Looking for storage ideas; need to carry a SxS in the bed too...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Hey, I'm beating the bushes for ideas on how to carry all my gear and still be able to carry a 50" wide Polaris in the truck bed. The Polaris will need the full length of the bed from the front of the bed to the back of the lowered tailgate when it's on board.

The gear I carry is a high-lift, about 2 cubic feet of recovery gear, about 10# of assorted tools, and couple of cubes of miscellany like tarps, foul weather gear and so forth. I keep that stuff in the truck always. My favorite storage above all else is a cross body tool box, but I can't make that work with the Polaris.

In the cab are two people + two dogs. I've considered folding up the rear seat and building a cabinet on which the dogs could ride as a fall back plan. But then it's hard to get the dogs in and out, and occasionally we'll have human passengers back there.

So far I've come up with this type: https://www.deezee.com/product/wheel-well-tool-box-poly-plastic/

I could also go with the side boxes that sit on the rails, however the topside type really block the view (and maybe block me getting in/out of the Polaris). The L shaped side boxes I think are too wide. There's only 6 inches width between the side rails at the back of the bed and the required width for the Polaris.

I have used the Diamondback bed covers before which can carry machines on top, but that's just too much weight up too high for me.

So, is there anything I've overlooked? At this point I'm thinking put some in the cab in a plastic bin between the front and rear seats, and put some in the wheel well type boxes above.

Thanks for your advice and comments!

LugsLeadOut84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
If you end up going with the wheel well box, consider passing on the DeeZee and go with this one: https://undercoverinfo.com/undercover-swingcase

Much better built, swings-out and is quickly removable, if needed. It costs about $20 more but is better in my opinion.

It's not huge, but I keep a tire inflator, military folding shovel, small inverter, hand tools, gloves, an old jacket, ratchet straps, jumper cables, hitch ring, etc. in it so my floor boxes are available for other things. It fits under my tri-fold tonneau. Some people put two in but I didn't want to take up too much space.

Hawkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have the “swing out box” in the bed of my truck for jumper cables, assorted hand tools, bungees, first aid kit, and I sure a few things I have forgotten. Really happy with it.

What about the bed floor storage unit with drawers? Pretty heavy duty build, could drive your Polaris up on it and use the storage under it for extra storage.
The brand I have seen and appears to be heavy duty is called “Decked”. Expensive, over a grand.

OP
OP
T

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you guys, that’s helpful. @LugsLeadOut84 that does look like a better quality box for sure. I watched the installation video. Do these rattle on rough roads / off road, or are the latch and hinges tight?

@Hawkman I have seen those Decked systems in videos, but not in person. I’ll need to review the weight capacity and figure out how to support the rear tires on the tailgate if I go that route. Present plan is boards spanning the length of the bed and tailgate. The Polaris will put about 600# dead weight on the tailgate. Long term bouncing on bad roads I expect tailgate damage without some reinforcement.

Does anyone have experience to say how well sealed those Decked trays are?

Hawkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you end up going with the wheel well box, consider passing on the DeeZee and go with this one: https://undercoverinfo.com

Much better built, swings-out and is quickly removable, if needed. It costs about $20 more but is better in my opinion.

It's not huge, but I keep a tire inflator, military folding shovel, small inverter, hand tools, gloves, an old jacket, ratchet straps, jumper cables, hitch ring, etc. in it so my floor boxes are available for other things. It fits under my tri-fold tonneau. Some people put two in but I didn't want to take up too much space.

This is the box I have. Really happy with it.

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
Hey, I'm beating the bushes for ideas on how to carry all my gear and still be able to carry a 50" wide Polaris in the truck bed. The Polaris will need the full length of the bed from the front of the bed to the back of the lowered tailgate when it's on board.

The gear I carry is a high-lift, about 2 cubic feet of recovery gear, about 10# of assorted tools, and couple of cubes of miscellany like tarps, foul weather gear and so forth. I keep that stuff in the truck always. My favorite storage above all else is a cross body tool box, but I can't make that work with the Polaris.

In the cab are two people + two dogs. I've considered folding up the rear seat and building a cabinet on which the dogs could ride as a fall back plan. But then it's hard to get the dogs in and out, and occasionally we'll have human passengers back there.

