LED License Plate and Reverse Light Bulbs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adboyd06

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 6.7
Any one know of a LED bulb manufacturer that does not trip the bulb out message for the license plate (194) or reverse light (7440/7443)? I was able to buy the cutequeen 194 bulbs and they fit in the third brake light but not in the license plate because they are too long. I was able to find Sylvania LED bulbs at Meijer of all places that claim to be compatible with most sensitive electrical systems, well they tripped the light out message and they are extremely dull.

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I used Lasfit in my reverse and got no message and they're really bright.

2016Bighorny

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have Morimoto for license plates, and Diode Dynamics for my reverse... no issues here, and very bright!

Hottrod

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
My brother installed a set of LED license plate lights that were the entire house trim piece and a built in LED panel. They look way better then my Phillips 194's and it doesnt throw the light out code on the cluster. He bought them on amazon i believe.

KnurledNut

SemperFi
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I went with the Auxbeam's for the backup lights. No error codes, well-rated on Amazon, and $15 for the pair. I didn't mess with the license plate lights as it can cause an extreme glare from the light angle.

Here's the ASIN for the Auxbeam: B07414XVKT

William Hastings

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I had lasfit 194s, they were too bright for the license plate ,put too much glare on the back up camera.
That was the issue with the several different LEDs I tried for my license plate lights. I used black vinyl tape to mask off the top of the license plate light lenses. Now just the plate is lit up and I can see the trailer hitch at night too.

Cableman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
If we have alphaobd do we still need canbus rated 194 and 921 bulbs? I haven't used mine yet but need to soon once i install my hids.

Cableman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I ended up with the autogine 194 bulbs for my license plate, they were still too bright so i removed the top led and soldered a wire to complete the circuit. I tried a small piece of electric tape 1st which wasnt bad either but that top one kinda blocks the throw of the side lights.
No bulb out message.Screenshot_20191128-074724~2.png

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I ended up with the autogine 194 bulbs for my license plate, they were still too bright so i removed the top led and soldered a wire to complete the circuit. I tried a small piece of electric tape 1st which wasnt bad either but that top one kinda blocks the throw of the side lights.
I had the same dislike about LEDs being too bright for the license plate lights. I used wide vinyl tape to mask off the top half of the lenses(outside) and it works good. It keeps all the light on the plate not all over the tailgate and doesn't cause nearly as big of a bright spot on the reverse cam.