled in to a parking lot, cranked the wheel, shut it off, and drove around in a circle until it was slow enough to put my foot out the door and Fred Flintstone it until I could put it in park. I'd recently bough it and knew the parking brake was out, but whoever needs a parking brake and I'll get to it later...

Snapped a speedo cable in a Scout, which wasn't that big a deal because you couldn't really speed in it unless you harpooned a passing truck and got towed along like a whaling boat...

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
Is there any talk of bringing back the console shift (automatic) vs the dial. I have a 2013 and test drove a newer Dodge Ram and HATE the knob dial. I will purchase a different brand of truck if the dial stays, sadly everything changes for the better supposedly, but this is not a plus for me!
So you don't want the new transmission ?

TC Retired

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ED
While I'm not a fan of the dial shifter (too easy to reach for the radio and get it instead), I do LOVE the Tranny/Transfer case combo on my 21 limited. Living at 7k ft and with the stock all weather tires the Truck never let me down -- even with 15" to 18" of fresh snow. The air ride also helps some.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I just had a memory flash ...

Does anyone remember driving around as a teenager with a 1949 - early 1950s Ford or Chevy ?
They were standard shift on the column & you could open the collar on the steering column, remove a Pin, swivel the shift handle from right hand shifter, to left hand shifter, then replace the pin & button every thing back up.
Sometimes, you had to open the hood, reach down on the drivers side, right by the exhaust, there were 2 linkage adjusters.

Most times your parents would not borrow your car, after you modified it

DA Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm on my third ram since 2015 being my first one with the rotary dial shifter. It's the best and most simple to use shifter there is. Didn't take me very long after I purchased my first ram with this shifter in 2015 and now have a 2020 fifth gen Ram Laramie off road with the sport package and I totally love everything about the truck. Once I was in a rush when I parked my truck and hit the start stop button before I had put it in park and to my surprise it automatically rotated the knob to park, I thought that that was really nice. These vehicles are so advanced nowadays they can actually take care of some operator error on their own like my truck putting it in park for me when I neglected to do so before killing the engine. Don't know why so many here say they don't like the shifter. Also with it on the dash there is way more space for things on the center console! I love it!

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My father had a 1960 Plymouth Fury Sport when I was a kid. Same colors as in the pics below.

Square steering wheel, pushbutton shift, rearview mirror mounted to the dash, giant fins. It was the coolest car on the planet as far as I was concerned.

View attachment 523410

View attachment 523411
They sure got butt*** ugly in '61, though.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 93320 miles.

Ramfanski

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
My 2011 ram 1500 had a key and a column shifter. My 22 Laramie 1500 is better in every way. I can’t believe how well Ram did. Every single thing I disliked about my 2011 is fixed and is better. The puck shifter is great once I got used to it, but it took a couple months.

yrraljguthrie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
etorque5.7
The knob shift is pretty nice I think, but then I 1963 Dodge with a pushbutton shift in high school. Funny story, my dad gets his International Pickup stuck in mud. Hooks the Dodge up to it with a chain. Tells me to pull him out. Not having much luck. He wants me to back up and then shift and go forward. I do, but not fast enough. He gets mad and tells me to get him out! So I gun the Dodge punch the reverse and then the drive button. Janked his bumper right off his truck! He never said a word.