Long start - 5.9L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99XJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9L
Friend owns a 2004 5.9L Cummins and it began working intermittently one day and she had to limp it home. Pulled the code, it was low voltage at the lift pump. Replaced it and everything was fine for about a week, but now it takes about 5+ seconds of cranking during a cold start before it will turn over. I have the full 2600-page factory service manual and didn't find anything about needing to bleed it. It even specifies: Servicing or replacing fuel system components will not require fuel system priming. I pulled the filter after it had been sitting for a bit, and the fuel level seems lower than normal when I service it for fluids and filters. Seems like it's needing to flood the bowl completely before having enough fuel to start?

It has a new in-tank pump that was installed this year, and I replaced the fuel filter during the lift pump swap. No other codes present. It seems to run fine now otherwise aside from the long starts, although she did mention a 'surge' when upshifting from 3rd to 4th once. Any ideas?