Help Support Ram Forum by donating:

Lower Dash Source?

Discussion in 'Interior' started by Spike95, Feb 1, 2020.

1. Spike95

Spike95 Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hi Guys,
    I have been looking around for a lower dash panel for my 2001 1500 Sport. I’ve already replaced the upper dash years ago, but then my heater core took a crap. I just bypassed it and went on with my life because it’s not that cold around here, but I’m starting to really wish I had defrost in our humid Texas winters though...

So, of course, this brings me to the paradox of dealing with brittle plastic. I know as soon as I take the lower dash apart it will likely be total trash. It has already started to break a little in some places. Does anyone know of a source for NOS parts for these? I’ve searched the internet and found people on forums making mention of buying them back in 2015-2016, but nothing more recent than that. Part number was 5FR41LAZAE. I don’t mind spending the money. I bought this truck new 20 years ago, and I want to keep it for life.

I have no interest in buying a used part, as it’ll likely be in nearly the same condition. I checked out Geno’s in hopes they might have something, but it looks like they have every other part except for that. Does someone know a place that still has any? Crazy to think that all of these trucks could eventually just be useless for lack of this one part being available.

Mop likes this.
  2. Stox5225

Stox5225 Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.9L Diesel
    Good luck. No one makes new. Best option is to find a part out, or one in a junk yard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SportRam00 likes this.
  3. Spike95

Spike95 Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    I appreciate your response, but unfortunately anything from a junkyard is going to be at least as old as what I’ve got and made out of the same crap material. Of all the places providing upper dash pads for these I really wish one of them would see that this is becoming a seriously needed part as well.

SportRam00 likes this.
  4. SportRam00

SportRam00 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Magnum 360
    I agree. I too would love if a company would make a new part for out crappy lower dash. I'm reluctant to do any dash work because of how fragile that plastic is.

5. Stox5225

Stox5225 Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.9L Diesel
    I gave up on the idea about a year ago. I’m going to start building myself a dash in a month or so. All sheet metal. The top I will cover in some sort of heat reflecting material because of the direct sunlight here in NC. Don’t want to melt everything underneath it!! I have a thread on CF chronicling the whole ordeal. Should be doing a cab swap here in a few weeks.

Mop likes this.
  6. Spike95

Spike95 Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    That sounds cool as hell. I’ve considered trying to fab something, but this is my daily driver, and I can’t put it out of service for the kind of time it would likely take me to complete that level of project. I’m considering doing some of the plastic repair options that I’ve found (specifically the plastic tab repair from 3M), but I’m even hesitant to do that because I could see that project turning into having my truck out of service for several days.

I might just have to pay through the nose for a junk part off of eBay, do all of the plastic repairs to it, and then swap it out. Maybe I could do the same repairs to mine and then sell it to recoup the money. Of course all of this is just time, which is at a premium in my life currently, despite my love for doing projects like that.

7. Stox5225

Stox5225 Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.9L Diesel
    Oh. My truck has been dashboardless for almost a year lol. All I need is my HVAC knobs and the cluster!!!

I’ll be piecing it together as I go. The intent is to even make it 100% easier to access the heater core and evaporate core without removing the WHOLE dash. Just that section. Should be interesting to say the least.

I tried attaching a picture, but it says it’s “spam like”? Oh well.