Laramie Headlight Switch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mike Wenrich

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2004.5, 2023 RAM 2500 Laramie 4x4
Engine
5.9 Diesel, 6.4 Hemi
My 2023 turns the headlights on when running, in gear or not, at dark. There seems to be no way to turn them off at night. Is this normal for these new trucks? I plan to use the truck in a night parade and do not want the headlights on. The DRL might be okay but I would like the option to turn those off as well. The switch has four positions but none turn them as long as the truck is running.

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Turn the switch to off. That will shut the headlights off. Go into your settings on the radio and turn off the daytime running lights. That will shut those off.

CraigS41

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The DRL's will always be on, but they aren't bright (At least not mine). the headlight switch is in the settings on the center stack radio

OP
OP
M

Mike Wenrich

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Diesel, 6.4 Hemi
KKBB...no matter what position I turn the switch at night the headlights remain on until I turn the motor off. I'm going to try turning off the DRL on the computer screen but another person mentioned that won't help. And one other person on another site this is a problem with a lot of the RAMS and it may need a replacement switch. Still looking into this and will post an update when I get an answer. I recently saw a post, I believe on this forum, where a defective switch was changed. It gave a part number and said it was an easy to remove part from the dash but I don't know if it was the same issue.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Sounds like there maybe a problem with your headlight switch, you should be able to turn them off, only one of the settings should allow them to turn on automatically.
The DRLs should only turn on when the truck is in gear (forward or reverse) and the parking brake not set.

TRK_GANG74

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On my 19 Laramie Longhorn my DRL’s are my actual headlights. The LED strips above and below the actual headlight are not the DRL’s. Those LED strips are on all the time but I believe they don’t come on when the truck is in park with the parking brake on. I’ll check this afternoon when I get home.

Stavinksi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What fuse are the lights and what else does it take out?

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The DRL's will always be on, but they aren't bright (At least not mine). the headlight switch is in the settings on the center stack radio
You can go into your radio settings and turn of the DRL's. My headlights are controlled by a switch/knob and has Off/Parking/On/Auto. I keep it on Off so I control when they are on or not.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Sounds like there maybe a problem with your headlight switch, you should be able to turn them off, only one of the settings should allow them to turn on automatically.
The DRLs should only turn on when the truck is in gear (forward or reverse) and the parking brake not set.
My DRL settings are in my radio. I have DRL set to 'On' and they are On whenever my engine is running, parking brake, or not.

My headlight switch/knob has Off/Parking/On/Auto.

TRK_GANG74

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just came from my truck and when the headlight knob is in the off position and the DRL's turned off in the settings menu the LED strips above and below the headlights are on and the headlights off. When I turn the DRL's on in the settings menu the headlights come on when the vehicle is in motion only and the LED strips are on also. So in our trucks the headlights act as the DRL's in the daytime with them turned on in the settings menu. When that setting is turned off the headlights/DRL's are off when the vehicle is in motion. With the headlight knob in the off position the LED strips are always on regardless and the parking brake status makes no difference either. Like another poster stated the LED strips are not that bright but they are always on regardless of the Connect setting and knob position.

OP
OP
M

Mike Wenrich

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Diesel, 6.4 Hemi
I don't have an off position per se. The far left position does not appear turn off the lights and does not have any printed info. Start the engine and the DRL and I believe a low beam headlight is on. Rotate one position and the 12 inch display darkens and the parking lights, mirror lights, as well as headlight come on. So it is possible that turning off the DRL will do the job. Turn the switch one more position and I think both the DRL and headlights are on. But the DRL is more dim that when on the first setting. Then the last is the auto position. I think I got this right but I need the wife to operate the controls while I see what goes on in what position for sure. We have rain right now so I am waiting a couple days to enter into the computer inner sanctum.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Just came from my truck and when the headlight knob is in the off position and the DRL's turned off in the settings menu the LED strips above and below the headlights are on and the headlights off. When I turn the DRL's on in the settings menu the headlights come on when the vehicle is in motion only and the LED strips are on also. So in our trucks the headlights act as the DRL's in the daytime with them turned on in the settings menu. When that setting is turned off the headlights/DRL's are off when the vehicle is in motion. With the headlight knob in the off position the LED strips are always on regardless and the parking brake status makes no difference either. Like another poster stated the LED strips are not that bright but they are always on regardless of the Connect setting and knob position.
I don't have any LED strips.

OP
OP
M

Mike Wenrich

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Diesel, 6.4 Hemi
I went into my uconnect and was able to turn off the DRL's. Results were as listed above. I noticed in the off position the LED's were brighter and in the next position the headlight was on and the U shaped Led's were dimmed as well as the interior lights and the amber lights on the mirrors were on. Parking light position I suppose. So I can use this at night in a parade or parked in a lot but the LED's are going to be on regardless it appears. Good grief. Maybe I will use the 2004 for the Xmas parade and float. Gotta check this at night from behind to see if the LED tail lights will be blinding Santa and Mrs Claus. Front LED's would probably be okay.

ram4myE5

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 etorque Hemi
Just picked up my '24 Laramie and I have the same issue, headlights are on all the time no matter which position the rotating knob is on

OP
OP
M

Mike Wenrich

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Diesel, 6.4 Hemi
I read a post on a different forum there is a process for disconnecting the LED "surround" lights but the only way requires cutting a wire and I would be leery of that. If you just had to do it I suppose there is a workaround but it might also need a Alpha OBD modification made. My daytime headlights are off now so my switch works to shut them off at night but the LEDs are with me no matter what. Those are bright enough to work as DRL's so I don't know what the point was to activate the headlights as well. And...I don't know yet if those will be an issue in fog at night. They dim with the headlights on so might not be an issue.

CrazyHarleyGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
To our American Friends........from a crazy Canadian........can one of you please help?

If you have a 2023 or 2024 Laramie optioned like below, could one of you pull your headlight Switch out and let me know the Part Number of it?

1700892985079.png

Us Canadians get this switch and you will notice there is no OFF.....
1700893819203.png

I want to change the Switch to the one that you lucky Americans have.
1700893984579.png

My plan is to then use the Alfa OBD to tell my system it is an American Truck so I can have full function of the Lights and turn off the DRL.

Please help if you can and I thank you in advance.

Papa Red

Papa Red
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Here is a post I did a while back. It has the part number and pics.

Red