Lowering an 01 4x4 ??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

meistermash

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Friends, what the best way to lower a 01 4x4?
Truck is a regular cab short box.
Can I just remove the blocks on top of the axels and drop it that way?
I don't want to loose ground clearance just drop the body down what it appears like a factory body lift from those spacers. Factory everything including tire size and wheels.
Thankyou for your time.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
By ditching the blocks you're losing ground clearance.

Do you want to drop it or retain ground clearance? Those are your choices. No such thing as a factory body lift, those are rubber body mounts/isolators.

OP
OP
M

meistermash

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The axel to ground won't change in my scenario. What am I missing? Maybe mine isn't stock i'll have to look.

DD, whose grill guard is that you have there? My truck is just something I drive to work but the damn deer here like to kamakazi out in front of us. I may make one.

Buddy of mine smashed a doe with his 91 ferd and we had to break out the smith wrench to get it to take a home made scrap yard bumper. I call his truck the blue falcon. looked like he hit a bollard the way it folded the bumper.

EvilSpirit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Friends, what the best way to lower a 01 4x4?

Can I just remove the blocks on top of the axels and drop it that way?
I don't want to loose ground clearance just drop the body down what it appears like a factory body lift from those spacers. Factory everything including tire size and wheels.
Thankyou for your time.

On vehicles where the axle is under the springs, removing the block between the axle perch and the springs will lower the vehicle the height of the block. This usually requires new spring bolts, and if changing more than 1", new (shorter) shocks, since you changed the distance between the shock mounting points. This, along with anything that involves changes between the frame and ground (besides tires) is usually considered a "suspension" drop. Ground clearance on trucks stays the same, since you haven't changed the distance from the axle to the ground - the lowest point - just the axle to the body. Axle clearance is set by tire diameter, unless you add bracing trusses or other thing that hang down below the axle.

A "body" lift or drop - usually a lift - involves changing the bushings between the body mount pads and the frame pads. Easy to lift, but usually not going to be able to lower much, due to the limited height between the body/frame mounts.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
The axel to ground won't change in my scenario. What am I missing? Maybe mine isn't stock i'll have to look.

DD, whose grill guard is that you have there? My truck is just something I drive to work but the damn deer here like to kamakazi out in front of us. I may make one.

Buddy of mine smashed a doe with his 91 ferd and we had to break out the smith wrench to get it to take a home made scrap yard bumper. I call his truck the blue falcon. looked like he hit a bollard the way it folded the bumper.
Ranch Hand