Limp mode

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ron Seniuk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2017 Ram 1500 5.7l with a little over 100k miles on it. Recently it started to run very rough, misfire and camshaft position sensor codes. Replaced the sensor today but nothiced the traction control light on, tried to hit the button to turn it off no luck. Tried to take it out to go to work, couldn't get over 40mph and high RPM's. Checked the codes and the various cylinder misfire codes that were there with the camshaft position sensor but the added P1DD2 code was there. Truck idles like it should whick is much better than before replacing the sensor as I was getting a very rough run. I also had a throttle controller module in it, but reset it to factory and uninstalled it to no avail. Help me before I just decide to toss a stick of dynamite under it please

Escotch

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi Ron,

Sounds like we might be having similar issues - same limp mode with camshaft position sensor code and P1DD2. I'm going to start a post on the 3.6 board, but my advice would be to check the connector for the Camshaft position sensor. After changing the Bank 2 sensor and going down a rabbit hole of removing the valve cover I found that I'm getting inconsistent voltage readings at the connector. Oddly enough, I'm getting inconsistent readings on the connectors for both banks 1 and 2, even though my code p0394 is indicating Bank 2. I'm not sure, but I believe a voltmeter should give readings on 3 out of the 4 wires at the connector. I'm able to get 5 volts on wires 1,3, and 4 but only by wiggling/manipulating the connector.

Just something to check before you light that dynamite.

Best of luck,
Scott

Musky Mike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Sounds like the cam and lifers. Lost a lobe or two.

OP
OP
Ron Seniuk

Ron Seniuk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Turns out that it was a problem behind the wrench. I failed to clean the area properly and as a result wasn't able to tighten the sensor down enough to engage properly. Quick cleaning of the area and one more remove and reinstall and we're good to go. Lesson learned.

Thanx again for your time and input folks.

OP
OP
Ron Seniuk

Ron Seniuk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You and I both, although I do have the lifter kit and an upgraded cam already in my cart from Rockauto.