Looking for 1/2 impact wrench

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nitroman78

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum
Went to Lowes yesterday to check couple of impact wrenches as i need one that run on batteries and have cojones to take on anything :) and came up with a list with these 3:

View attachment 4645832021-07-11_08-23-30 by RAM RSM, on Flickr

View attachment 4645842021-07-11_08-23-52 by RAM RSM, on Flickr

View attachment 4645852021-07-11_08-23-58 by RAM RSM, on Flickr

For those of you with experience in this field, Are they all good? should i go for the Dewalt ?
The Flex one is damn heavy and i don't think i've seen this brand until know. i'm a home hobbyst lol so i won't be making a living out opf the tool but i'm really looking for a impact wrench with lots of guevos and batteries that last.

Thanks a lot.
Listen, i know snap on, Milwaukee and all those big names are calling you. But hear me out, at home depot they sell a Ryobi 1/2” dr impact wrench. At the time it was a promotion for 99$ i got an 18V hi cap gun..1 4ah battery and a charger, I laughed as I bought it, get hone charge it up and proceeded to remove my back bumper on my 99…original bumper, bolts, and rust including …it didn’t even hesitate. I looked at the gun as if it were posessed by the snap on gods. Low amd behold it continues to surprise me daily. I have since purchased 3 more battery at 89-109$ each amd also picked up this flash light that’s equivalent to a light house keeping ships feom running ashore for 50$ …everyone uas preference. I am Milwaukee, hitachi, dewalt etc all day hated ryobi but this is where thdy stepped up the game. 3 speed settings, 800ft lb torque too…and it’s legit. Has yet to crack anything I’ve tried to loosed including everything on my 99 ram. Im using it now to repair a repair i paid for 11 months ago 1600$ and im still doing it. Lesson learned

Nitroman78

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum
Theu want u to spend 500$ + for what? R u a shop mechanic? If u r u can still use it, its an absolute brute…again. I love all tje big names, i also love finding a gun for 100$ and another 3 batteries and a towering flashlight for total of 450$ …4 batteries total, 1 very large versatile flashlight and the gun, I promise u won’t be disappointed. Or dont haha

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 6

Nitroman78

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum
Those are projects im doing as we speak…redoing a job i paid 1600$ not 11 months ago, he used about 4 cases of rtv, anyone want to guess the collateral damage? Anywho. Good luck. U cant go wrong with the Milwaukee, dewalt i tell u that h will be disappointed sadly, and I love dewalt

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@ram1500rsm that charger is a good excuse to get into the 12V Fuel line now too
I only got the one HO CP3.0 as I heard it'll last as long as the 5.0 but more compact. Saving up for the HO 6.0 now

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 2

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Listen, i know snap on, Milwaukee and all those big names are calling you. But hear me out, at home depot they sell a Ryobi 1/2” dr impact wrench. At the time it was a promotion for 99$ i got an 18V hi cap gun..1 4ah battery and a charger, I laughed as I bought it, get hone charge it up and proceeded to remove my back bumper on my 99…original bumper, bolts, and rust including …it didn’t even hesitate. I looked at the gun as if it were posessed by the snap on gods. Low amd behold it continues to surprise me daily. I have since purchased 3 more battery at 89-109$ each amd also picked up this flash light that’s equivalent to a light house keeping ships feom running ashore for 50$ …everyone uas preference. I am Milwaukee, hitachi, dewalt etc all day hated ryobi but this is where thdy stepped up the game. 3 speed settings, 800ft lb torque too…and it’s legit. Has yet to crack anything I’ve tried to loosed including everything on my 99 ram. Im using it now to repair a repair i paid for 11 months ago 1600$ and im still doing it. Lesson learned
Ryobi, Ridgid, and Milwaukee are all TTI brand tools.
If you want to get more, you can get Ryobi and Ridgid cheaper (most all of the time) at Directtoolsoutlet.com or their brick and mortar stores if one is near you.
I have a bunch of Ridgid (lifetime warranty if you register them including batteries) and Ryobi and have no complaints.

Actually I have 4 impacts - 2 Ryobi, 2 Ridgid - and 9 out of 10 times use the Subcompact Ridgid or 3/8 drive HP Ryobi impacts.They do most of what I want,( lug nuts, etc), are much smaller and lighter.
The high torque Ridgid is 1500 ft/lb of power but it is just too heavy ( same as the milwaukee) so I haven't gotten that yet.
Honestly, I would rather just use a ratchet and pipe to break it loose at that point and use the mid torque (still 600 ft/lb power) wrenches.
I have since sold all of my air tools except for an air buffer and spray guns, and now have this 60 gallon air compressor sitting there doing nothing. lol

I just picked up a Ridgid impact driver (at direct tools for $60) that will do 200 ft/lb tightening and up to 500 ft/lb loosening torque. Not an impact wrench but rather an impact driver.
Also just grabbed a Ryobi die grinder - looks like a screwdriver/impact driver but uses a 1/4" collet and spins up to 22,000 rpm :)

Last edited:

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Theu want u to spend 500$ + for what? R u a shop mechanic? If u r u can still use it, its an absolute brute…again. I love all tje big names, i also love finding a gun for 100$ and another 3 batteries and a towering flashlight for total of 450$ …4 batteries total, 1 very large versatile flashlight and the gun, I promise u won’t be disappointed. Or dont haha
That wrench that you are showing is their older weaker impact wrench - the new one with 600 ft/lb is the P262 model.
The new high torque model is the PBLIW01 and it has 1,170 ft-lbs. of Breakaway Torque and 700 ft-lbs. of Fastening Torque.

