Looking to buy used 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

buckeyesfan77

Reaction score
I am looking at a 2017 1500 Hemi Quad Cab, is there anything I should know good or bad about this model?

CamperMike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Make sure they let you start it cold. Note if it has ticking on cold start (usually broken exhaust manifold bolts). When warm, ensure it isn't ticking as that would be more expensive lifter and cam work. Otherwise, water leaks are somewhat common and not too terribly hard to fix - check under the rear seats for moisture to see if it's an issue with this truck and look at the headliner for evidence of water spots.

cammed

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 ram rt
Engine
cammed 5.7
Make sure they let you start it cold. Note if it has ticking on cold start (usually broken exhaust manifold bolts). When warm, ensure it isn't ticking as that would be more expensive lifter and cam work. Otherwise, water leaks are somewhat common and not too terribly hard to fix - check under the rear seats for moisture to see if it's an issue with this truck and look at the headliner for evidence of water spots.
Yes the brake light on cab the seal can get weathered and start leaking

NETim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Yes the brake light on cab the seal can get weathered and start leaking
It's an easy fix though. Some weatherstripping will fix it. I'd replace it pre-emptively. I did.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000I1QHA8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

When I bought my '14 used, the dealer was waaaayyy ahead of me. They always made sure they started it before they let me near it.

Fortunately it turned out to just be a leaky exhaust manifold.

The truck has treated me pretty good though.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Are you buying it from a dealer or private party?

Turn the ignition to the 'run' mode and make sure all the pertenent lights come on, esp the "engine" light. And that the engine light goes off after you start it. I've seen people defeat these to mask expensive problems. It would probably be a real good idea to take it to the dealer and have them look at it. ...or a good local mechanic.

These trucks are pretty reliable but here are a few weak areas:
1) Exh manifold studs breaking (manifolds warping). A $1,200 fix
2) Air suspension (if yours has it) go flaky and is a lot of trouble as they age (I'd avoid it).
3) ABS valve block goes bad
4) Electronic Steering is starting to be a problem.
5) Cam/Lifter failure. Some never have a problem, others do. (Ram says run synthetic)

If it is lifted or has big tires, the oversize tires are hard on hubs and lifts tough on CV joints.