Led Dash Conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Armyman14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
Yeah see those only offer black white and silver. Im looking for red

Armyman14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
Any help? If I buy red bulbs will it make my dash gauges look purple? :O

Zachohs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
buy the gauge faces from them,(black cat custom) the face color is the background, the lighting color is the ticks and numbers and what not, it will make them show red.

Armyman14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
buy the gauge faces from them,(black cat custom) the face color is the background, the lighting color is the ticks and numbers and what not, it will make them show red.

So I'm gonna have to pay about 130 dollars to get it changed to red?

Armyman14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8

I see what your saying now! So I couldn't just buy the red bulbs and solder them on? I'd have to buy a whole new gauge set? It'd be pretty cool though because you can do custom lettering on it!
So I probably won't need 11 bulbs anymore right? Well how do I do the red lights for the headlight control, HVAC controls(minus the cold/hot control) and the overhead readout?

Zachohs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Idk exactly about the bulbs, it'd probably look better, best thing to do is to contact black cat customs about it and they have a hvac gauge thing, where you take off the current panel, its like a sticker and you stick the new one on, I have on in my truck. I think I may have some images somewhere

Armyman14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
Yeah that would be great if you could.

Armyman14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
And what's the difference in those HVAC controls, maybe it's because of the daylight?

jsmith180601

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i followed this to do my 04 and it worked great. i will try to answer any questions you may have. a couple other members on here have done this as well

Did u use the B8.5D led too

Sent from my HTC One VX using Tapatalk 2

jsmith180601

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I ordered 11 b8.5d leds and received in the mail b8.4d will these work too or do I have to wait ans send them back

Sent from my HTC One VX using Tapatalk 2

butters90

Reaction score
Stationed: Scott AFB, IL Hometown: Fairfield, MT
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 4.7
I just tried to do the LED Swap for my instrument cluster and it didnt work so well. Not sure if some of the bulbs didnt fit or what, but over half worked, but some didnt. They were too loose. (I had 8.5D bulbs, dont know if that helps anything). I would have to move them around and hold them, but they wouldnt stay. Even my HVAC controls didnt work too well. All my LEDS would be lit, but the color wouldnt be across all of the controls. There would be blank spots. Not sure what im doing wrong, but i dont want to mess with my dash anymore because i dont want to fry or break anything and the frustration level is getting through the roof. Been trying to do this during the day and its been about 90+ here in IL. sorry for the rant, but im tired of trying to do this. I custom car/truck shop quoted me about $100 just in labor and im def not doin that.

I was told that wax paper would help the lights spread across evenly. Is this true? If it is, can you also do that with the instrument cluster somehow?

dishman2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Bryan, did the "OEM type" LED's (Neo5's) work better than the B8.5D's? i too had trouble with the 8.5's in my HVAC control panel. seemed that the metal "wings" on them were a tad bit too long to go through the socket hole, so i would up having to "angle" one side in before the other would go. Bent one and thank goodness it bent back out without breaking. mine go in and out on bumps, so i don't think they are locking in tight. Also, my drivers side window switch looks like they have lights in them, but they don't light up. Is there a thread on changing window switch lights out? Think i saw one on Youtube video, but now I can't find it.

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
I was actually thinking upon replacing the gauges and cluster with a complete led unit. Not sure if it can be done though, I did find a company that makes replacement guage clusters but instead of the pointers it has leds that cange color and the other gauges are in numbers.

beperson83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is a stupid question..

Alright, I feel dumb for asking this. But I'm looking at doing the LED conversion and buying bulbs from Super bright LED's. I found the correct bulbs, but idk which size to get. I'm planning on getting the NEOx led bulbs, but they have 3 different sizes. 3mm, 4mm and 5mm. Can someone please help me??

Motorcharge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Anyone have an accurate list of what's needed for an 03? Not sure what else is different but neither my dome nor my map lights are what's listed in the OP.

Overhead dome light took a T10 wedge base and my map lights take a 578 festoon rather than the 6451 listed. Good thing too because they're 1/3 the price of the 6451s.

eBay is a much cheaper source than superbrightsleds too. Even Amazon has a lot of them for cheaper ($0.04 for the T10 wedges in white) though you're more limited on color options.

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looking at doing this to my 02, but have a few questions. Since the 06+ has no need to solder the bulbs, is this just like the 02-05? As the OP stated with all blue LEDs the red parts (needle and hot areas) don't shine, but when looking at other people's LED conversion they seem to be shining red, am I missing something? I do decent night driving so I'd like the red parts showing.

Last question: anyone have their dash in cool blue and not just blue? Debating what I'd like to do!

kevinmaq

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
are the cruise control buttons on the steering wheel supposed to light up at night? 2007 ram 1500 quad