The Ryobi lights are just awesome and I have a few.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For those of us using 3/8 drive impact wrenches (or 1/2" with 1/2 -3/8 adapter) check out the Makita impact socket sets at Home Depot.
Model# E-01672 and Model# E-01688 @ $15 each
and the thin wall deep impact set from Husky
Husky thin wall impact set Model# H3DHYBCOMBO20PC for $57
One note on the deep sockets, there isn't a groove for the hog ring on the wrench to fit into, so the sockets do move when installed but don't fall off as long as your hog ring is still in decent shape - a minor thing. These are the same size as the chrome sockets but using chrome sockets on an impact gun can be dangerous and often most impact sockets are too thick to fit in many places.

After all, what good is an impact wrench without sockets?

Makita impact driver bits have sold me on that brand - by far the best bits that I have used for deck or cement board screws.

Last edited:

healthyrx

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport Night
Engine
5.7 Hemi
In all reality, you shouldn't be disappointed by any of the big brands for impact wrenches. I'm partial to Dewalt so that's what I have. I have 1/2 and 3/8 impact wrenches from them and the 1/2" outperforms my 1/2" Ingersoll rand air impact hooked up to a 70 gallon air compressor set to 90 PSI.

If you need more breakaway torque than the wrench you end up with has, go to home Depot or Lowes and in the garden section and get a galvanize steel fence post for a chain link fence for about $20 and cut it to however long you want and stick that on the end of your socket wrench.

Nitroman78

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum
That wrench that you are showing is their older weaker impact wrench - the new one with 600 ft/lb is the P262 model.
The new high torque model is the PBLIW01 and it has 1,170 ft-lbs. of Breakaway Torque and 700 ft-lbs. of Fastening Torque.

The Ryobi lights are just awesome and I have a few.
It’s the 261 …it has enough ballz to break anything loose on a 21 year old engine …all i need haha, anyone on a budget or has tools that come with legs it’s a good buy , certainly not a Milwaukee,, snap on etc, just trying to save someone a buck. Im still stumped this extra bolt hole on my timing cover tho, either they never put 1 back or tjey filled with rtv…

dieseldave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ryobi, Ridgid, and Milwaukee are all TTI brand tools.
If you want to get more, you can get Ryobi and Ridgid cheaper (most all of the time) at Directtoolsoutlet.com or their brick and mortar stores if one is near you.
I have a bunch of Ridgid (lifetime warranty if you register them including batteries) and Ryobi and have no complaints.

Actually I have 4 impacts - 2 Ryobi, 2 Ridgid - and 9 out of 10 times use the Subcompact Ridgid or 3/8 drive HP Ryobi impacts.They do most of what I want,( lug nuts, etc), are much smaller and lighter.
The high torque Ridgid is 1500 ft/lb of power but it is just too heavy ( same as the milwaukee) so I haven't gotten that yet.
Honestly, I would rather just use a ratchet and pipe to break it loose at that point and use the mid torque (still 600 ft/lb power) wrenches.
I have since sold all of my air tools except for an air buffer and spray guns, and now have this 60 gallon air compressor sitting there doing nothing. lol

I just picked up a Ridgid impact driver (at direct tools for $60) that will do 200 ft/lb tightening and up to 500 ft/lb loosening torque. Not an impact wrench but rather an impact driver.
Also just grabbed a Ryobi die grinder - looks like a screwdriver/impact driver but uses a 1/4" collet and spins up to 22,000 rpm :)
So, your saying impact driver takes off lug nuts

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They can yes, but I use the impact wrench for lug nuts - though the impact driver has more than enough power to do it.

directtoolsoutlet dot com is having a big sale right now until the 3rd - 30% of factory blemish (new), 40% of factory reconditioned.
Ridgid High torque impact wrench for $140 - tool only

check out this video

Last edited:

healthyrx

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport Night
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Aight things have changed in a hurry :) I cancelled the order a few min ago as i just realized the kit i bought has a detent anvil instead of the hog/friction ring an also a 4.0 battery instead of 5.0 one. Still for $243 is a good deal but i don't want to deal with the detent anvil stuff.

I'm going to order the Milwaukee 2962-22 kit, mid torque with 2 5.0 batteries and charger for $358, still more torque combined than the stuff i have so far and super compact.
Bumping this thread to ask you how you’ve liked your Milwaukee tool so far this year? I’ll be moving away from access to my dads myriad of dewalt tools so it’s time for me to start thinking about which ecosystem I’m going to buy into.
Any complaints or second thoughts about that impact driver a year in?

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Bumping this thread to ask you how you’ve liked your Milwaukee tool so far this year? I’ll be moving away from access to my dads myriad of dewalt tools so it’s time for me to start thinking about which ecosystem I’m going to buy into.
I know this post wasn’t addressed to me but as far as I’m concerned, they’re all pretty much the same anyway. In some ways, Milwaukee might be a little bit better if you’re using these tools professionally but all in all, Milwaukee, Dewalt, Ryobi, and Makita all make pretty good cordless tools. Pretty much what it all boils down to as what are you already have because if you already have a lot of one brand, it’s a lot easier to use different accessories/batteries with your other tools.

OP
OP
ram1500rsm

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not a single complaint. It became my favorite toy :). I take with me everywhere i go where i need my toolbags recovery gear and what not. the battery last a long time.