Long Tube Headers project start to finish

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Oh Jesus... What if I have a ton of extensions, swivels, etc.. you think I can manage with the stock tube?
Yup it's just a touch harder to re-install,but lots of guys have made the OEM dipstick work. It might make you want to strangle one or 2 engineers,but if you stick it back in,before bolting the header up tight,you can usually man handle it back in,then tweak/bend it slightly so it's not touching or rubbing on the header. You're idea of wrapping the tube itself is a good idea if it'll still go in between the primary tubes.

ScLeCo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Supercharged 426
Getting that ******* tube out is a *****. I can't even imagine putting it back.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Getting that ******* tube out is a *****. I can't even imagine putting it back.

On 4X4's it's a real joy,gotta love the bean counter that let that long bolt go through,lol. If the bolt was a 1/4" shorter it'd come out easily,but no it's gotta be just long enough to not have enough clearance to actually be removable. I've cut the bolt with a slim zip disc and a small angled die grinder ,then touched up the threads and re-used it,but it adds probably close to 1/2 an hour to a job that should take less then a minute,aarrgghhh,lol.

OP
OP
Ramitiner

Ramitiner

U.S. ARMY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
On 4X4's it's a real joy,gotta love the bean counter that let that long bolt go through,lol. If the bolt was a 1/4" shorter it'd come out easily,but no it's gotta be just long enough to not have enough clearance to actually be removable. I've cut the bolt with a slim zip disc and a small angled die grinder ,then touched up the threads and re-used it,but it adds probably close to 1/2 an hour to a job that should take less then a minute,aarrgghhh,lol.
Can you show me a pic of this bolt?

OP
OP
Ramitiner

Ramitiner

U.S. ARMY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The wrap looks cool. If it weren’t for the watery beer I would’ve thought you were a Canadian. I wrap my hockey sticks the same way!
No offence @Pull Ya i drink 7% beer

When you did an overnight double and haven't slept but you have to play with new toys... You drink the watery beer instead of the ***. Lol

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
You’ve already shown patience with wrapping and prepping, confidence diving in is all that is left along with a little adversity!

VB712

Maxi_built
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When I did mine, I cut the lower bracket for the dipstick tube. I reused my factory dipstick and just bent it so that it won’t touch the header. Wasn’t bad reinstalling the tube at all. Just make sure the dipstick tube doesn’t touch the header at all or you will get false knock. Also I have had mine on for over a year now with the lower dipstick tube bracket cut and I have had zero issue.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The factory dipstick tube is pretty easy to bend, I just rerouted it.

James OBrien

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hermi
When I did mine, I cut the lower bracket for the dipstick tube. I reused my factory dipstick and just bent it so that it won’t touch the header. Wasn’t bad reinstalling the tube at all. Just make sure the dipstick tube doesn’t touch the header at all or you will get false knock. Also I have had mine on for over a year now with the lower dipstick tube bracket cut and I have had zero issue.

I pretty much did the same thing, works great.

OP
OP
Ramitiner

Ramitiner

U.S. ARMY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What freaking material is that tube made out of that it can bend like that without breaking? You guys used the ARH headers as well?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Can you show me a pic of this bolt?

When you unbolt the dipstick tube,you'll run into it,and know which bolt we're talking about,lol. It's the bottom bolt /bracket down towards the oilpan.On a 4X4 it's usually to long to actually remove,so you're either faced with cutting the bracket or the bolt. If you have a small angled air die grinder and a slim zip /cut-off disc you should be able to back the bolt out till it won't back out anymore,pry the dipstick/bracket out as far as you can,then get in behind the bracket with the cut-off disc and cut the bolt,pull it out and clean up the end of it on a bench grinder and you should be able to re-use it. The other option is cut the bracket off the dipstick and don't worry about it,lol

OP
OP
Ramitiner

Ramitiner

U.S. ARMY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When you unbolt the dipstick tube,you'll run into it,and know which bolt we're talking about,lol. It's the bottom bolt /bracket down towards the oilpan.On a 4X4 it's usually to long to actually remove,so you're either faced with cutting the bracket or the bolt. If you have a small angled air die grinder and a slim zip /cut-off disc you should be able to back the bolt out till it won't back out anymore,pry the dipstick/bracket out as far as you can,then get in behind the bracket with the cut-off disc and cut the bolt,pull it out and clean up the end of it on a bench grinder and you should be able to re-use it. The other option is cut the bracket off the dipstick and don't worry about it,lol
hmmm. would a dremmel with a cut off disk do it? im not reusing those bolts so Ill cut the **** out of it.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
hmmm. would a dremmel with a cut off disk do it? im not reusing those bolts so Ill cut the **** out of it.

If you have a few Dremel cut-off disc's and some patience a Dremel will work.