Long crank when hot outside

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Justin Hovey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2010 1500 with the 5.7 . This issue has been going on for about 3 years and is a lot more prevalent in summer months. First start every morning is normal or it it's cool outside no issue so it doesn't seem like it's loosing prime. Most hot days It cranks for a long time and if it does start it acts like it misfires for a second. If I cycle the key it will usually start without issue,I have bypassed the fuel pump relay no change I don't believe it to be any engine sensors cause this is a new engine with all new sensors after the old one decided to rapidly disassemble itself. Has anyone had this issue and found an answer? Could the win module cause this?

DukeNoober

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had this same issue, my Ram is a 2015 with the 5.7. It would crank what seemed like forever and eventually start. But only if it was hot outside 95 or above. I just replaced my evap purge control valve and i have not had a problem since. I knew it wasnt a fuel pressure issue cause cold starts are no problem. Hope this helps.

2010RamBigHorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2010 1500 with the 5.7 . This issue has been going on for about 3 years and is a lot more prevalent in summer months. First start every morning is normal or it it's cool outside no issue so it doesn't seem like it's loosing prime. Most hot days It cranks for a long time and if it does start it acts like it misfires for a second. If I cycle the key it will usually start without issue,I have bypassed the fuel pump relay no change I don't believe it to be any engine sensors cause this is a new engine with all new sensors after the old one decided to rapidly disassemble itself. Has anyone had this issue and found an answer? Could the win module cause this?
I have the exact startup issues. I have no check engine codes present or pending. While chasing this issue, I have replaced my evap purge valve, Camshaft position sensor, crankshaft position sensor, MAF (or MAP, can't remember what they are on 5.7), and a few other random parts along the way. I also replaced my injectors with the most recent part number and replaced my 02 Sensors because I previously was getting P0420 and P0430 codes. I bought a fuel pump last week intending to replace it, but I am having a hard time wanting to sink the $250 plus 3 hours labor into troubleshooting this issue. If anyone happens to have a fix for this, I would be more than appreciative as I love my old truck but I am growing tired of this issue.

jason_mercredi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
ive had the same exact problem with my truck. (2016 ram 1500) 240,000km or 150000 miles. first start of the day, fires up no problem. if its off for 15 minutes or longer, it cranks over for 5-10 seconds then it starts. this has been on going for 2 years, and just today, my truck threw a fuel sensor fail warning at me. im replacing the fuel pump to see if it remedies my symptoms.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Go to Youtube and look up 'Ram Fuel pressure regulator' or 'long crank' and see if those match your problem. Seems like I remember the FPR being a common issue. Easy to replace if that's what it is.

LumberJakl

Reaction score
Ram Year
'17 Sport QC
Engine
5.7L 4x4
I have same issue on my 2017 (150k km / 93k miles). Cold start has no problem. Once I shut truck off for 15 min, or its already warn, it does it long crank for 5 seconds and struggles to start (But it always starts)
I've changed Fuel Pump assembly, CPS, MAP, etc... and no changes.
Mechanic tested all injectors and they are to specs.
Haven't tried the Evap Purge solenoid, so I will probably buy the $60 part and swap it out

2010RamBigHorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Has anyone managed to find a fix for this issue?

chaten

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just happened to me today. I put remand fuel injectors in last night and topped up with med grade 89 gas this morning, then all of a sudden this long crank started happening. never did it before. I took the fuel rail out with injectors and fuel supply still attached, pressured them up and now waiting to see if they leak. If not I'll put the old ones back in and mabey I can rule the injectors out. I can't see it being the med grade gas but hey it's 2023 and anything is possible

skeeter200c

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had same problem 2010 5.7 it was the Vapor Canister Purge Solenoid 16 dollars on Amazon it's next to the battery on the 2010 easy fix