Knob dial vs shift on console

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As long as the 8HPXX transmissions are in the Ram lineup, the dial shifter will be king. Of course, you can get the console shifter if you purchase the GT package. Like everyone said, you get used to it.
What HUSKER said.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I was convinced that I would hate the dial shifter and to be honest, I've grown to really appreciate the compact size and convenience of operation.

I'd prefer a standard transmission but for the automatic, I now prefer the dial. If you're paranoid about getting confused with the radio dial, use the radio volume control on the back of the steering wheel.

You will adapt if all of us old farts did it without difficulty. :cool:

Mine doesn't have the controls on the back of the steering wheel.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
You’ll get used to it, took me a bit and I do miss my floor shifter.

I’m also really miss my manual trans.
My last two truck since 1987 were both manual. I still find my hand reaching out for the stick, but at least I've stopped stomping a hole in the floor looking for the clutch.

ffx2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had a girlfriend with a BMW and she put it in park while rolling 5 mph once. It slammed to a stop...

Does the dial knob on a ram have a safety to prevent being turned while driving?

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
I am old and I love the dial. I like how it cleans up the look of the interior.

My car has a TR6060. Never felt the need to have a manual in a truck.

CMV157

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've owned many trucks throughout the years and my 22 RAM is the first with a dial. I'm still adjusting to years of muscle memory, but I prefer it. It's so much cleaner for the cabin space. A huge lever sticking out that looks like something from an *** store is just dated and unnecessary. All these things are is an electronic switch now. Change can be hard, and I guess some will refuse it. I love it.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
I had a girlfriend with a BMW and she put it in park while rolling 5 mph once. It slammed to a stop...

Does the dial knob on a ram have a safety to prevent being turned while driving?

It will turn, but it won't shift if the speed is too high to safely do so. You get an error message that tells you the shift is unavailable or something like that.

John Schmidt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi w/FLOWMASTER 50 SERIES DELTA FLOW
Serious?? Is it the look/aesthetics? Mechanical concerns?? So how does the thought of potential "hemi-tick" (and all the things you'll do to make sure it doesn't happen) make you feel? The shifter is a big, huge nothing, compared to that ... in my opinion. I still decided to buy, and now own and love my 2020 Ram 1500 (with the dial shifter AND the potential for the dreaded hemi-tick)! It's all about perspective!
Best of luck.
John

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
You can turn the knob but the transmission won't change if your moving too fast. You'll get a prompt on the EVIC to shift back to drive, shortly after the warning the transmission goes into neutral.

HuskerRam

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel

EDITED…everyone already said what I wrote here…they just said it better!

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I didn't realize the dial shifters were in the 2500. My 2013 still has the 6 speed in the console. But talking about shifters, I enjoyed the old Mopar push button transmissions.

View attachment 523403
Anyone remember the ole Ramblers, LOL.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I didn't realize the dial shifters were in the 2500. My 2013 still has the 6 speed in the console. But talking about shifters, I enjoyed the old Mopar push button transmissions.

View attachment 523403
I had a job in high school washing tow trucks for the local company. The first time I got in one to move it, I sat there for 10 minutes scratching my head before I saw that little box to the left of the steering wheel with the numbers on it. That was about 1975.

Last edited:

PolarisCobra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
My father had a 1960 Plymouth Fury Sport when I was a kid. Same colors as in the pics below.

Square steering wheel, pushbutton shift, rearview mirror mounted to the dash, giant fins. It was the coolest car on the planet as far as I was concerned.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My wifes jeep has the turn dial. Its ok. I have gotten used to it. I like a shifter as well. I have the column shifter.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
My father had a 1960 Plymouth Fury Sport when I was a kid. Same colors as in the pics below.

Square steering wheel, pushbutton shift, rearview mirror mounted to the dash, giant fins. It was the coolest car on the planet as far as I was concerned.

View attachment 523410

View attachment 523411
This picture looks exactly like my first car. That black and yellow two tone paint really stood out. It was a 1957 Dodge Royal, push button auto with the hemi high output. That car was the Shizzel. It had class, style, power and cool factor. Great for dates as the front seat folded flat back against the front edge of the rear seat and made a full size bed. Was also a great car for hunting cause you could sleep comfortably in the car and had lots of trunk space for the sleeping bags, coleman stove and latern, cooler of food, chairs and a folding banquet table.

Still one of the coolest cars I ever drove.

1687463179089.jpeg

Last edited:

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

View attachment 523410

View attachment 523411
There is a guy in town here has a Dodge like that, not sure on year. I LUV the under dash mounted AC. They were great. U could Crank them puppies up and dang near get snow in car. Put to shame all these fancy junkola we got for AC in RAM's now.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This picture looks exactly like my first car. That black and yellow two tone paint really stood out. It was a 1957 Dodge Royal, push button auto with the hemi high output. That car was the Shizzel. It had class, style, power and cool factor. Great for dates as the front seat folded flat back against the front edge of the rear seat and made a full size bed. Was also a great car for hunting cause you could sleep comfortably in the car and had lots of trunk space for the sleeping bags, coleman stove and latern, cooler of food, chairs and a folding banquet table.

Still one of the coolest cars I ever drove.

View attachment 523413
Back when cars had Class, style, and all U had to do was look and you could tell which brand of Car it was, and maybe the model, not like the squared boxed stuff these days.