Long Tube Headers project start to finish

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Ramitiner

Ramitiner

U.S. ARMY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok so I got more header wrap and completed 1 header... This **** was a pita but atleast I know how to tackle the next one. This one came out like **** but I'm not redoing it...

KIMG0592.JPG

KIMG0593.JPG

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
OP
OP
Ramitiner

Ramitiner

U.S. ARMY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I swear, if I didn't believe it would help, id just spit on it and throw them in right out of the box... what a pita! it gets to a point where you cant even pretend to measure out how much you need... I literally unrolled about 80' of wrap and threaded it like that on the 2nd one (not completed)... took forever but I kept under estimating on the last one which is why it has so many ******** ties... finished an inch too short? damn it! two more ties! I'm glad I got the 100 pack of ties for $10 otherwise id be really livid paying $10 for 10 of them from dei or whatever they cost.

OP
OP
Ramitiner

Ramitiner

U.S. ARMY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Your header wrap looks good. I hate wrapping headers. I just send my headers to swain tech coatings now.
it really is a ridiculous pain in the ass and time consuming. swaintech was my top choice but after reading their site and their inability to offer a warranty due to the fact that since metal expands when its hot and their coating may not expand as much and therefore crack, I just decided against it... thinking back I figure that my headers would probably never get that hot as Im not racing all day and I probably would be safe... all in all id say this (when complete) would have taken me a combined 5-6 hours of labor and its freaking messy. That's almost $700 in overtime that I could've made and just paid for the damn coating and transport..lol

ScLeCo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Supercharged 426
I've had my Evo X hot side swaintech coated for 6 years and it's holding up just fine.
There is no way your headers are going to expand and contract more than a turbo manifold.
That said, I just wrapped my headers. Only took me an hour each side though...

OP
OP
Ramitiner

Ramitiner

U.S. ARMY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've had my Evo X hot side swaintech coated for 6 years and it's holding up just fine.
There is no way your headers are going to expand and contract more than a turbo manifold.
That said, I just wrapped my headers. Only took me an hour each side though...
an hr each side????? da fuq??? next time just come over for pizza and beer and Ill put you to work! lol

ScLeCo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Supercharged 426
an hr each side????? da fuq??? next time just come over for pizza and beer and Ill put you to work! lol
Yeah I don't know what you're talking about 4-5 hours...You're wrapping headers, it's not some elaborate art project...
;)

seabrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black 2018 Night
Engine
5.7 3.92 anti slip
it really is a ridiculous pain in the ass and time consuming. swaintech was my top choice but after reading their site and their inability to offer a warranty due to the fact that since metal expands when its hot and their coating may not expand as much and therefore crack, I just decided against it... thinking back I figure that my headers would probably never get that hot as Im not racing all day and I probably would be safe... all in all id say this (when complete) would have taken me a combined 5-6 hours of labor and its freaking messy. That's almost $700 in overtime that I could've made and just paid for the damn coating and transport..lol
lol that’s the way I look at things hmmm I’ll just work over a few hours and pay someone else to do it- did that on my last LT install and I have to say I didn’t miss installing them at bit lol

OP
OP
Ramitiner

Ramitiner

U.S. ARMY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah I don't know what you're talking about 4-5 hours...You're wrapping headers, it's not some elaborate art project...
;)
It is for me! I couldn't get the damn measurement going once I got to the actual headers so I wasted a ton of time cutting, wrapping, uninstalling, re wrapping... btw, im counting the time it took to strip them with acetone, coat them with silicone and for it to dry... but still, that was only about 2hrs max

OP
OP
Ramitiner

Ramitiner

U.S. ARMY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
lol that’s the way I look at things hmmm I’ll just work over a few hours and pay someone else to do it- did that on my last LT install and I have to say I didn’t miss installing them at bit lol
my brother thinks like that... it makes sense but I can never bring myself to doing it... had to change the oil sending unit on my wife's 3.6 avenger... mechanic quoted me $450... took me 7 hours! ***** could've made over $300 over cost in that time!

seabrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black 2018 Night
Engine
5.7 3.92 anti slip
my brother thinks like that... it makes sense but I can never bring myself to doing it... had to change the oil sending unit on my wife's 3.6 avenger... mechanic quoted me $450... took me 7 hours! ***** could've made over $300 over cost in that time!
Yep now I watch tube before I do anything and the older I get the more I’m like yea **** that I’m not doin that haaaaa

seabrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black 2018 Night
Engine
5.7 3.92 anti slip
Oh forgot to say- man you did a awesome job on the wrap!!!!

OP
OP
Ramitiner

Ramitiner

U.S. ARMY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yep now I watch tube before I do anything and the older I get the more I’m like yea **** that I’m not doin that haaaaa
Bro... you have no idea how much im dreading this header install... however, if I don't do it im going to be sick thinking about how I should've done it... its a freaking mental illness... and thanks!

seabrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black 2018 Night
Engine
5.7 3.92 anti slip
Bro... you have no idea how much im dreading this header install... however, if I don't do it im going to be sick thinking about how I should've done it... its a freaking mental illness... and thanks!
Oh I can TOTALLY imagine haaa!!!! I’ve been way too deep into stuff before and I was like **** why do I start this lol

it’ll b ok bro- u got a post started anyways so now u have to do it haaa EVERYBODYS WATCHING no pressure