Long Tube and Full Exhaust combinations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DoubleJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looking to put a full exhaust on my '14 1500 5.7L 4x4. I'm wondering what kind of LT, Y, exhaust combinations people out there are running. I want to try to save some money by doing the install myself, and I'm not comfortable with welding, so I am hoping for some stuff that will all bolt and work together.
My plan is to eventually put a Whipple on it, so I'm thinking 1 7/8" headers to a 3" exhaust system. Wanna keep the cats, too.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Looking to put a full exhaust on my '14 1500 5.7L 4x4. I'm wondering what kind of LT, Y, exhaust combinations people out there are running. I want to try to save some money by doing the install myself, and I'm not comfortable with welding, so I am hoping for some stuff that will all bolt and work together.
My plan is to eventually put a Whipple on it, so I'm thinking 1 7/8" headers to a 3" exhaust system. Wanna keep the cats, too.

My old set-up was a set of 1 7/8" JBA's into their catless midpipe,which fed into a Magnaflow catback set-up with 2.5" tail pipes.My 4X4 ran low to mid 12's all day long at 3500+ DA and put down 450 to the tires.Everything was a bolt-on and I put it all together flat on my back on my driveway by myself.

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
My old set-up was a set of 1 7/8" JBA's into their catless midpipe,which fed into a Magnaflow catback set-up with 2.5" tail pipes.My 4X4 ran low to mid 12's all day long at 3500+ DA and put down 450 to the tires.Everything was a bolt-on and I put it all together flat on my back on my driveway by myself.

Which is almost the same setup I have on my 13 1500 Sport Crew Cab but I went with 2 1/4” duals from the Magnaflow back. I’m not getting quite what you put down but it’s definitely a nice setup with a nice tone.

James OBrien

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hermi
I'm lucky and have an excellent muffler/exhaust shop that doesn't charge an arm and a leg you can split the difference and do half the work yourself then have it finished at a shop. There are some good shops out there that you can get good setups relatively inexpensive. I did ARH LT's (catless) and was able to bolt on the stock exhaust after some cutting, then take it to the shop to do the rest. In my case I went with some flowmaster knockoffs, but they have good performance mufflers that aren't crazy in cost. You could probably run a decent muffler with install for less than $200 bucks and do a 1 in 2 out setup to keep your existing dual exhaust.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
We HIGHLY recommend the American Racing Headers (ARH). They have the best fitment and quality, while performing very well! They are the best headers for the RAM with out a doubt. Most of the other brands have been hit or miss with fitment no pun intended. We have several other brands to offer as well if you want a less expensive option.

For a catback we have tons of quality options. My vote is Borla as it sounds the best IMO for the 5.7 Hemi.

Message me for a quote and more info if interested.

OP
OP
DoubleJ

DoubleJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I appreciate all the recommendations. I'm leaning towards ARH matched with Borla or Magnaflow.
I'm curious, does anyone run aFe?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I appreciate all the recommendations. I'm leaning towards ARH matched with Borla or Magnaflow.
I'm curious, does anyone run aFe?

Get a price on Stainless Works headers to from Nick,there's a few guys who've pulled their ARH's and replaced them with Stainless Works headers.SW's headers are an equal length header.If they are roughly the same price as ARH's,i'd personally go for the Stainless Works just because they are equal length primaries

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Stainless Works is a great set up too. If you really wanna get a unique set up that will flow more than any other BOLT ON system we can set you up with the SW LT headers with their performance connect (x-pipe) then go with their catback with performance connect as well to match it up.

bfill_rebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Stainless Works is a great set up too. If you really wanna get a unique set up that will flow more than any other BOLT ON system we can set you up with the SW LT headers with their performance connect (x-pipe) then go with their catback with performance connect as well to match it up.

If I was able to spend someone else’s money or have the means to do so myself I would go this route. That’s what I posted the video above. I really like the sound of the headers and performance connect catbacks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
Kooks 2” primary long tubes probably flow pretty well.

Midnight Storm

One Badass Ram
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ve got to hear that in action!

ilovemyramlaremie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I’ve been contemplating the AHR headers, but I just can’t justify spending that kind of money for the supposedly noticeable power gain. So my question is to those that have installed the long tube headers 1, how much power/ HP you honestly gotten without a tune? 2, to optimize the full potential of the headers, should a tune be done? And how much power you gotten with the combo of the headers and tune. Thanks in advance gentlemen

Midnight Storm

One Badass Ram
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ve been contemplating the AHR headers, but I just can’t justify spending that kind of money for the supposedly noticeable power gain. So my question is to those that have installed the long tube headers 1, how much power/ HP you honestly gotten without a tune? 2, to optimize the full potential of the headers, should a tune be done? And how much power you gotten with the combo of the headers and tune. Thanks in advance gentlemen
You need a tune with long tube headers. If you do a jay Greene or hemifever tune with long tubes, you’ll feel it alright!

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

With a custom tune and JBA long tubes my truck went from 14.1's down to mid 13's ,with a best of 13.49.I was running just a canned Diablo tune with stock manifolds,and how much can be attributed to the custom dyno tune or the headers is a guess,but combined they made a noticeable difference in my little RCSB 4X4

Last edited:

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

You will need a tune for Long Tube Headers to make sure your AFR is correct and to make the most of the new power. It will be a gain of power you can feel. As you can see one member gained over half a second in the quarter with headers and a tune! That is a pretty substantial gain!!