Leak from Clearance Lights?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
No, they have moon/sun roofs lol
Different types of gaskets.
Look your vin up on the ram trucks website and see if it qualifies. I bet it will.
Stop by a dealership and ask them to see if the recall has been done. Look at the lights and see if the lenses are cracked around the screw holes.
Simple things that you can do on your own without having ******* matches or sounding foolish.
Were all good folks here but kinda become offended when a senior member quotes truth and gets dogged in return. To vent is ok but don't direct your vent session towards a member who is attempting to help you get the answers your looking for. Ram's are awesome trucks so are Jeeps. If this is your first problem with a mopar product in 6 years as you said then that's pretty damn good...

Blue Mule

OP
OP
LHMegaCummins

LHMegaCummins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Different types of gaskets.
Look your vin up on the ram trucks website and see if it qualifies. I bet it will.
Stop by a dealership and ask them to see if the recall has been done. Look at the lights and see if the lenses are cracked around the screw holes.
Simple things that you can do on your own without having ******* matches or sounding foolish.
Were all good folks here but kinda become offended when a senior member quotes truth and gets dogged in return. To vent is ok but don't direct your vent session towards a member who is attempting to help you get the answers your looking for. Ram's are awesome trucks so are Jeeps. If this is your first problem with a mopar product in 6 years as you said then that's pretty damn good...

Blue Mule

Who quoted the truth and got dogged in return? I thanked one person in the thread and was PMing IRSmart and thanking him ...

And no this is far from the first issue with a mopar product but I accepted all the issues with my jeeps because I abused them and they were jeeps ... this truck is treated like a king

And it does fall into that category of vehicles built within the time frame but it’s out of warranty so even though FCA acknowledges the issue it’s not guaranteed to be covered so I have to see what happens ...

I did stop at a dealership and was told since I didn’t purchase it from them they don’t do any water damage work / I bought my truck before I moved so I’m hours away from my purchase dealership and all the lights have condensation in them ...

OP
OP
LHMegaCummins

LHMegaCummins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Update:

Spoke with Ram Customer Care on the phone again today and have a case number ... I also have an appointment at a dealership for next Tuesday with their water damage assessor ... the warranty department was very polite and pretty much stated that as long as there is no sign this damage was caused my the user they will cover it even though I’m beyond the 36,000 miles

It is pretty clear to me at least that this is a case of exactly what that device bulletin is about

You can see the one light out and then all the moisture under all the lights ... the one light that’s working has a crack
1CF35D35-C7BF-41F1-B913-23D6687669F1.jpeg
04578AFA-632F-4D2B-BFB9-AA072A6C20A2.jpeg
181DBB06-0FC2-4E28-ABC7-301CA9A7C455.jpeg

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
Well
Glad ya got it fixed. We’d hate ram to lose another bright eyed shiny happy customer lol.

OP
OP
LHMegaCummins

LHMegaCummins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Well
Glad ya got it fixed. We’d hate ram to lose another bright eyed shiny happy customer lol.

It’s not fixed yet but in case they don’t cover it I already ordered the replacement lights but with the holidays they won’t comeback in for a couple weeks and my bigger concern with it being winter and wet was stains to the headliner in the cab ...

I am pretty bright eyed and shiny how did you know?

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have noticed that the clearance light issues seem to be with the newer style lights with the mounting screws in the front and rear of the lights. I don't recall issues with the lights when the mounting screws were on each side of the light . I have not personally owned the newer style but I guess I have had 5 Rams with the previous style and never an issue. I'm wondering if the curve of the roof makes it easier to crack a light with the newer style light. May be a fine line between tightening enough not to leak but not to tight enough to crack the light.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I have noticed that the clearance light issues seem to be with the newer style lights with the mounting screws in the front and rear of the lights. I don't recall issues with the lights when the mounting screws were on each side of the light . I have not personally owned the newer style but I guess I have had 5 Rams with the previous style and never an issue. I'm wondering if the curve of the roof makes it easier to crack a light with the newer style light. May be a fine line between tightening enough not to leak but not to tight enough to crack the light.

My 2013 and my 2016 had the same lights and no issues. The problem he has and why the bulletin came out was that "batch" was over torqued at the factory. So yes if you over tighten them they will crack.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
It is actually amazing they don't leak more with 7 holes in the roof. One for each clearance light, one for the shark fin and one for the CHMSL. FWIW, I have had this issue with an F250 and a Ranger but both of those were gasket failures. It seems like the Florida sun dries them out, they shrink and start leaking. Now I replace the gaskets every 2 years on my vehicles.

