Knob dial vs shift on console

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
So you prefer the sloppy action, ripping boots, and "old" look, or the unphased modern appeal and flawless operation of the knob? Interesting opinion.

For sawing back and forth on a shelf road to make a tight turn, absolutely.

The knob is better for space savings and people who never shift other than to start the truck moving and stop it moving. It's less ideal for someone who shifts while maintaining attention elsewhere, rocking a stuck vehicle, etc. Note how many emergency vehicles still have a console shifter even if the civilian counterpart has a console or dial shifter. It's easier to find blindly, easier to control with gross movements, and is more positive in it's stops.

CMV157

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A few mentions of this difference, but the manual shift mode with buttons on the steering wheel (with dial shifter) versus buttons on a column or console shifter is very nice. Don't have to move your hand off the wheel or even look down. Thumb slides right to the - or + button. Very cool even for those that don't like the dial as much. It's like when they added audio buttons to the rear of the wheel. I guess some may prefer reaching to the stereo out of habit or simplify. But once you adjust, it's just more convenient.

Lockie5

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi etorque
Hate the dial on any vehicle. So I ordered the GT package (Canada). Best thing ever - console shifter with manual sport mode, paddle shifters on steering wheel, as well as ram cold air intake and deep sounding exhaust, leather etc etc. For $3500? No brainer for me.

boblonben

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is there any talk of bringing back the console shift (automatic) vs the dial. I have a 2013 and test drove a newer Dodge Ram and HATE the knob dial. I will purchase a different brand of truck if the dial stays, sadly everything changes for the better supposedly, but this is not a plus for me!
Like the knob, better than the shift arm, but really who cares!!!!

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I hated it in my wife's Expedition and was really happy that her Armada has the console shifter. That said, I had the column shifter in my 2500 and 3500 so getting used to it in my 1500 took a little time, but now it's no different for me than reaching for the shifter. I don't even have to look. My hand instinctively reaches up to the knob. It's really not that big of a deal. Certainly not something I'd change brands over.

Ram Richard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel
Is there any talk of bringing back the console shift (automatic) vs the dial. I have a 2013 and test drove a newer Dodge Ram and HATE the knob dial. I will purchase a different brand of truck if the dial stays, sadly everything changes for the better supposedly, but this is not a plus for me!
I didn’t like it at first but I’ve gotten used to it

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
For sawing back and forth on a shelf road to make a tight turn, absolutely.

The knob is better for space savings and people who never shift other than to start the truck moving and stop it moving. It's less ideal for someone who shifts while maintaining attention elsewhere, rocking a stuck vehicle, etc. Note how many emergency vehicles still have a console shifter even if the civilian counterpart has a console or dial shifter. It's easier to find blindly, easier to control with gross movements, and is more positive in it's stops.
With the dial, I can already foresee issues when trying to shift from D to R every 2 seconds trying to rock to get out of a jam.

RJR49

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Get over it! You're not doing the shifting regardless of how you put it in park!

Moparzz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dial is way better than the console - for me. I have the console shifter in my Challenger Hellcat and also my Charger. IMO console shifters are more suited for performance vehicles rather than trucks. In my Rebel I'd rather have the extra console space.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Lost count how many times I have tried to 'switch gears' only to change the radio volume

...or tried to turn down the radio volume only to change gears.

I would be happier with the old column shift, as I opted for the front 'bench' vice a console... seating for 6, with almost as much storage as a console.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Serious?? Is it the look/aesthetics? Mechanical concerns?? So how does the thought of potential "hemi-tick" (and all the things you'll do to make sure it doesn't happen) make you feel? The shifter is a big, huge nothing, compared to that ... in my opinion. I still decided to buy, and now own and love my 2020 Ram 1500 (with the dial shifter AND the potential for the dreaded hemi-tick)! It's all about perspective!
Best of luck.
John
Have yet to personally meet someone who has experienced the dreaded "hemi-tick". Guess I'm lucky. ‍♂️

IGotABigHorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi ETorque
For the first few months, every time I went to raise or lower the radio volume I turned my shifter dial. I hated it for quite som time. I am still getting used to it but for the most part I have it under control. Lol

InuvialuitDr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You get used to it, I went Tacoma trd sport mid shift to my ram 1500 sport without any real problems

DW in NM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 litre Hemi V8
Daniel Ortiz -- Your manual transmission makes me green with envy. I hate the dial shifter. I'm always reaching for a non-existent column shifter, even after four years. I grew-up with "three in the tree" manual transmissions and four, then five-speeds were God's gift. I want a five-speed on the floor. If I can't have that, I want a column shifter. I don't know if I'm adjusting the blower motor or the transmission with a dial shifter.

Danny Phillips

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Who comes up with these gimmicks? I don't like the transfer case shifter in my 2015 Laramie. Juat another electrical component to malfunction.

rvance

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pent 3.6
It took a while to get used to it, but I like it. I replaced the knob with a larger, textured one that can't be confused with the radio knob. Plus, I like it better than the old push button transmission on my 58 Dodge.