Lowering/Towing - (Total newb, thanks for your patience)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Maxtodon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Hi All.

I know there are multiple lowering/towing threads already, so thanks for putting up with yet another one.

I'll confess - I started this one because many of the others contained assumptions of information/knowledge I don't have (yet).

I will soon take delivery of my first truck ever - a 2019 1500 Classic Crew Cab 4x4 5.7L with a 3.92 gear/locking diff and trailer brake controller. This truck will function as my daily and see regular towing duty (4200 lb race car + car trailer) and 2 -3 time a year heavy snow duty. It will never go off road.

I am interested in maybe lowering it 2/4 for two reasons - 1. I like the look and 2. it will make it easier for my (short) wife and (young) kids to get in and out.

I am curious to know what effect a 2/4 drop would have on my ability to tow the car and car trailer. I can't imagine towing anything else in the foreseeable future - certainly not anything bigger/heavier.

Provided installing a complete Belltech 2/4 drop kit (or similar) would not severely compromise my ability to tow the car and trailer, are there additional components the more experienced folks here would recommend to optimize the set up? I have seen Airlift 1000s mentioned, but don't really know anything about helper bags.

This is my first new vehicle in a long time - and there won't be one again soon - so I'm willing to invest a little money, time and effort to get the set up right.

Thanks a ton in advance for your help and insight. Much appreciated.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Given your race car with trailer and other stuff that will be loaded, I'm guessing it will be into the 7K lbs range and probably tongue weight will be on the heavier end.
Your probably going to want to look into at least an air bag suspension for the rear. The Airlift 1000's might not give you the height adjustability to keep the truck rear from dragging. Mounting room for axle to frame helper airbags may not be possible loosing the rear suspension height.
Tire and rim size will also be a consideration, as lower profile tires will not tolerate the abuse from road deformities.

6speed4.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
E95628F6-7A6B-4E99-83C2-225E3BD4FA34.jpeg Towed this about 50miles
Not too bad, cruised at around 60
Weighed about 3000lbs+ and a heavy construction trailer
Hate towing, not a trailer guy at all
Just the normal Durango bags at 30lbs.
Not sure how the extra 1200lbs would effect you...

OP
OP
M

Maxtodon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Thank you all for your responses.

Sounds like I need to do a little more research/get more educated.

Your probably going to want to look into at least an air bag suspension for the rear.

Is there one you'd recommend me investigating?

Tire and rim size will also be a consideration, as lower profile tires will not tolerate the abuse from road deformities.

My intention would be to stay with the tock wheels and tires, I like the look.

View attachment 164245 Towed this about 50miles
Not too bad, cruised at around 60

Nice. Good to know something comparable can be done with a not-too-major set up.

Is this the product you recommend for this application?

https://timbergroveenterprises.com/shop/09-17-ram-1500-4-lowering-crm

If so, can you shed any light on using them with a full air suspension vs not?

Thanks a ton, Everyone.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
There was a guy on Ram1500Diesel forum that was working with Steve @ Timber Groves a couple of years ago to R&D an air bag coil replacement for his EcoDiesel that he dropped with a McGaughy's 2/4 drop kit. He originally had a set of AirLift 1000s but wasn't happy with them when loaded or towing.
Timber Groves has lots of satisfied customers. The only odd thing I've heard about them, supposedly they told someone on this forum that they wouldn't need to use a WDH while towing a trailer.
Rear airbags are not a replacement for using a WDH. Using just airbags will make the front axle even lighter.

circuitguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram Tradesman Regular Cab
Engine
5.7L HEMI

Nice. Good to know something comparable can be done with a not-too-major set up.

Thanks a ton, Everyone.

Yes, this is the one you would use with a 2/4 drop. You would just fill each bag manually or buy a air compressor kit to so from the cab. These bags will allow you to tow your heavy loads without sag in the rear, you would drive level as you should. I also recommend that you install a set of rear axle relocation brackets to help put the rear end geometry make to factory specs as it was before lowering, we call them "no cut" or "cut" brackets. They both mount the same but the cut brackets will give you more axle travel before bottoming out on the frame. You can see and rear about them at the following links.

https://ihcsuspension.com/product/2009-2018-dodge-ram-4-link-relocations-brackets-cutting-required

https://ihcsuspension.com/product/2009-2018-dodge-ram-4-link-relocation-brackets-no-cut-kit

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Maxtodon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Yes, this is the one you would use with a 2/4 drop. You would just fill each bag manually or buy a air compressor kit to so from the cab. These bags will allow you to tow your heavy loads without sag in the rear, you would drive level as you should. I also recommend that you install a set of rear axle relocation brackets to help put the rear end geometry make to factory specs as it was before lowering, we call them "no cut" or "cut" brackets. They both mount the same but the cut brackets will give you more axle travel before bottoming out on the frame. You can see and rear about them at the following links.

https://ihcsuspension.com/product/2009-2018-dodge-ram-4-link-relocations-brackets-cutting-required

https://ihcsuspension.com/product/2009-2018-dodge-ram-4-link-relocation-brackets-no-cut-kit

Thank you, very helpful!

Ramcharger60

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 crew cab sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Thanks a ton, Everyone.
I have the air lift 1000 and Air Lift Wireless One gen 1 I will sell if you decide to go with drop springs. I actually have 4" drop and 6" drop rear springs also. The air lift/ spring set up is a year old. It would not work for my new camper with over 1200# tongue weight so I went with the timber grove set up.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk