Looking for 1/2 impact wrench

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stickseler

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I buy Dewalt because thats the batteries I have, unless you have a Lowe’s gift card, check Amazon, the dewalt is 299. They also have a 2 battery for 309

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Went to Lowes yesterday to check couple of impact wrenches as i need one that run on batteries and have cojones to take on anything :) and came up with a list with these 3:

View attachment 4645832021-07-11_08-23-30 by RAM RSM, on Flickr

View attachment 4645842021-07-11_08-23-52 by RAM RSM, on Flickr

View attachment 4645852021-07-11_08-23-58 by RAM RSM, on Flickr

For those of you with experience in this field, Are they all good? should i go for the Dewalt ?
The Flex one is damn heavy and i don't think i've seen this brand until know. i'm a home hobbyst lol so i won't be making a living out opf the tool but i'm really looking for a impact wrench with lots of guevos and batteries that last.

Thanks a lot.
Have you decided on one?
Any of the 3 you selected are good. Bottom line is for home use, I would select the lowest cost as all 3 are good. I personally have Ridgid brushless hammer drill, impact driver (1/4"), impact gun (1/2", 620 ft lb) & jig saw. All work great & I have the lifetime service agreement on them & the batteries / chargers which is the thing that wears out most on any power tool. I also have Kobalt brushless 3/8 rachet and 1 handed reciprocating saw & 12" chain saw ( all 24v versions) that work great.

OP
OP
ram1500rsm

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looking into the Milwaukee line as well, as suggested the M18 Mid torque one seems plenty for what i'll use it, and seems to be lightweight too. Can the milkwakee mid torque take our rear control arms with ease ? trying to think those would be the heavier nuts, that and maybe the axelnut on the hub ? the Bolts/nuts on my Jeep don't need that much torque as some of the ones in my RAM, so the mid torque sounds better and better :)

Bandit517

That Trials Guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
We've got DeWalt stuff here at work, I've got Ridgid stuff at home. Both sets seem to work for what they need to do. Batteries last long enough to do most any job. Depending on how much you're working the tools they last multiple days in the garage. Many people swear by Milwaukee and I've used them before and can say they're definitely the top dog for impacts in my opinion. If you're starting from scratch, I would buy as much as you can budget, but look into what other tools they offer to build a full kit in the future. I started with a drill and 1/4" impact driver, and since then bought 1/2" impact, reciprocating saw, angle grinder and jobsite radio. They also offer a hybrid fan that runs on battery or 110 volt. Which is nice for taking on a job where stinging a cord would be annoying.

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Ecodiesel crewcab old/ now 2019 Laramie Hemi
Engine
eco diesel old / now Hemi missing the eco's mileage
I vote for the Milwaukee, mine has broken most every thing loose that I have gotten it on.
If it doesn't turn or break them it's time for a bunch of heat.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Many people swear by Milwaukee and I've used them before and can say they're definitely the top dog for impacts in my opinion.
Actually, they are not. The IR I mentioned earlier is stronger. I have several brands of battery tools around. Ridgid, Dewalt, Makita and Ingersoll Rand. I get that having one battery that will fit all the tools you have would be a handy, but I sure would not base my buying decision on it. I'd pick the best tool for the job.

Matt Franklin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know this is a week old, but I can't help noticing that the Flex unit above quotes its torque in in-lbs. You might want to verify that is a typo and the actual torque is in ft-lbs if you are considering that one.

Edited to add, your original post said you were looking for one to take on anything, in my experience, nothing matches the Milwaukee. I bought a different brand and have been happy with if for my needs, but the high torque Milwaukee is where its at if you absolutely got to have the best tool available. Disclaimer: I haven't tried the IR mentioned above.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Disclaimer: I haven't tried the IR mentioned above.
Here's a couple of videos:

WireEd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Flex is a new lowes brand and does very well against the others watching some of those tool guys online.
I just picked up a makita, 430lbs of break away torque, plenty for most home stuff and very light. Its takes lugnuts off with ease and drives lags no problem.
If your shopping lowes maybe find a brushless dewalt tool only with lower torque then the one above, pick up a drill driver combo and then you'll have a charger and batteries for all.
X2 on the makita. I have two and they are blast proof. Great battery life as well

jshillin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I vote for the Milwaukee, mine has broken most every thing loose that I have gotten it on.
If it doesn't turn or break them it's time for a bunch of heat.
Yep, Milwaukee is the way to go. An M18 High Torque is a beast and will destroy the others.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yep, Milwaukee is the way to go. An M18 High Torque is a beast and will destroy the others.

A friend has a 1/2 Dewalt Flex or whatever garbage they name it... He ended up Borrowing my Milwaukee 1/2 to put his lift on his 2500... hahahahaha

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ridgid has a high torque impact also - specs are almost identical to Milwaukee (they are made by the same company).
I have a 1/2" Ridgid mid torque, Ridgid 3/8 sub compact and a Ryobi 3/8 compact impact - as far as impacts go.

Any of those seem to do most anything I need done when matching the tool for the job. Ie.- not removing a pinion nut with a 3/8 impact.

Hard to beat - for $159

Last edited:

Turbo67

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2007
Engine
5.7, 5.9
check out the torque test channel on youtube, lots of good info on impacts, i personally use Milwaukee and like it

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
It was solely a curiosity purchase for me, but I recently mail ordered a 20V lithium ion, brushless 1/2" impact off Walmart. It looks just like the Ziss brand if you youtube it, but there's no name label on it. It comes with a 22mm lugnut socket oddly enough and it will zip through Ram 1500 lugnuts torqued to ~130ft-lbs like nothing.

It came with one battery, a charger, the 22mm socket, belt clip and a case. I got it for $38. $42 all in. Supposedly it's compatible with Makita batteries.

nch-12-Brushless-Wrench-Driver-800Nm-w-20V-Battery.jpg

Last edited:

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'll be using it in my garage. They didn't have Milwaukee.
I haven't used any of those others but really, when it just comes down to everyday garage use, it probably doesn't matter a whole lot what you get as they'll all probably swerve you well for what you need them for. Since I'm a Dewalt fan and have been using their tools for over a decade and a half, I choose Dewalt for everything because they've never let me down and they, like Makita, Milwaukee, Porter Cable and Ryobi to name some, they have a lot of other different tools that interchange with the same battery as long as its pretty much just the same voltage. Sure, some batteries- even though they are of the same voltage, have different amp draws that sometimes require different chargers and batteries but like in my case- my drill, angle grinder, 1/4 drive impact, 1/2 drive impact and circular saw all use the same batteries and the same chargers.

WadXpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
Cordless we use Milwaukee at work and they have some balls and last. 18v Fuel Milwaukee impact would be my vote plus they have like 150 other tools that work with the batteries

savage_46

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 swapped
Got a good deal on my Milwaukee high torque with 5.0. Instantly retired my air gun. Haven't come across something it won't loosen.