Looking at buying a 3500 opinions/experiences please!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rkane171

Reaction score
I’m looking to buy a 2019 ram 3500 6.7 Cummins 100k on it from a dealer, my main questions are.
Reliability?
How much is fair price?
Which trans is better in it?
common issues?
And just over all general things I should look at before I pull the trigger on it! Thanks in advance!!!!!

Gary Hogan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
See if the recall for the cp4 high pressure pump has been done. I have 2019 3500 with 46k miles and have had issues with the dpf and frequently regenerating. I finally deleted it, tired of the dealer and Chrysler.

Billet Bee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 HOHD
I’m looking to buy a 2019 ram 3500 6.7 Cummins 100k on it from a dealer, my main questions are.
Reliability?
How much is fair price?
common issues?
And just over all general things I should look at before I pull the trigger on it! Thanks in advance!!!!!
Do you tow any heavy trailers?
How heavy of a trailer do you tow?
How often do you tow the trailer?
Does the truck your looking at have the rfe or aisin trans?

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
The 2019 and 2020 models had a lot of recalls. Especially the fuel pump on the cummins. If that wasnt done, the failure of that pump could cost upwards of $10k. I would really make sure all those were done.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Reliability?
How much is fair price?
common issues?
I'm assuming you are getting a one-ton for pulling better than 17K pounds. The Cummins comes in two configurations, standard output with the 68RFE transmission and the high output with the Aisin transmission. I guess I would take the vehicle with the engine/transmission combo it has as long as it meets your needs.

If I were buying this, the first thing I would want to see are the service records and as mentioned, if all recalls were performed.

Used vehicle pricing is falling from what I'm reading and used vehicle prices are typically regional. Figuring out its value isn't going to be easy. Most likely your dealer paid more for the truck than its current market value. I'm assuming Canada's used car market parallels ours.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
The 2019 and 2020 models had a lot of recalls. Especially the fuel pump on the cummins. If that wasnt done, the failure of that pump could cost upwards of $10k. I would really make sure all those were done.
Interesting that you say "a lot of recalls".
My 2020 HO had only two recalls.
One to replace the HPFP which was/is being done on all Rams and Jeeps with a CP4 pump. And, a dealer cannot resale one until the pump has been replaced.
The second was for the tailgate latch which consisted of a visual inspection to see if the tailgate was aligned properly.

To Rkane171, BossHogg gave you good advice.
To add, the 6.7 Cummins is probably the most reliable diesel available. The Aisin Trenny is the strongest available. The 68 tranny is excellent but needs programming if a tune is employed.

Last edited:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Cummins comes in two configurations, standard output with the 68RFE transmission and the high output with the Aisin transmission
Easy way to spot the difference is the transmission dipstick tube. The 68RFE is on the passenger side, the Asian is on the driver side

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
My 2022 2500 has had 5 recalls so far. Obviously some of these are VIN dependant. My last Gen4 truck had 14 in 8 years.