Know forward gears

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Muddbugge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello
I was wondering if you have any experienced this before. I have a 2017 2500 6.7 I got reverse fine and can drive forward ok as long as I shift it manually but if I leave it in auto it pops into neutral at about 5 mph. I have replaced the speed sensor and unhooked the battery cables. Checked the wires that plug into the trans.

Back story to it I was pulling my son out of a river and once I got him out, I went to leave, and it did this. I was able to drive home in 4low but at that time I was not aware I could shift manually that was just dumb luck a few days later trying things. I really don't want to spend $7K on another trans if I can find a way to repair this one. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mike Wenrich

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2004.5, 2023 RAM 2500 Laramie 4x4
Engine
5.9 Diesel, 6.4 Hemi
If you can drive it and shift manually then the trans is likely okay except for an electrical issue. I suggest you head to a reliable transmission shop and find out what is going on. If you were in the water maybe something really simple like an electrical short.

OP
OP
M

Muddbugge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ya that was my thought, but I never got into the water with my truck. It was just such odd timing for it to happen, but I did put it in some pretty good binds climbing over hills and ditches going down a trail. I will be talking it to a shop just trying to get some insight before going if I could.
Thank you for the response.

I guess this is what I for going to help out my teenage son. But I have been there done the dumb things when I was younger also. I just had to get out the old fashion way.

PolarisCobra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
My guess is that you have a broken motor mount. Now, when you start to move, the motor tilts (left or right, depending on which one is broken), and it moves the transmission shift cable.

Happened to me in my fathers '67 Ford Country Squire.

OP
OP
M

Muddbugge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the response but both mounts are good and it shifts fine with the push button on the Collum shifter so it should be in gear.