LED BED LIGHTS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AGANDY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have added White LED lights under the rails of my tonneau cover. Now I need a point to tap for 12DC power. I have the OEM bed lights. I want the new LEDs to come on with the OEM bed lights. Just hate to cut into wires when not sure. Any ideas?

konfuzed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 liter Hemi
If they are not factory plug and play, I (personally) wouldn't tap into anything. If you plan on adding anything else electrical on your truck, add your own fuse box, they're cheap on Amazon. It will give you a safe place to add all of your accessories and keep it separated from causing problems to your truck. You could even get a pressure switch to come on when you open your tailgate.

Sent from my SM-T878U using Tapatalk

NorthStar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn/Lone Star 4x2 Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
This is one of the cleanest ways to get power for your bed. Granted, it is made to install a canopy/topper on the bed of a truck but does provide power at the top rear of the bed which could be utilized as the power source for your LEDs. Keep in mind you’ll also have a wire in the fit for the 3rd brake light which you won’t need. And yes, they are on back order at this time but are expected to ship from Leer to the distributor this week.

https://www.ezwheeler.com/products/7-way-interface-harness

Last edited:

John KIOhio

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have added White LED lights under the rails of my tonneau cover. Now I need a point to tap for 12DC power. I have the OEM bed lights. I want the new LEDs to come on with the OEM bed lights. Just hate to cut into wires when not sure. Any ideas?
I have factory installed 5th wheel plugs and wires and bed lights. See if you can get aftermarket like this https://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit-Vehicle-Wiring/Ram/2500/2020/50-97-410.html?vehicleid=202089458 . It T's into existing wiring as long as you have a factory bumper hitch. I have done this one previous vehicles. This isn't the only place to buy them, I am just using as an example!

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I used this to create an additional flat 4-pin trailer connector that I plugged my LED under-the-tailgate lights into. It's clean because it's all under the truck. It T's into the 7-pin round factory connector and provides the additional flat trailer connector so you don't have to unplug your lights if you are towing.

Check this out at Amazon
CURT 55384 Replacement Vehicle-Side Custom USCAR 4-Pin Trailer Wiring Harness https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009FJ38Q/ref=cm_sw_r_sm_apa_i_xBu.FbA9K16JG?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Orangejbird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Tradesman
Engine
I used this to create an additional flat 4-pin trailer connector that I plugged my LED under-the-tailgate lights into. It's clean because it's all under the truck. It T's into the 7-pin round factory connector and provides the additional flat trailer connector so you don't have to unplug your lights if you are towing.

Check this out at Amazon
CURT 55384 Replacement Vehicle-Side Custom USCAR 4-Pin Trailer Wiring Harness https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009FJ38Q/ref=cm_sw_r_sm_apa_i_xBu.FbA9K16JG?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Curious.
How did you wire the Backup light function and what LED STRIP did you use? How did you deal with the tailgate wiring connector?
Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Curious.
How did you wire the Backup light function and what LED STRIP did you use? How did you deal with the tailgate wiring connector?
Thanks.

Curt also makes a 5 pin that has the reverse.
I use a Opt-7 light that has a seperate white wire for reverse. I had another harness so cut off a male pin to fit the female 5 pin and spliced white wire to insulated male pin so connector is sealed.

Orangejbird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Tradesman
Engine
Thank you![emoji41]
Any issues with the tailgate wiring connector cover?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thank you![emoji41]
Any issues with the tailgate wiring connector cover?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The curt harness hooks up in line behind the bumper allowing total use of towing connector in the bumper

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Curious.
Thanks.

Check this out at Amazon
MICTUNING Triple Tailgate Light Bar Waterproof Plug-and-Play Aluminum Frame with 4-Way Flat Connector Wire - Amber Sequential Turn Signal, Red Brake/Running, White Reverse Lights for Pickup Truck https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R22N7LK/ref=cm_sw_r_sm_apa_fabc_TuscGb3ZNV0HQ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

wesley2021

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Any ideas on why my tailgate light bar will work when its plugged into the 4pin plug on the back but wont do anything when tapped into the same wiring behind the bumper. The colors are correct as well??

Jack Salem

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How do you mount the 60" bar? On the new body there are 2 "nubs" that are in the way.

sandman98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0l EcoDiesel
i just tapped into the existing led bed lights. pull off the tail light assembly (two torx screws, and two friction studs). pull the assembly straight back to remove it as there are plastic studs to align the light assembly and they will break if you twist it.

find the wiring bundle going to the stock bed lights. it's a split wrap, so you can just unroll it with your fingers to access the wires. the red is the one you want to tap for your add-on leds (if you want them to function with the existing bed lights). the black (ground) can go anywhere to the frame of the truck with a self tapping screw.

i usually use this method for tapping into existing wires:

egusaas01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L EcoDiesel
Hello - My wife got me a Nilight 3 piece 60 inch LED bed light kit. High level question - Is there not an existing power source at the rear of the truck that I can tap into for power on a 2017 Laramie?

So far, I’ve tried the rear 3rd brake light (not enough juice evidently), the license plate/tag light (I guess that’s part of a Canbus circuit so the moment I tap it, the license plate/tag lights no longer work.) Tonight we tried tapping off the left rear brake light - to no avail. I don’t want to have to buy an adapter as some have suggested as that seems foolish. I’ve connected it to a booster pack and made sure the kit isn’t faulty - looks great when it’s lit up. I’ve watched YouTube video below that suggests tapping off a wire in the cab of the truck, but again, feel like there’s gotta be some circuit somewhere under the bed that I can just poach power from. The ground is wired up as the lights are mounted.

Thank you for your insights!