Low Speed Rumble/vibration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

phunahm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I developed a low speed vibration/rumble on my 2011 1500 4x4 Not sure where its coming from IE front or rear... I assumed it was the front hub bearing do to the fact it will stop if i apply brakes. It doesnt get worse with a higher speed.. while under it today I noticed the CV boot was ripped really bad so thought the shaft was helping out so I replaced the RH cv shaft and Intermediate inner shaft No go vibration still there I then lifted rear and put in gear and cant duplicate the Vibration....only does it on coasting or drive around 10-20 mph. again if I ride the brake lite it stops or speed up....... please help its very annoying

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Did you get a chance to check the rear wheel (axle) bearings? Here are thethings I'd check if it were my truck ...maybe you checked some of these things already, but:

1) Rear axle bearings: (on jackstands, wheels removed), lift up/down on axle flange. Shouldn't be any or much noticeable play.
2) Driveshaft: Trans in neutral, lift up/down vigorously on rear of driveshaft. Pay attention to the u-joint and pinion for any movement. If that feels ok, wiggle the front of the rear driveshaft by the transfer case (should be tight). Wiggle vigorously any center support bearings/bushing (if your truck has a 2-pc driveshaft). The center bearing is a known wear point that can rumble.

If this all feels tight, I would recommend removing the rear of the driveshat U-joint from the pinion, and rotate the u-joint caps by your fingers, and rotate the pinion (by hand), feeling for any roughness. Make sure when you rotate the rear pinion the driveshaft is removed and tires are off.

3) F. Wheel bearings: Jack up front wheel (leave wheel on tk), wiggle wheel vigorously with hands on the 6:00-12:00 position. Should be NO play. Push/pull in and out on the top of the tire and there should be no play (checking upper ball joints). Rotate the wheels and listen for any 'funny' bearing sounds. If it's early in a front bearing failure you may not yet hear or feel much.
4) Front Driveshaft: With axle pre-load released, wiggle front driveshaft vigorously, feeling for freeplay or roughness in the joints or splined slip joint.
5) Shocks: Inspect shocks for any oil leaks ...in case what you're hearing is wheel-hop.
6) Tires: Run hands carefully around the tires feeling for a bubble, broken chord or unevenness. If you think it might be tires, having them Road Force balanced would be a great way to catch tire-related problems. Road Force balancing is on a special Hunter balancer (the best).

Good luck!!

Last edited:

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
In addition to the above, I had a broken belt in my front tire and it caused a bit of a rumble that went away as soon as I started slowing down. It appeared to be similar to a resonance thing with the spin of the tire, so would come and go. Good luck.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Also, while inspecting the driveshaft check for rust at the u-joint needle bearing cups. That's a sure sign of u-joint failure.

OP
OP
phunahm

phunahm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well my issue was fixed.... Tires was the problem. Never using Mastercraft MXT again... . Thanks for your help guys

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
In addition to the above, I had a broken belt in my front tire and it caused a bit of a rumble that went away as soon as I started slowing down. It appeared to be similar to a resonance thing with the spin of the tire, so would come and go. Good luck.
+1
Broken belt in tire gave similar symptoms to me many yrs ago. Easy to check.