So far I've come up with this type: https://www.deezee.com/product/wheel-well-tool-box-poly-plastic/

I could also go with the side boxes that sit on the rails, however the topside type really block the view (and maybe block me getting in/out of the Polaris). The L shaped side boxes I think are too wide. There's only 6 inches width between the side rails at the back of the bed and the required width for the Polaris.

I have used the Diamondback bed covers before which can carry machines on top, but that's just too much weight up too high for me.

So, is there anything I've overlooked? At this point I'm thinking put some in the cab in a plastic bin between the front and rear seats, and put some in the wheel well type boxes above.

Thanks for your advice and comments!
Reconsider diamondback. I ran two ATVs on top. Plus I opted for the extra boxes for my gear.

423CFF3E-0390-4286-B723-698FE94D8D5B.jpeg

4F636F87-3B10-4689-ADF3-34D051865F8D.jpeg

OP
OP
T

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
@Trailmaker , I actually had a Diamondback on my last truck and agree with you, I loved it. It’s the circumstances of my use in this case that make me want a different solution. We’re snowbirds in retirement, and half the year we live a mobile lifestyle in a motorhome. So the Polaris will be essentially garaged in the PW for six months when it’s not in use. And we explore quite a bit just taking random drives through the countryside, and if we find an inviting two track or forest road, I’ll take it. That’s what the PW is for.

The Polaris along with people, dogs and gear, will have the PW maxed out, and I like to keep weight low, especially on the trails. If I was going to unload the SxS at every campsite and drive the truck without it, I’d be comfortable with a Diamondback. But the reality is I may be on a Colorado Jeep trail wrestling the big girl over some tough spots with the SxS in the bed. So my aim is to keep the PW as trail capable as possible, while the Polaris is cargo.

I hope that makes some kind of sense. The Polaris WILL get used, mostly on ATV trails and places the truck won’t fit. But I don’t want to unload it just to take the truck off roading.

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
I see your point. I would not be comfortable carrying 2,000 lbs on top my bed while off roading. Being that you have a Power Wagon might I suggest posting on the Power Wagon thread. You will get more hits from those of us in a similar situation. I now would suggest a roof rack like @Maligator has. That would hold your smaller gear you don’t use every day

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
I see your point. I would not be comfortable carrying 2,000 lbs on top my bed while off roading. Being that you have a Power Wagon might I suggest posting on the Power Wagon thread. You will get more hits from those of us in a similar situation. I now would suggest a roof rack like @Maligator has. That would hold your smaller gear you don’t use every day
@Maligator also has a rack system that could be more your style @Travelin Ram

LugsLeadOut84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Thank you guys, that’s helpful. @LugsLeadOut84 that does look like a better quality box for sure. I watched the installation video. Do these rattle on rough roads / off road, or are the latch and hinges tight?

The lid seals very tight - firm and has a turn-lock that needs some effort to operate - it's not a loose grabbing lock. The swing case release lever has never let go on it's own - it needs a firm pull. I don't hear any rattle (it's under the tonneau) as it engages pretty securely.

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited Longhorn CTD HO DRW 4x4
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
I just ordered the "decked" system for all my sh_t I need to carry in my '18 PW. It completely frees up the deck for whatever. decked.com . Good luck!

grinder1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There is these risers to tuck the rear in or the black Dodge with deck and arctic cat trail is my ride. Under deck for gear. I've driven on some sketchy roads trails and with the tire tie downs cat stays still. The deck is secured on deck rails and leg support on 4 corners in box. Roll out under deck. Deck extension flips up when not in use. Marathon truck boss deck. Sorry about the snow.

4189b28a7f46cf18bf55ce3591311f34.jpga1b0f2ddef92026ba78547591da8b2d6.jpg
12d6768da4ae039808dab4c8a1f9b517.jpgede70c011ded15d8e8b2814a8d17b217.jpg
ca92ebe96b5a498963ada9dca6f82428.jpga1ea94e90aed1d489b36537fa0ad6efe.jpg8ac8d4b2f2606df73504a204eca1f601.jpg

Last edited: