leveling kit install- Epic Fail

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gtex1970

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
i must be losing my touch. nothing went easy in my attempt to install the rough country kit and I had to punt. boogered up the sway bar link trying to remove it and couldn't get the axle to drop far enough to removed the coil, much less re-install the coil with the new spacer.

now I probably need to get a new sway bar link and maybe try again or just pay somebody.

i've previously installed full suspension lifts on several vehicles, removed and installed engines and transmissions, full on body swap on a pickup truck, built a roller rocker Ford 428... kind of embarassed to fail on this...

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I stripped out one of the sway bar links on my truck removing to install the bilsteins in the front. It’s a process to do the level kits on the trucks. Took me 5 hours plus I had to order a sway bar link

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

17CrewCab1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
1500s are a pain to work on. I can do a front 3" and a rear 1" for a 2500, with shocks faster than a freaking level kit for a 1500.

So when it comes lift time on my truck, you are saying it's well worth to have someone else do it? haha

zeddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
When I did my 2inch thuren spring, I only undid the shocks. Axle went down enough for me to remove the stock spring and install the 2inch spring.

OP
OP
gtex1970

gtex1970

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
finally victorious. after getting some more tools at Harbor Freight, the kit is installed. I found the trick for me was wedging a small bottle jack between the frame and trailing arm to help get some separation for the coils to go in and out. I think my parking was also in a a bad spot, on a slight angle at an angle.

greg

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
Fails happen all of the time. Even on the simplest, stupidest stuff. A common one for me has always been some how missing the catch bucket with fluids. Even when I try hard not to miss lol.