LED Lightbar Chrome Bumper Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JCARTER7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A few people asked me if i could do a write up on the 42inch curved LED light bar for the chrome style bumpers. My install was on a 2011 1500 Laramie.

*just note you will have to buy a (2 sets of) 4" 5/16 stainless steel bolt, nuts, and washers for the install*

First you will notice on the black plastic insert in the bumper the inner upper lip has a few black plastic push pin fasteners. seen in the picture below. pop out the center with a flat head screw driver then the read of it will come out.

After you take out those push in fasteners pop your head under and behind the bumper. you will notice on the bottom back of the insert there are fins every few inches. you will need to push them up and forward with a flat head screw driver. you can see in the photo what i mean and how may fins there are. the fins run the entire bottom of the insert.

free photo hosting

free image hosting

Now that the insert is now off the truck, looking into the gap you will notice 4 bolts looking at you. 2 on each of the far sides of the gap. those are some of the bolts that hold you bumper to the frame. on the drivers side you will take our the lower right bolt on the passenger side you will take out the lower left bolt. this is where we are going to mount the led bar too.

print screen

Next your going to have to install the bracket the comes with the LED bar facing in. like in the picture below. But be sure to install the 4 inch stainless steel bolt (not included in kit) first because you wont be able to install afterwards.

imgupload

Next you will line up those bolts on the LED bracket to the two bumper bolt holes. Someone else will have to hold the light from the front as you install the washers and nuts on both sides to hold the light in. Use Blue Locktight on the treads to ensure that will not not loosen up. I did not take a picture from behind but its just nuts and washers when the bolt on the led bar are pushed into the bumper frame holes.

image ru

WIRING:

332uoeh.jpg

SO: this is similar to what you need to do, easy! The two wire connection coming from your LED bar i took the black lead and fastened it to a bolt on the bumper for the ground (non painted surface). then i added wire onto the lead from the LED bar and ran it to a input 87 on my relay. then 86 terminal of your relay i spliced into your headlight corner amber light bulb.
USING ONE OF THESE:
00001402.jpg

*REASON WHY I CHOSE YOU USE THE AMBER CORNER LIGHT AS MY RELAY SIGNAL WIRE IS BECAUSE WHEN I TURN OFF THE TUCK THE LIGHTS WILL TURN OFF WITH THE TRUCK RATHER THEN STAYING ON IF I FORGOT TO TURN THE SWITCH OFF. ALSO IF I LEAVE THE SWITCH ON WHEN I GET OUT TURN OFF THE TRUCK THE LIGHT WILL BE OFF; BUT WHEN I AUTO START THE TRUCK IF THE SWITCH IS IN THE ON POSITION THE LED BAR WILL COME ON WITH THE AUTO START. NICE AT NIGHT TIME WHEN APPROACHING YOUR TRUCK.*

Then the 30/51 terminal can run into your truck to a swtich then back to your posstive side of your battery 12v. then finally the 85 terminal of your relay will go to ground (the frame or negative side of battery) !!!! good luck any questions feel free to ask!

THANK YOU!
Any more questions feel free to massage me or comment.

Last edited:

HemiPower36

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 3.92 8-speed
Engine
hemi 5.7
I am sure someone will greatly appreciate the write up. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Raist11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Fantastic, this is a project down the road for me so I haven't looked closely at that part of the truck yet. Nice to know how simple it will be to pop one in.

gray8188

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Awesome man thank you. I will be doing this. Looks simple aside from the wiring. I hate wiring lol.

OP
OP
JCARTER7

JCARTER7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Awesome man thank you. I will be doing this. Looks simple aside from the wiring. I hate wiring lol.

No problem everyone. Happy holidays. When you guys do the install and have questions massage me! I love it, it flows great. Thanks

Drummin4jc

WWG1WGA!
Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 Ram 2500 CC
Engine
6.4 Hemi
No problem everyone. Happy holidays. When you guys do the install and have questions massage me! I love it, it flows great. Thanks

Great write up, JCARTER7! I just might have to try this out after my lift install next year. Merry Christmas!

Adam

Big Boi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Does your light bar sit flush, or does it stick out like mine?

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Great write up! Looks good man.

Greg
2012 | 2500 | CCLB | Custom MCC by Double R Diesel

OP
OP
JCARTER7

JCARTER7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Some have asked if it sticks out, yes it dose as seen in the picture below. But i blends in with the truck and i think it looks great. I thought it was going to bother me more and it happened to not bother me at all! Give it a GO!

screenshot program

image upload no size limit

RamRMK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Bummer photos no longer show just got my light bar to install

RamRMK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can u post a photo of the brackets on the bar? Do they go in or out. And seems I have to angle them pretty far up to get the bolts to line up with the bumper holes?

THRASHER

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v8
None of the pictures show up!! Would really like to see how it turned out

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can u post a photo of the brackets on the bar? Do they go in or out. And seems I have to angle them pretty far up to get the bolts to line up with the bumper holes?

Did you get yours done?

RamRMK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not yet :( was waiting for some warmer weather as I don't have a heated garage. I tried to mock up the bar but I couldn't seem to get the angle of the brackets right.

RamRMK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Forgot to post after install5e7964a71d164b746b373cc461784e56.jpg5cd5724ff47d02a83f4314db7d756b67.jpgef3b488b89b2151c4df291834e000f87.jpg

Had a friend fab brackets because we noticed that the bar would rub on the bumper with just the bolts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FlorianB