2017 6.4 HEMI 3500 SLT wont start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dwhite

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I was up on winter road way up north for 5 days truck ran fine whole time (very cold) like -40 plus wind last day there truck would not start thought it was frozen so boosted no start. came back week later with a diesel heater no start, got it back to town on a trailer it was flooded bad from all the attempted starts. I changed the oil multiple times put new plugs in it changed two of the ignitor coils as they were bad changed the rest of the tubes on the ignitor coils still with no luck. checked all my fuses all appear to be good. it has almost a full tank of gas, i even put two of the small bottles of gas line antifreeze into the tank thinking maybe it had a bit of water or moisture in the fuel from my trip. i recleaned the plugs and no luck any start attempts are done with foot to the floor right now to avoid any further flooding. ill be checking compression today first two i checked were good. oh and i even tried putting a little bit of oil into each one then attempting to start still no luck. my neighbor works for the local dealership and was able to bring the computer from the shop over hooked it up and not a single code coming up. someone help me

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I would check the fuel pump. Should be able to hear it come on when you turn the truck to run. Check and see if you have fuel pressure.

White six four

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It won't start with the gas pedal fully to the floor. It's a "clear flood" mode that sometimes people use before they actually start/run their trucks to build oil pressure. Do not hold the pedal to the floor if you want it start/run.

OP
OP
D

dwhite

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
so like half or fluttering the pedal or just not at all i guess i am kind of gun shy after flooding it when i was up on the winter road

OP
OP
D

dwhite

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
getting lots of fuel that does not seem to be an issue

OP
OP
D

dwhite

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
tried to start without foot to the floor after checking thecompression it fired went to start then just stopped and then wont try to start again

OP
OP
D

dwhite

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
It won't start with the gas pedal fully to the floor. It's a "clear flood" mode that sometimes people use before they actually start/run their trucks to build oil pressure. Do not hold the pedal to the floor if you want it start/run.
i tried to start without the foot to the floor it went to start then just stopped and then when tried to start again it wont fire and try to start just turns over check all cylinders this morning and all between 170 and 185 except one at 125

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
i tried to start without the foot to the floor it went to start then just stopped and then when tried to start again it wont fire and try to start just turns over check all cylinders this morning and all between 170 and 185 except one at 125
Are you doing this in a heated shop or outside,if outside plug the block heater in,so you get some heat in the engine,even if it's only 0C . I'd be investigating that cylinder that's way down on compression.It won't start worth a crap if the camshaft is wore out,and that might be one of your issues

OP
OP
D

dwhite

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Are you doing this in a heated shop or outside,if outside plug the block heater in,so you get some heat in the engine,even if it's only 0C . I'd be investigating that cylinder that's way down on compression.It won't start worth a crap if the camshaft is wore out,and that might be one of your issues
outside but weather was warm and i had a parachute over the truck with a diesel heater and trunk going right to the engine so it was warm

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
outside but weather was warm and i had a parachute over the truck with a diesel heater and trunk going right to the engine so it was warm
You got issues then.I'd start by pulling the valve covers and checking rocker arm movement,especially on the cylinder that's off from the other cylinders.