Looking for 1/2 impact wrench

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Team Horner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I’ve had my DeWalt since December and it doesn’t skip a beat. I have a couple 6aH batteries for it that seems to never die.

Cableman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Each company has a tool that excels, some more then others. Makita just launched the 40v 1 battery line which i read is topping the charts, 10" circular saw!

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
I originally bought 18v DeWalt drills/impacts. I have an older 1/2inch DeWalt that runs on the 18v NiCad batteries. Bought some more DeWalt tools that use the 20v Li batteries and converted the 18v tools with the 20v battery adapters. Still have to buy the adapter for the 1/2 inch impact. Heavy, but it works. Supposed to have 300 ft lbs of torque...used it several times for different things.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Yeah, whatever your lineup is just stick with that, I went with dewalt 20's, but my friends use Milwaukee, I can easily say I regret the dewy's. Not that dewy is bad, but Milwaukee is just that much better even at 18. I'm not sure what the difference is, maybe gearing, maybe stator's, dunno, but it is a thing this I am sure of.
Dewys 20v is the same voltage as Milwaukee 18v. They just rate their battery at peak voltage and Milwaukee rates them like normal. Kind of like how most 12v car batteries are closer to 13v when you meter them charged.

Phillyrube

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Using the Ryobi 1/2" battery. Havent had a nut it couldnt crack. Keep it in the truck just in case. I just happen to have a bunch of batteries for that system.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
On a budget that dewalt will be your best bet of the group if you want other power tools and to be able to use the battery for other tools. The Milwaukee is a beast and what I have, but the beast one is a lot more money that you may not need to spend.
I have that DeWalt model, it does the job. Full disclosure, I bought it because I had a bunch of DeWalt tools with that battery already. I was happily surprised that it was as good as it is.

Reactions: BWL

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have that DeWalt model, it does the job. Full disclosure, I bought it because I had a bunch of DeWalt tools with that battery already. I was happily surprised that it was as good as it is.
Same reason my mid torque one is a Ryobi. Got one discounted no box bare tool for 50 bucks. Paired to a 4ah lithium it does most jobs.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I have the Ridgid 1/2 " brushless impact. 620 ft lbs breakaway torque. $159 for the kit with battery & charger. And they have a free lifetime service agreement on impact, battery, & charger as long as you register it within 90 days of purchase. You must buy it from Home Depot ( not amazon or other sellers) for the service agreement.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-...-Ah-Battery-and-Charger-R86011KSB2N/316087389

HandyCruiser

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi (no e-Torque)
I have an older Craftsman 19.2 volt 1/2" impact wrench. With the newer lithium batteries, it's stronger than my air impact.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have an older Craftsman 19.2 volt 1/2" impact wrench. With the newer lithium batteries, it's stronger than my air impact.
I noticed that with my old blue ryobi tools. Bought a couple lithium batteries to replace the dead nicads of the day when they were new and they became completely different animals. What's that thing Tim Taylor used to say?

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Pick 4 brands, with Batteries that can be run in several tools
ie:
1/2" impact
grinder
sawsall
cut off saw

1 brand is the Milwaukee M18 Fuel, the batteries can easily be switched from one tool to the next

Check with some good brands of your choice
Milwaukee, Dewalt, Ryobi, Ridgid, etc.

I buy a tool that i need, but i buy TWO Batteries & a charger that will put a charge on 1 or 2 batteries at a time

The next week or month later, when another tool is on special that i will use

doing it that way, i end up with a set of the same brand tools that use the same battery

If i had done it that back in the '80s & 90's
for one, i would have more money in my wallet & they would look better hanging on the garage wall

I have Air Compressor, ( 60 gallon ), & air tools
several corded power tools
too many brands of battery powered tools

I recently sold 2 complete sets of oxy acetylene kits, a mid size MIG Welder & a Miller Heli-arc
My neighbor who was a descent welder moved to Las Vegas where work was easier to find

I used to buy American cars of the 1940s up to 1990s that were inoperable & fix them up
He worked on just about anything, including foreign vehicles & small engines

Last edited:

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If your already invested in one battery platform, I would stick with that, if not, look around and see what you like.

Phillyrube

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pick 4 brands, with Batteries that can be run in several tools
ie:
1/2" impact
grinder
sawsall
cut off saw

1 brand is the Milwaukee M18 Fuel, the batteries can easily be switched from one tool to the next

Check with some good brands of your choice
Milwaukee, Dewalt, Ryobi, Ridgid, etc.

I buy a tool that i need, but i buy TWO Batteries & a charger that will put a charge on 1 or 2 batteries at a time

The next week or month later, when another tool is on special that i will use

doing it that way, i end up with a set of the same brand tools that use the same battery

If i had done it that back in the '80s & 90's
for one, i would have more money in my wallet & they would look better hanging on the garage wall

I have Air Compressor, ( 60 gallon ), & air tools
several corded power tools
too many brands of battery powered tools

I recently sold 2 complete sets of oxy acetylene kits
My neighbor who was a descent welder moved to Las Vegas where work was easier to find

I used to buy American cars of the 1940s up to 1990s that were inoperable & fix them up
He worked on just about anything, including foreign vehicles & small engines
I had the blue Ryobi tools for years. The drill died so I got a Milwaukee drill and driver set for Christmas. Got a couple new Ryobi batteries when I bought a hedge trimmer, so I just kept adding Ryobi. I also found an adapter so I can use the M18 batteries in the Ryobi.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I had the blue Ryobi tools for years. The drill died so I got a Milwaukee drill and driver set for Christmas. Got a couple new Ryobi batteries when I bought a hedge trimmer, so I just kept adding Ryobi. I also found an adapter so I can use the M18 batteries in the Ryobi.
I threw a Ryobi battery in my nieces power wheels. Going from 12v to 18v woke it right up.

Fergusontd

FTD
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought a Dewalt electric impact from Lowes....didn't have enough power to bliw your nose! Returned it and bought the Kolbolt, really works great!

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
"1st time I've heard about a power wheels getting a tune"

I watch a lot of auto repair TV
*******' Rides, Garage Squad, Texas Metal, Fathom Works, etc.
On one of that type shows, i believe that it was Garage Squad, they had several go carts & Power Wheels
the customer had a teenage son that had a Power Wheels.
All of them had to race down a driveway & go around a tire, then back to the start.
The teenager was still going around the tire & everyone else was finished
The guy that loves to work on Mopars, went into the garage with the teens power wheels toy,
They raced again & the teen left everyone in the dust & did a Victory Spin at the finish line !!
LOL, what have they been drinking ?

Reactions: BWL

Georgiasport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the Milwaukee mid torque and love it. Perfect size and torque for most things you may need to do to your rig.