locking tailgate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

17HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have a 2017 ram 1500 and the tailgate locks when I lock the doors
which is great. any way to disable it when I don't want it to lock.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
There is nothing selectable on the truck itself to disable/enable the tailgate lock.
You could unplug the actuator from inside the tailgate.
You could wire in a switch to turn the tailgate actuator off. There is just two wires that go-to it, wire the switch inline with one of them. If you use a low profile switch you could mount the switch through the side of the tailgate.
If your going to leave the tailgate unlocked, put a 44mm stainless steel gear clamp around the right side hinge. It will hinder someone from "borrowing" the tailgate.

Octane

Reaction score
I dont like that the cargo light activates on unlocking the truck either.And a locking tailgate is an annoyance when you want to sit on it when the truck is locked.I just don't like the way modern vehicles are made to light up everything you do...and those light timers. ughh. My 77 Chevy Scottsdale k10 does fine with the basics.

David Haston

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Only way to disable the lock is to manually disconnect it at the lock. Or do what I did. I put a waterproof switch under my bed light switch. I can flip that switch thus disabling the lock.

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
There is nothing selectable on the truck itself to disable/enable the tailgate lock.
You could unplug the actuator from inside the tailgate.
You could wire in a switch to turn the tailgate actuator off. There is just two wires that go-to it, wire the switch inline with one of them. If you use a low profile switch you could mount the switch through the side of the tailgate.
If your going to leave the tailgate unlocked, put a 44mm stainless steel gear clamp around the right side hinge. It will hinder someone from "borrowing" the tailgate.

That's exactly what I did on my old Ford, which did not have a locking tailgate. Hose clamp around the right side.

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
I dont like that the cargo light activates on unlocking the truck either.And a locking tailgate is an annoyance when you want to sit on it when the truck is locked.I just don't like the way modern vehicles are made to light up everything you do...and those light timers. ughh. My 77 Chevy Scottsdale k10 does fine with the basics.

You can get out, open the tailgate, jump on and crack your beers, then hit lock on the fob and have the cab locked, in case you pass out drunk in the bed of the truck.