Lowering issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blaster65

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2015 ram crew cab sport
Bell tech lowering springs and shocks

Really bad reared sway / wobble above 85mph
Front end bottoms out against fender liners..
Fixes ???
Looked into adjustable bars and relocation brackets for the rear.
Not sure what to do on the front.

gbark80

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2015 ram crew cab sport
Bell tech lowering springs and shocks

Really bad reared sway / wobble above 85mph
Front end bottoms out against fender liners..
Fixes ???
Looked into adjustable bars and relocation brackets for the rear.
Not sure what to do on the front.
You didn't by chance get the BT kit for regular cab did you? The springs in the regular cab kit are different than for the quad/crew cab springs. I have the BT kit and I cut the coils and there was only one bump that I would hit that caused the front to rub. Also, what size tires are you running?

Another thing that can cause the wobble is tires, uneven wear, improper air pressure, bad alignment and doesn't have to be a rear tire.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Blaster65

Blaster65

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bought the lowering kit from Moe’s. I gave the truck info when I ordered it. Should be right. I do have 1 1/2 “ of rake. I was thinking a spacer to get it level. Or maybe a stiffer spring and better shocks.
Don’t the typical death wobble in the front that 4x4s get. It’s from the rear. I’m running stock tires and wheels.

gbark80

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought the lowering kit from Moe’s. I gave the truck info when I ordered it. Should be right. I do have 1 1/2 “ of rake. I was thinking a spacer to get it level. Or maybe a stiffer spring and better shocks.
Don’t the typical death wobble in the front that 4x4s get. It’s from the rear. I’m running stock tires and wheels.
Even though I had an issue with a front tire, it caused a wobble in the rear end usually when I hit a dip on the highway around 85 on the speedo or on hard acceleration also around 85. I just happened to notice the front tire while detailing my wife's Pilot. Once I got new tires the wobble went away and I have run it up to the limiter a couple of times with no issues.
I don't know if the frame is stiff enough to transfer the vibration or not stiff enough. Either way, couldn't hurt to get tires checked, just my 2 cents.

H1Chester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI

Which kit did you get from MOES? Do you have a 4x4? If you have a 4x4 you should have got the 965SP kit.

I have the 965SP and while I've had a separate tire issue contributing to a bouncy ride, I just got a new set of Toyo Proxes S/T on and I ride much better. 65+ MPH I still have a tiny bit of rear bounce. Absolutely no sway. I'm also running a Hellwig on the center setting. I don't bottom out on the front, however my rear bump stops are very close, or are lightly touching all the time. So every now and then I bottom out. Most of the time I can adjust my tire path as I approach bumps and slow down to limit the drop. I plan on getting the AirLift 1000 airbag helper kit for dropped trucks to help that a little bit and I will probably eventually cut off the stock rear bump stop mount and attach the BT one right to the frame. I have maybe a quarter inch of rake, I sit pretty dang level.

Pics on my instagram account, link in my signature.

gbark80

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good to hear tires helped with the sway. I would say the soft ride at this point is probably shocks. Can't suggest a set with confidence, not super familiar with 4x4. There is a thread here with shocks in it if I recall. Hope you get it all worked out.

Last edited:

Kevin Barker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 16' Sport CC is lowered on a BT 2/4 kit. I had Ultimate Audio in Lexington SC order mine and also install it. Considering that they build some of of the Carolina Panthers and other NFL players cars, and they ahve built many of stereo systems for myself and hundreds of buddies here in SC. They advised me to NOT get the BT "nitro" drop shocks, and to just run my factory shocks, because my truck had only 520 miles on it when I took it there. My alignment after was off, and I was told it needed an adjustable kit to zero it back out. I am not sure about the "death wobble" because my steering wheel doesn't do the "tank slapping" part of what I consider to be a "death wobble" but holy smokes does it get to bouncing from side to side and has almost cost me the truck and probably my life... With that being said, I upgraded to QA1 "SINGLE" 18 way adjustable rear shocks, and they really are not any better than the factory ones I just took off, I had a different shop re-align my truck and they claim that I did not need a camber adjustment kit, but I can clearly see the camber is still off, but whatever adjustment they made to the front alignment raised the front of my truck back up 1/4-1/2".

I have not upgraded the front shocks, and just have not had the money to get the Hellwig sway bars, but there is a post I was reading on here the other day that specifies which QA1 shocks will work with your application. I do remember reading that if yours is a 4x4 then you need to get the illicit no cut brackets(ALMOST 100% POSITIVE), my QA1's mounted just fine without relocating anything, but mine is 2wd.

gbark80

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 16' Sport CC is lowered on a BT 2/4 kit. I had Ultimate Audio in Lexington SC order mine and also install it. Considering that they build some of of the Carolina Panthers and other NFL players cars, and they ahve built many of stereo systems for myself and hundreds of buddies here in SC. They advised me to NOT get the BT "nitro" drop shocks, and to just run my factory shocks, because my truck had only 520 miles on it when I took it there. My alignment after was off, and I was told it needed an adjustable kit to zero it back out. I am not sure about the "death wobble" because my steering wheel doesn't do the "tank slapping" part of what I consider to be a "death wobble" but holy smokes does it get to bouncing from side to side and has almost cost me the truck and probably my life... With that being said, I upgraded to QA1 "SINGLE" 18 way adjustable rear shocks, and they really are not any better than the factory ones I just took off, I had a different shop re-align my truck and they claim that I did not need a camber adjustment kit, but I can clearly see the camber is still off, but whatever adjustment they made to the front alignment raised the front of my truck back up 1/4-1/2".

I have not upgraded the front shocks, and just have not had the money to get the Hellwig sway bars, but there is a post I was reading on here the other day that specifies which QA1 shocks will work with your application. I do remember reading that if yours is a 4x4 then you need to get the illicit no cut brackets(ALMOST 100% POSITIVE), my QA1's mounted just fine without relocating anything, but mine is 2wd.
For a second I thought you were family, I'm a Barker as well.

Like I told a couple of other folks, I had no issues when I first lowered and later cut the coils, but had a front tire with a broken belt that caused me to get that wobble/sway/frightening bounce in the rear end. I couldn't believe something on the front could affect the rear end so badly, but new tires and my sway went away. Couldn't hurt to get tires at least checked out.

Last edited:

gbark80

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

And also, I don't necessarily mind just a touch of extra camber, every vehicle I have ever driven, I would always wear the outer 1-1.5 inch way before the rest of the tire up front. I know it is from generally cornering too fast so if a little camber helps them wear a little more evenly and get a couple of extra miles, I'm all for it.

Brayanjv

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L

Is there any 3/5 kits for the 2016 ram sport that you know about been looking everywhere but haven’t doing anything