LED Brake lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scott harmon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2018 Ram. I just purchased led tail lights for my truck. The truck is a non-led setup. They came with the resistors and they are working correctly. The lights work great with during the day and when the drl are not on. Once the lights come on, it throws a parking light out error message on the dash. I know this is a simple question, but what’s the fix? Thanks and have a great day.

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
So you're using 3157 LED bulbs and resistors? If it's those small gold finned resistors they're not CANBUS safe. When I ran LEDs I used Syntec 3157 resistors, CANBUS safe & no errors.

OP
OP
scott harmon

scott harmon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I understand what you are saying. It’s the type that you take the bulb out with a direct plug and play into the bulb socket. Yes, gold finned resistors.

OP
OP
scott harmon

scott harmon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is what I have. So I went to the dealership and had them hook to ALFAOBD. They turned the led features on, but still comes up with, "Parking light out". Called the company where I got them and they are sending me another pair at no charge. The person stated that they have had some bad resistors, so this should solve the issue.

Does anyone think that I need to get the CANBUS resistors, or wait until the new set arrives? Thanks......

2149FD6E-0D52-4B82-9145-0FDF2E106FF8.jpeg

Last edited:

ADUBIS

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Looks like the set I just got. So far working great and no error codes

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
This is what I have. So I went to the dealership and had them hook to ALFAOBD. They turned the led features on, but still comes up with, "Parking light out". Called the company where I got them and they are sending me another pair at no charge. The person stated that they have had some bad resistors, so this should solve the issue.

Does anyone think that I need to get the CANBUS resistors, or wait until the new set arrives? Thanks......

View attachment 208422
Those look like they should have resistors built in. These types are very specific as to whether the truck has original LEDs or not. If it's for an original non-LED truck it'll have everything built in and say so. In that case activating LEDs with Alfa might screw it up.

OP
OP
scott harmon

scott harmon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Those look like they should have resistors built in. These types are very specific as to whether the truck has original LEDs or not. If it's for an original non-LED truck it'll have everything built in and say so. In that case activating LEDs with Alfa might screw it up.

They do. They have the yellow fin ones that you spoke about before. I had the issue before I went to the dealer. The program is now active, so I'm thinking that I will have to have it removed now. Just gonna wait and see if the new set that they are sending will do the same thing. I really like the the set that cityredneck gave the link to. It just sucks that I cannot get the parking light to go off.

Last edited:

Smokeybear01

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
So these won't cut it right? Even if I already purchased CANBUS error-free bulbs?

Sent from OnePlus 7 PRO using Tapatalk
448c06e660c8f4b30191db0b41a80606.jpg
Those should cure the light out problem if you have a non-led truck. Here's how I installed mine-just make sure you mount the resistor on metal because they do get hot!DSCF2130.JPG

Smokeybear01

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
The problem is LEDs don't draw enough juice so the computer thinks the bulb is burnt out. You stick a 6 ohm 50 watt resistor between the hot wire and the ground wire and the computer reads that as a good bulb and no errors, no flickers, no problems. It doesn't seem to matter if the LED bulbs are CANBUS or not on some vehicles. In my coach, the CANBUS bulbs work without resistors-not so in the truck! Good luck

OP
OP
scott harmon

scott harmon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My question now is this, will I have to go and have the LED function in the ALFA turned off, or will I now have to cancel the last shipment and buy lights set up for led OEM?

Smokeybear01

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Hey Scott, my research says you shouldn't have to have the LED function turned off for LED or NON LED lights to work properly. With that said, these trucks definitely have a brain of their own and sometimes I swear they think on their own. The place that sold you the lights is probably correct in assuming that yours came with a bad resistor or two. That happens. There is no such thing as a CANBUS resistor. A resistor is just that-a resistor. They come in an endless variety of shapes, sizes, and ohms. What we need for a 12V system, or most vehicles on the road today for LEDs to work properly with our vehicles brains is a 6 ohm 50W rated resistor. When installed we are doing nothing more than tricking the computer into thinking that it's lighting up a bulb when in fact it's just generating heat, with the side benefit of providing electric current through the LED. (Light emitting diode) A diode used to be nothing more than a current director allowing current to only flow through it in one direction. This is great when you want to set up a vehicle to be towed and use its existing lights and wiring without feeding electric into places you don't want electric to flow. IE-the towed vehicles brain. An LED is nothing more than a current director with a side benefit of emitting light, in any color you desire. Long winded, but electronics used to be my thing. Not so much anymore. Anyway, long story short, try the new set of lights when you get them and see if you have any more problems before you start buying crap you don't need. The ones you have now are really sweet looking and I would do my damndest to get them or the new ones if they're the same, working. Good luck. I definitely want to hear how things turn out for you.

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Correct, there is no CANBUS 'resistor'.
However, there are CANBUS decoders, and these solve problems.
The Syntec ones I mentioned worked when the gold resistors I had failed.

Zigi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco diesel
I had after market LED black taillights on my 2016 for two years with the parking light error. When I removed them, the plugs looked like they were overheated. Haven’t put them on my new truck

OP
OP
scott harmon

scott harmon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have another set coming and should be here tomorrow night. Most likely will install Thursday morning. If they don't work, I have the decoders to try. If that fails, I will order a set of the ones like yours. Thanks and we shall see.

MattCham

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
2018 Ram. I just purchased led tail lights for my truck. The truck is a non-led setup. They came with the resistors and they are working correctly. The lights work great with during the day and when the drl are not on. Once the lights come on, it throws a parking light out error message on the dash. I know this is a simple question, but what’s the fix? Thanks and have a great day.

Get Alfaobd. There's a thread on here about it. May help you get rid of the codes without messing with resistors. I do not have a single resistor in my and went from incandescent to LED

OP
OP
scott harmon

scott harmon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Get Alfaobd. There's a thread on here about it. May help you get rid of the codes without messing with resistors. I do not have a single resistor in my and went from incandescent to LED
Tried that....didn't work.