LED pods in rear bumper (pic heavy)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jgruberman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0L
So you do have a 3 position switch?

I'm thinking about running my reverse power from the reverse pin and then my regular 12v power from the top right pin.(wiring diagram shows that as aux 12v) so judging by that I shouldn't have to run any wires to my battery. Anyone have any suggestions/concern?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No, as I mentioned... I have an on/off switch.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Ktstull

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
No, as I mentioned... I have an on/off switch.

Ah ok, I misinterpreted that. My bad

jgruberman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0L
Ah ok, I misinterpreted that. My bad

On/off switch on my dash. Runs to the battery, to the positive of the LEDs(both strung together). LEDs also run to the trailer reverse so basically I feed power to the LEDs when I'm in reverse, or I switch it on from the battery at the dash.

SETEX 6.4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
This is what I would do if I was you.
Using the 3 way switch gives you the option to have them totally off (middle position) automatic with reverse mode or manually on with or without the key in accessory position (your choice).

Hope this helps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1469032318680.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1469032318680.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 112

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
On/off switch on my dash. Runs to the battery, to the positive of the LEDs(both strung together). LEDs also run to the trailer reverse so basically I feed power to the LEDs when I'm in reverse, or I switch it on from the battery at the dash.

No issues with the backfeed from the switched power through the trailer wire circuit?

Ktstull

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
This is what I would do if I was you.
Using the 3 way switch gives you the option to have them totally off (middle position) automatic with reverse mode or manually on with or without the key in accessory position (your choice).

Hope this helps.

I'm sure it would be easy for me to test, I'm just not by my truck at the moment. Do you know if the "Aux 12v" pin on the trailer harness is a constant power source? Or is it only when the vehicle is in aux or running.

SETEX 6.4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Honestly I don't know. I have yet to do this but when I do w I will be running a total separate power leas off of an aux fuse panel.

jgruberman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0L
No issues with the backfeed from the switched power through the trailer wire circuit?
Nope.

Also it's worth noting that I completely removed my factory reverse bulbs and placed a resistor in place of the harness. My ONLY backup lighting is the lights in my bumper. So when I'm in reverse they come on, when I'm not in reverse they are off. When I toggle the on/off switch on, they come on no matter what, vehicle running or not.

Justthebutler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 SLT
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Bottom line with LED's are the actual Diode itself. As long as you make sure that genuine CREE LEDs are used the manufacturer assembling them doesn't matter. Me personally, I used $100 set that had CREEs in them. The rear bumper is a bad place to put anything expensive between mud/snow build up or someone hitting the bumper. I'd rather replace $100 vs $350

This.

Lyle Longboat

2011 Ram 1500 5.7 Sport CC
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Kind of a bad pic, but I have 4 in the rear stock bumper. Colour matched and sealed inside and out. Yes, a lot of sweat when making the first cut. After you do the first cut, it’s easy lol.7BEE5272-AB29-4418-BD52-615B70D624E8.png

w6pea

U.S.Marine Corps Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500 "Laramie" 4x2 CC/LB SRW 6.7L CTD Leer 122 Campershell
Engine
6.7L IL6 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Here's a photo of my 2016 Ram 2500 Laramie with as my calls it teeth, I also have installed LED Back Up Lights need to take a photo so I can post it to the forum.
another night I can't sleep.
Pat's 2500 Ram Laramie DSCN1730.JPG

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So for no reason what so ever I decided to buy a pair of 3"x3" LED spot pattern pod lights with the recessed bezel. Once they showed up i had to decide where to install them, either in front grille or in rear bumper. I went with the rear bumper bc the 20" LED bar in the front bumper pretty much lights up the world. So here's step by step pics of the mounting install.
Pics:
1) Used painters tape to mask off area for cuts to be made
2) Measured exact center location for both lights and traced out edges
3) Drilled pilot holes in 4 corners and made cut with jigsaw
4) Test fit light
5) Both holes cut out
They look commercial and after cutting into your bumper its going to start to rust all around the cut you made

Lyle Longboat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I installed 4 led flush pods in my rear bumper and had to first grind down the cut out, prime, paint, install, and seal with a sealer. I did both outside and inside. So far doing well. Had them
In for a year now, even through a Canadian winter!

Only issue is the placement when running 4. The bumper isn’t flat and has raised areas that can make the lights look slanted from different angles.4D638C2C-9778-4E2F-B484-77C640EBF6F5.png

Lyle Longboat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i have a question i want to mount two of these to come on only for reverse lights can i use the reverse power and ground from my 7 pin trailer connection for two 18 watt lights or is the power draw to much i'm still figuring this diy stuff out so sorry if this has been asked before
I did this, wired 4 led pods to my reverse lights. I grounded to the frame and fused the lights and ran off the reverse. No issues with my lights working. You could run a switch as well if you wanted too instead of the reverse light.

Purplert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I installed 4 led flush pods in my rear bumper and had to first grind down the cut out, prime, paint, install, and seal with a sealer. I did both outside and inside. So far doing well. Had them
In for a year now, even through a Canadian winter!

Only issue is the placement when running 4. The bumper isn’t flat and has raised areas that can make the lights look slanted from different angles.View attachment 175544

Daytime picture please. No offense. Idk could be the picture but they look crooked. Probably would of looked less cheesy if they stayed black.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Lyle Longboat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Daytime picture please. No offense. Idk could be the picture but they look crooked. Probably would of looked less cheesy if they stayed black.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
No offence taken bud, I like
Um red, had them
Black but like the red better. Pic sucks though, I’ll get one done in the day light. I’ll
Post it up when I get chance too. The second pod from the right is crooked, but that due to the pod itself inside the casing is not Straight. I should have taken it apart and tried to correct it but just didn’t want to bother messing with the seal. I did that to the front pods and one started leaking, even after resealing them.