Lisle 71500 exhaust manifold template

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shawn Burns

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This past weekend, I started the daunting task of fixing snapped exhaust manifold studs during a shorty header swap. I watched many videos beforehand. Fortunately, I purchased the lisle exhaust manifold template before doing the job. I only found one stud snapped, but it made that extraction a breeze. The instructions were complete and it made the job straight forward.

A buddy of mine who is a retired blackhawk crew chief marveled at the kit. He said, "it is pathetic that the aftermarket has to make something this nice to fix a problem like this. It goes to show that this is a common problem when such a nice tool is made. "

I wouldn't recommend most home mechanics to attempt the exhaust stud replacement job without this kit.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A welded on nut does the same job. No need for a kit.

Bandit517

That Trials Guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm all for having ways to do a repair in your driveway/garage without an expensive machine shop bill. But as @DILLIGAF said, weld a nut on the stud and spin it out. No need for a kit that way.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This past weekend, I started the daunting task of fixing snapped exhaust manifold studs during a shorty header swap. I watched many videos beforehand. Fortunately, I purchased the lisle exhaust manifold template before doing the job. I only found one stud snapped, but it made that extraction a breeze. The instructions were complete and it made the job straight forward.

A buddy of mine who is a retired blackhawk crew chief marveled at the kit. He said, "it is pathetic that the aftermarket has to make something this nice to fix a problem like this. It goes to show that this is a common problem when such a nice tool is made. "

I wouldn't recommend most home mechanics to attempt the exhaust stud replacement job without this kit.
sweet. ive got three welders and still would of used the template as you did. does arp have studs for those engines or what do you plan to use ?

OP
OP
S

Shawn Burns

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was prepared to weld a nut on to the stud, but I was dissapointed that the stud actually snapped off below the surface of the block. I felt the kit was the right choice at this point.

StateOfMind

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm doing my PS manifold bolts this weekend. I've got a welder, TIG, not MIG, and I don't like the idea of electrode in one hand, feeding wire with the other in such tight quarters, so I ordered the Lisle kit also. If it saves me even a 1/2 hour of time, it'll be completely worth it. Now if my welder was MIG, might be a different story. Bottom line, there is no single right method, and seeing as how there are so many copies of the Lisle template available, it seems there are a ton of people that prefer the drill.