Knocking noise drivers side dash area on sharp impacts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

loopless

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2013 Outdoorsman 5.7 4WD 80K miles.
its been driving me nuts for a while. When the left front wheel hits a broken surface or drops into a minor pothole I get a knocking/heavy rattle under the dash. It’s seemingly coming from inside the drivers side dash area. It’s not the suspension which has been thoroughly redone with bilsteins ( no change to this issue, but made the truck 500% better to drive) and sounds too plasticky to be metal on metal. Could it be the steering damper being worn , seems unlikely at my mileage? I have got under the dash and wiggled everything I could find. It sounds like a substantial piece of plastic whacking something solid. Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

BuschLatte420

chill water by day, drink beer by night
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 classic tradesmen crew cab 6’4 box
Engine
5.7L NON E-TORQUE 3.92 gears 4x4
Loose intermediate steering shaft? Get up under there and try giving things a little wiggle. Sounds very annoying!

OP
OP
L

loopless

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok, so I solved this problem. The metal clip that holds the brake pedal on a metal shaft was not as tight as it should be, allowing the pedal to rattle over bumps. Of course the noise gets transmitted up behind the dash.