Laramie Headlight Switch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
No, he has a Canada market truck.
OK, I'm not sure why there would be a difference. Is this some kind of Canadian nanny-device thing where he has no choice as to use DRL's even if he travels to the states where thy aren't required?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
OK, I'm not sure why there would be a difference. Is this some kind of Canadian nanny-device thing where he has no choice as to use DRL's even if he travels to the states where thy aren't required?
Since December 1, 1989 all new cars sold in Canada were required to be equipped with daytime running lights (DRL).

We haven't been able to turn the lights completely off since 1989 up here,used to p!$$ me off when i was trying to sneak around on the back roads hunting,but i don't hunt anymore, :cheers:

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

CrazyHarleyGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes there is a difference in the Switch and as well as the software settings. Since 2022 Ram in Canada has no OFF position on the Headlight Switch.
Look closely at the picture of the Switch's I posted and you will see this.

From what I understand from all my research so far, is I need to replace the Switch with one that is typically used on a USA Ram with same options that I have.
Then I would need to use the Alpha OBD and get into the settings and tick a Box to indicate the Truck is a USA Truck.
Doing that will also then add the DRL ON/OFF Setting in the radio with all the other settings just like the USA Trucks have.

CrazyHarleyGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Tazer Dt would allow you to turn off your DRL’s and make many other changes. Mine is arriving on Tue and it’s cheaper than Alpha ODB. https://www.zautomotive.com/ Tazer DT is the one for Ram trucks.
Not sure how it would function on a Canadian Truck as since 2022 we have no OFF position on the Switch.

I am not saying the Tazer would not work but not sure how.

TRK_GANG74

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It would do the same as it does on US trucks. I have watched many YT videos of Canadians using the Tazer to do exactly what your wanting to do.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
It would do the same as it does on US trucks. I have watched many YT videos of Canadians using the Tazer to do exactly what your wanting to do.
Scroll down about 1/2 way through this article to where they refer to the Jeeps.I think the YT video's you're referring to apply to the older trucks .

TRK_GANG74

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I seen that one and I have seen the videos of the 2019 and up DT trucks disabling their DRL's. Z Automotive makes the Tazer for several Jeep, Dodge, Ram (DS and DT), and Chrysler vehicles and a decent range of years starting around the 2018 and up years. I've been reading the instructions for my Tazer for the last few days and watching all of the Z Automotive videos and the videos that other people have posted showing what it does.
Here is a link to the manual for the Tazer DT showing exactly what it does for the 2018 - 2023 Ram 1500 DT and 2021 - 2023 Ram 1500 TRX. https://www.zautomotive.com/zpu/instructions/TazerDTUserGuide1824.pdf
In my opinion the Tazer would be the best option since it is easily reversible and you only have to deal with one dongle that plugs in and can be left in place vs Alpha ODB with requires much more to use.

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I seen that one and I have seen the videos of the 2019 and up DT trucks disabling their DRL's. Z Automotive makes the Tazer for several Jeep, Dodge, Ram (DS and DT), and Chrysler vehicles and a decent range of years starting around the 2018 and up years. I've been reading the instructions for my Tazer for the last few days and watching all of the Z Automotive videos and the videos that other people have posted showing what it does.
Here is a link to the manual for the Tazer DT showing exactly what it does for the 2018 - 2023 Ram 1500 DT and 2021 - 2023 Ram 1500 TRX. https://www.zautomotive.com/zpu/instructions/TazerDTUserGuide1824.pdf
In my opinion the Tazer would be the best option since it is easily reversible and you only have to deal with one dongle that plugs in and can be left in place vs Alpha ODB with requires much more to use.
The guy you're referring to has a 2024 Canadian truck,with no "off" position on the switch

TRK_GANG74

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It should work depending on the latest firmware update they have out. He could contact Z Automotive and ask before buying one. I’m pretty sure they are already working on adding the 2024 model years if they haven’t done so already. I know one thing for sure nanny state Canada loves control and we are headed in the same direction. If it doesn’t work then buying a new switch and trying Alpha ODB might be his only option. It’s just a matter of programming and getting around it. Love these discussions with the back and forth.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Since December 1, 1989 all new cars sold in Canada were required to be equipped with daytime running lights (DRL).

We haven't been able to turn the lights completely off since 1989 up here,used to p!$$ me off when i was trying to sneak around on the back roads hunting,but i don't hunt anymore, :cheers:
Cardboard and duct tape.