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2013 and my 2016 had the same lights and no issues. The problem he has and why the bulletin came out was that "batch" was over torqued at the factory. So yes if you over tighten them they will crack.

Makes me wonder why they switched the mounting holes. It used to be the MOPAR lights had the holes side and the aftermarket had front and back mounting holes like the OE lights are now. Maybe they switched suppliers . Might be time to switch back if they are that much of problem .

Last edited:

Tin Shack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Wow, you really need to get over it. This is a $15 part you can replace yourself. Ask me how I know....I had a clearance light collecting moisture on my 2017 3500, no visible cracks. I tried some sealer and that didn't fix it. When I took it to the dealer for the steering recall, I purchased the subject part from the parts dept and replaced it myself. Some times the time wasted over haggle and hassle isn't worth my time. Get a torx driver and get to work.

OP
OP
LHMegaCummins

LHMegaCummins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Wow, you really need to get over it. This is a $15 part you can replace yourself. Ask me how I know....I had a clearance light collecting moisture on my 2017 3500, no visible cracks. I tried some sealer and that didn't fix it. When I took it to the dealer for the steering recall, I purchased the subject part from the parts dept and replaced it myself. Some times the time wasted over haggle and hassle isn't worth my time. Get a torx driver and get to work.

Thanks for the advice !

DodgeDude99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
No, they have moon/sun roofs lol

Which have drain tubes that run down the A pillar to the cowl rocker area. Essentially all factory sunroofs leak to a certain point but have drains unless the holes get clogged.
Cab lights don’t. No different than a skylight on a house, you’re putting a hole in a roof, there is a chance it will leak.

Its also just a piece of plastic, that the autoworker may have cranked down on a tad too much and cracked the plastic, hail, or a branch hit it.

tomb

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 bighorn-cherry red
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Who quoted the truth and got dogged in return? I thanked one person in the thread and was PMing IRSmart and thanking him ...

And no this is far from the first issue with a mopar product but I accepted all the issues with my jeeps because I abused them and they were jeeps ... this truck is treated like a king

And it does fall into that category of vehicles built within the time frame but it’s out of warranty so even though FCA acknowledges the issue it’s not guaranteed to be covered so I have to see what happens ...

I did stop at a dealership and was told since I didn’t purchase it from them they don’t do any water damage work / I bought my truck before I moved so I’m hours away from my purchase dealership and all the lights have condensation in them ...
Id be pissed off too--It would be worth it to them to do the fix labor free-you pay for the new lights-a compromise of sorts and keep a customer

OP
OP
LHMegaCummins

LHMegaCummins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Update:
Ram replaced the light and identified that it was a result of the known issue. I brought the truck to the Ram dealership in Dover NJ. The entire staff there was awesome, especially the manager Brian ... unlike other dealership service centers that brushed it off they were actual people who understood that it was frustrating.

Just a note I couldn’t go to the dealership I purchased the truck from as I have moved since buying it.

They ended up covering everything 100% and communicated directly with ram care ...

I know to some it seemed like an “over reaction” but I was pissed off !

Overall in the end I couldn’t be happier with the service from corporate and the dealership. That’s where I’ll be going moving forward ...

jr27236

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It is actually amazing they don't leak more with 7 holes in the roof. One for each clearance light, one for the shark fin and one for the CHMSL. FWIW, I have had this issue with an F250 and a Ranger but both of those were gasket failures. It seems like the Florida sun dries them out, they shrink and start leaking. Now I replace the gaskets every 2 years on my vehicles.
Its actually 15 holes for the clearance lights! Scary!

jr27236

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Which have drain tubes that run down the A pillar to the cowl rocker area. Essentially all factory sunroofs leak to a certain point but have drains unless the holes get clogged.
Cab lights don’t. No different than a skylight on a house, you’re putting a hole in a roof, there is a chance it will leak.

Its also just a piece of plastic, that the autoworker may have cranked down on a tad too much and cracked the plastic, hail, or a branch hit it.
Yeah and now that giant roof of glass is just more surface area to leak to me. I had an 07 Laramie qc and no matter what was done we couldn't get this thing to stop getting water in it. I nicknamed her "the submarine"

toejam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Mine's in for a second time. Water is running down the inside of the windshield and the A pillars. Headliner is wet and water is dumping out of the overhead console. It's back at the dealer again for repair. Sure hope my windshield doesn't rust out...... 2016 3500