LED pods in rear bumper (pic heavy)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SlightlyTweaked

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI VVT
So for no reason what so ever I decided to buy a pair of 3"x3" LED spot pattern pod lights with the recessed bezel. Once they showed up i had to decide where to install them, either in front grille or in rear bumper. I went with the rear bumper bc the 20" LED bar in the front bumper pretty much lights up the world. So here's step by step pics of the mounting install.
Pics:
1) Used painters tape to mask off area for cuts to be made
2) Measured exact center location for both lights and traced out edges
3) Drilled pilot holes in 4 corners and made cut with jigsaw
4) Test fit light
5) Both holes cut out

LED bumper lights.jpg

LED bumper lights1.jpg

LED bumper lights2.jpg

LED bumper lights3.jpg

LED bumper lights4.jpg

OP
OP
SlightlyTweaked

SlightlyTweaked

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI VVT
Cont'd
Pics:
6) Finished with cuts and mounting holes, and used an oil paint pen to trace all cuts and holes as a rust inhibitor
7) Since the bumper face isn't 100% flat I used foam/rubber as a gasketing material to seal up light bezel to bumper face
8&9) Foam rubber cut and slid onto light
10) LEDs complete;y mounted

I didnt post any of the wiring install bc that will differ depending on how you want them to operate. I have the AUX switches in my dash so all i had to do was run a single 12VDC+ wire to the connection point in the engine compartment. Grounded the other to frame in rear of truck.

LED bumper lights5.jpg

LED bumper lights6.jpg

LED bumper lights7.jpg

LED bumper lights8.jpg

LED bumper lights9.jpg

spiG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
I want to do this to my front bumper as I don't have fog lights and my rear bumper has the parking assist sensors. Just have to build up the confidence to cut up my brand new bumper. Maybe i'll wait till I get it painted white to match the truck and just have them do it.. we shall see

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
so for no reason what so ever i decided to buy a pair of 3"x3" led spot pattern pod lights with the recessed bezel. Once they showed up i had to decide where to install them, either in front grille or in rear bumper. I went with the rear bumper bc the 20" led bar in the front bumper pretty much lights up the world. So here's step by step pics of the mounting install.
Pics:
1) used painters tape to mask off area for cuts to be made
2) measured exact center location for both lights and traced out edges
3) drilled pilot holes in 4 corners and made cut with jigsaw
4) test fit light
5) both holes cut out

^^^

what did you use to cut the holes??

Sent from my lg-d851 using tapatalk

:)

OP
OP
SlightlyTweaked

SlightlyTweaked

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI VVT
What did you use to cut the holes??

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

Drilled pilot holes in the corners of the outline and then used a jigsaw with a brand new metal blade. Like a hot knife through butter.

It was a little nerve racking making the first cut, but what I told my son was "well, if I f%#k this up I'm ordering a new off road bumper to replace this one, them will NEED a front one to match". A good backup plan but a little costly.

OP
OP
SlightlyTweaked

SlightlyTweaked

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI VVT
I want to do this to my front bumper as I don't have fog lights and my rear bumper has the parking assist sensors. Just have to build up the confidence to cut up my brand new bumper. Maybe i'll wait till I get it painted white to match the truck and just have them do it.. we shall see

I dont have foglights in my front bumper either, but I would def recommend a LED lightbar mounted in the lower bumper for the front before I cut into front bumper.

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I dont have foglights in my front bumper either, but I would def recommend a LED lightbar mounted in the lower bumper for the front before I cut into front bumper.

^^^THIS!!!!^^^

If you mounted flush-mount lights in your front bumper they wouldn't be adjustable.

joshjack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Good job! I wonder about doing something with IR LED's so that it would only be visible through the backup camera...

OP
OP
SlightlyTweaked

SlightlyTweaked

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI VVT
Op,

Can you do a night shot? Preferably against like your garage or wall.

Maybe with reverse lights on/off for comparison.

Yeah bro, I can do that this weekend and post. I'll have to use side of the house bc I don't have a garage, geez do i really need one!