Looking At Ordering a 2023 3500 Laramie.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamGuy110

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 2500
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I'm trying to decide between the 68rfe or a the Aisin. My previous Rams all had the 68rfe, while I found it fine for daily driving, towing it seemed like it lacked power on the freeway when I needed to acccelerate and my 22' Cummins with the 68rfe, had some weird shifting issues which could not be diagnosed. I figure this is probably my last diesel truck that I would try something different.

I tow for my job, a 24' enclosed trailer. Its an older Featherlite so its noticeably heavier than the new ones. I squat about two inches no matter what truck I have with it. I'm around 10,000-12,000 pounds of weight and tow 2-4 times per week. Thoughts?

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Look at the RAM Cummins forum, there is no shortage of Aisin complaints. If you are just looking for the additional power, forget it, torque management holds it back.

I've got the 68RFE in my 2015 3500 and tow close to 26K GCWR, I have zero complaints but it is a 2015 MY and they got it right.

I initially plan to replace the 2015 with a new one as soon as the MaxCare runs out in a couple of months. The MSRPs scared me away from that idea, I'll hang on to the 2015 and cross my fingers. It has been a problem-free truck so far.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
The Aisin AS69 is very durable, except for the current snap ring issue that seems to be growing toward a recall. Currently it's a TSB Fix-As-Fail.

If shift quality and driveability is on your mind, then I can honestly say you will hate the Aisin. It is a clanging banging stumblebum, with more quirks than you can shake a stick at. I put 68K miles on my '19 dually until it burned down and was totalled. I was wishing and hoping the rumors of the ZF Powerline truck trans would materialize, but they haven't.

After 20 years of preaching the Cummins gospel, I am looking elsewhere, and I hate to say that.

On Edit:
Before anyone chimes in with, "It's not a Cadillac", etc, etc., etc., I cut my teeth driving pickups and medium duties with no power steering, etc. I am no stranger to actual trucks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RamGuy110

RamGuy110

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 2500
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Thanks. I probably will stick with the 68rfe mainly for mpg reasons. Leaning towards a 3500 Limited with the smaller screen.

I was just told that the deployable bed step, adaptive steering and sunroof are all on restriction.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Thanks. I probably will stick with the 68rfe mainly for mpg reasons. Leaning towards a 3500 Limited with the smaller screen.

I was just told that the deployable bed step, adaptive steering and sunroof are all on restriction.
You could try having the VB upgraded to see if that helps, have heard of others who did so an were happy..

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I went Aisin in my '17 and again in my '20. I also went 4:10 in both.
If you are dragging that weight around constantly, I would do the same.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I tow for my job, a 24' enclosed trailer. Its an older Featherlite so its noticeably heavier than the new ones. I squat about two inches no matter what truck I have with it. I'm around 10,000-12,000 pounds of weight and tow 2-4 times per week. Thoughts?
Get the rear air leveling system, it works nicely and keeps you level. I have it on my 2015 and would order it again.

OP
OP
RamGuy110

RamGuy110

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 2500
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Get the rear air leveling system, it works nicely and keeps you level. I have it on my 2015 and would order it again.
I had it on my dually a couple of years ago. It was nice.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
If shift quality and driveability is on your mind, then I can honestly say you will hate the Aisin.
Have to wonder if Ram revised the Aisin transmission tuning for the '22 model year. Put 1K miles on a buddies 3500 CTD HO and the truck shifted nice whether I had the 9K lbs trailer hooked up or not. You would notice the shifts but they were not harsh or erratic. The most annoying thing was driving unloaded, you could feel every crack in the road.